How far I can shoot with 65 MOA scope

You can figure it out easy enough. You need to know the BC and velocity of your bullet and plug it in to ballistics calc along with enviro conditions, etc. It will give you your drops in MOA at whatever yardage increments you choose.

The configuration of your scope is the next consideration. With 65 MOA of travel, you will have probably about half of that for up travel - 32 MOA. If you use a 20 MOA base, you can gain another 20 MOA for a total of 52 MOA. With a 65 MOA scope, 30 MOA bases would be ideal, giving you 62 MOA or so, and the ability to use all of your scope's travel. If you were shooting a .7 BC bullet @ 3000 fps you could zero out to about 2100 yards @ 1000' elevation.

My Scopes have MOA reticules allowing an additional 30 MOA of holdover. If your scope has a similar reticule you can add whatever it is to your range.

You can figure it out easy enough. You need to know the BC and velocity of your bullet and plug it in to ballistics calc along with enviro conditions, etc. It will give you your drops in MOA at whatever yardage increments you choose.

The configuration of your scope is the next consideration. With 65 MOA of travel, you will have probably about half of that for up travel - 32 MOA. If you use a 20 MOA base, you can gain another 20 MOA for a total of 52 MOA. With a 65 MOA scope, 30 MOA bases would be ideal, giving you 62 MOA or so, and the ability to use all of your scope's travel. If you were shooting a .7 BC bullet @ 3000 fps you could zero out to about 2100 yards @ 1000' elevation.

My Scopes have MOA reticules allowing an additional 30 MOA of holdover. If your scope has a similar reticule you can add whatever it is to your range.

I am considering S&B 5-25x56 PM II/LP on SAKO TRG .338 LM which has 65 MOA.

I am considering S&B 5-25x56 PM II/LP on SAKO TRG .338 LM which has 65 MOA.

If you set it up with a 40 moa base so you can use all 65 moa up,and zero at 300 yards. With a 300 Berger at 2800 fps the 338 LM, with 65 moa up, will get you to a mile or just past depending on your altitude.

I had this set up when I had the 8~32 NXS on mine.

Jeff

If you set it up with a 40 moa base so you can use all 65 moa up,and zero at 300 yards. With a 300 Berger at 2800 fps the 338 LM, with 65 moa up, will get you to a mile or just past depending on your altitude.

I had this set up when I had the 8~32 NXS on mine.

Jeff

With a 40 MOA base, were you able to zero @ 200 yds?

With a 40 MOA base, were you able to zero @ 200 yds?

Can't remember. I only used the scope for practice one summer then went back to a 5.5~22 for the added 35 moa of elevation. It will depend on several things though when packing it all this tight.

1: the total real world elevation of the scope. Could be 65 or could be 68 or even 62. they very seldom land on the exact advertised number.

2: the accuracy of the base cant and the top of the receiver and how they bed together. Again, you could get 40 moa or you could easily get 43 or 37 or something like that.

3: the ring height would also come into play.

To the best of my memory I think I still had 1 or 1.25 moa below zero. I never max them out for a zero. So I probably could have zeroed at 250 but like I said I prefer to be off the bottom at least 1 moa.

Jeff

I have a setup similar to what the OP is thinking of. I have a 338 Allen Xpress shooting a 300grn berger at 2975. I have a 20moa rail as well. With the nightforce 8-32 I can just almost get a mile (1740) at 3500ft elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts