How far can a 308 responsibly take game?

As far as you can reliable hit an 8" target. The .308 is really not a 1000 yd round. Mine will make it on some days and others it is too unstable. And the wind moves it so much compared to other rounds. The reason to shoot a big fast magnum is not killing energy, its wind deflection, B.C. and velocity.

The 308 can be a pretty consistent 1000yd gun when loaded for properly.
It simply doesnt contain the min velocity, and energy to get bullets to operate as intended at those ranges with the majority of bullets available. However its not impossible.

The picture is a cold bore three shot group at 1000 yards with my 308 and the 215 gn hybrid.
Vel 1509 fps
Energy 1087 ft lbs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 47
mmh,

You're already dialed in. You know that there is a huge difference between bench shooting and hunting. When you're high in mountains where breathing is labored and heart rate is off an EKG, long range big game killing ain't a good bet.

Your .308 Win will kill everything in North America. An old world record elk was killed in Alberta with a .303 British.

I'd rather have a .308 Win that I am confident shooting than a magnum that I ain't.

You won't need tricked out bullets. A regular Partition will get the job done. Even factory Core-Lokts will work. Moreover, know the rate-of-twist of your barrel. You might not be able to stabilize a bullet much heavier than 180 grains. A bullet fired from a .308 Win will easily kill any elk as long as it goes where it needs to be.

Now here's what I'd do based upon my experience. If you see a far off bull that you want to kill, stop and assess. Watch him for as long as practical. If he hasn't detected you, you'll have a huge advantage. Try to predict what he's going to do and where's he's likely going. Survey the terrain. Try to figure out a way to close the distance. I know that there are a few hunters who can kill big game a long ranges. I think it's far more wise to get as close as possible in order to increase odds of success. Carefully stalk your bull until you can't get closer. If time is on your side; e.g., bull is feeding, use it. Get yourself rested and calm. Find a steady rest. Take steady and careful aim where his important parts are so that you can immediately reduce his blood pressure to zero. Then send a .308 Win bullet into his thorax, and prepare yourself for strenuous work.

When he's mounted on your wall, it won't be how far away he was when you killed him that you'll remember. It will be your hunting skill that allowed you to stalk to within humane killing distance that you will. Best memories are of successful hunts. Your mounted elk will evidence your hunting success.

The .308 Win is one of our most popular big game cartridges for a reason, and it's extremely popular with Rocky Mountain hunters. About a year ago I read an article that indicated that the .308 Win has surpassed the venerated '06 in popularity.

A .300 mega-magnum will not kill any deader than a .308 Win as long as bullets from each destroy parts necessary for pumping oxygenated blood to any animal's brain. The huge benefit of the .308 Win, at least how I see it, is that it is chambered in far lighter rifles and won't loosen teeth during bench shooting sessions.

I wish you that absolute best of luck with your rifle and many successful hunting seasons.

The 308 can be a pretty consistent 1000yd gun when loaded for properly.
It simply doesnt contain the min velocity, and energy to get bullets to operate as intended at those ranges with the majority of bullets available. However its not impossible.

The picture is a cold bore three shot group at 1000 yards with my 308 and the 215 gn hybrid.
Vel 1509 fps
Energy 1087 ft lbs
nice shooting I would shoot a deer with that combo. What are those 215s starting at?

nice shooting I would shoot a deer with that combo. What are those 215s starting at?

I dont know. Thats still a bit out of my comfort range, and the velocity is on the low end of expansion. If i shanked it into the ribs that deer would have a hell of a head start.
Id play it safe and stay under 800.

Thats not to say the combo isnt capable.

It leaves right around 2600.

I dont know. Thats still a bit out of my comfort range, and the velocity is on the low end of expansion. If i shanked it into the ribs that deer would have a hell of a head start.

I hear that, its still impressive and would make a fine steel banger at 1000

Canadian bushman.... Are you shooting those berger 215s out of a 308? If so... What's your load man... Powder & weight, case, primer, coal, barrel length? I don't care which way I run the numbers in Quikload, or using which powder.... The most velocity I seem to get out of a 308 using a 215 hybrid, is low to mid 2300s. Bumping up to 2600 sees pressure hitting 85,000 psi plus. Even in a 3006, 2600 fps seems out of reach, and it's more in the realm of a 300 win mag.

Please send me your load cause I really got to check it out. Thanks.

