How do You Practice getting consistent cheek weld without putting excessive pressure on the rifle ?

DSheetz

Just wondering how others do it and teach others how to ? Hunting and at the bench .

With my daughter I set up a target at home and have her do dry fire drills with boresight laser have a sightmark with a magnet that attaches on the end of the muzzle of the barrel with a strong magnet. If the laser moves when she presses the trigger either her cheek weld or other items in her mechanics are off. Seems to work well as she does well at the range.

Just wondering how others do it and teach others how to ? Hunting and at the bench .
I practice at home or at the bench by touching the point of my chin to the top of the stock and sliding my face down. I do with eyes closed after aligning on the tgt and then when in position can open eyes and see if I moved the POA too much.

I go through several dry-fire & breathing sequences before sending anything down range. Pretty much all of my shooting is done from the prone position and I take great pains to make sure that my (this is going to sound weird) Zygomatic Bone 'feels' like it's in the spot it should be on top of the cheek rest/riser. I keep it anchored in the same spot until I'm finished with the shot sequence.

D48D4B3A-FE4D-4EC0-BD46-12B4