-James

Canadian bushman.... Are you shooting those berger 215s out of a 308? If so... What's your load man... Powder & weight, case, primer, coal, barrel length? I don't care which way I run the numbers in Quikload, or using which powder.... The most velocity I seem to get out of a 308 using a 215 hybrid, is low to mid 2300s. Bumping up to 2600 sees pressure hitting 85,000 psi plus. Even in a 3006, 2600 fps seems out of reach, and it's more in the realm of a 300 win mag.

Please send me your load cause I really got to check it out. Thanks.

-James
wonder if you could break 2600 with reloader 17 in a 24in 3006?

wonder if you could break 2600 with reloader 17 in a 24in 3006?

Yeah gohring... With the 3006… and R19...quikload comes in about 2600 fps or so max... And that's with a 28" barrel... With a more resonable 24" barrel... I'm getting 2550 fps max. I can see if you had a fast barrel... And were on the ragged edge of max pressure... 2600 might be reachable with a standard length barrel. But with a 308...???? I gotta see how he's getting that.... Cause if it is doable.... It would breathe life into what many consider to be inadequate as a 1k cartridge. If 2600 is attainable... Shooting 215gr pills... Without blowing your face off and gun up, that would be amazing.

Dude... Send us your load!!!

I'm very easily running a 215 Berger from my 308 at 2438 fps, very mild load with Varget but I can seat them way out and a 26 in barrel. I would not be surprised if I coated bullets and used R17 I could push 2600fps. But it shoots so excellent I'll just let the BC do the work. I'm using it for elk this year and at my elevation in the right conditions I won't be passing an elk inside 1000 yards.

I'm very easily running a 215 Berger from my 308 at 2438 fps, very mild load with Varget but I can seat them way out and a 26 in barrel. I would not be surprised if I coated bullets and used R17 I could push 2600fps. But it shoots so excellent I'll just let the BC do the work. I'm using it for elk this year and at my elevation in the right conditions I won't be passing an elk inside 1000 yards.

Bigngreen... What do you consider to be a mild load? I'm showing 103% compressed load at 40.22 grains of varget to get a velocity of 2441... And pressure sitting at 62516. This is for a bullet with a coal of 2.885.

If I lengthen the coal to 2.925... 40.22 grains of varget and 101% fill to get it out at 2430 fps... With a pressure of 60347. To get to 2600... You have to bump it up to 43.63 grains of varget... Which is way up there at 78,126 psi.

Both loads at 40.22 grains are listed as dangerous in quikload... Albeit... It's the first dangerous warning.

I think your load is right there on the edge pressure wise... I definitely wouldn't consider your load to be mild.

My COAL is 3.180, I'm no where near a compressed load with 42 grains of Varget, plenty of room for powder and pressure :D

Trust me I'm not pushing it, I developed this load in Win brass and even then it had very rounded primers and other signs of mild pressure. I'm running Lapua Palma brass which I can red line if I want but with so much BC not much need so I'm camping on this node through hunting season then I'll find out where we can go with it by HBN coating and R17.http://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Bigngreen... Yeah... That looks good... Sitting at 55.6k and 96% fill... Gads you are seating those out there a little ways! :D Ok... I was going to work up some loads for my 300 wm... But I might have to break out the varget and see what happens with my 308! D@mn you!!! Ha:D

You can get 2500-2600'sec in a 26-28" 308 with H4350 and the 215 hybrid. You can't get enough H4350 in the 308 case to be over pressured.

I'm getting 2550'sec with stupid low extreme spreads and 1/2 to sub 1/2 MOA over a variety of powder charge weight. That's with small rifle primers. Large or large mag primers would offer a bit more velocity.

My favorate hunting load right now is the 210ABLR over H4350 as well. 2601'sec which at 5000' delivers more than the magic '1000 foot pounds a 1K yards. Over 1200'pounds to be exact. Windage is barely more than a 6.5-284. 1/2 MOA consistently. With the lower velocity for expansion threshold, 1200'pounds at a grand at altitudes I hunt, why is my 308 not a 800 or 1000 yard hunting rifle? 200 pounds more than the 6.5-284 and only 8 more inches of wind at 10MPH/1K seems pretty reasonable seeings how most here are of the opinion that the 6.5-284 is a legitimate 1k yard deer rifle. A little more recoil sure but more ability to securely anchor game in return for the recoil. Better barrel life too.

Not here to bash the 6.5, just showing where if the 6.5 can do it, the 308 (with the right load) sure as he!! can too.

M

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.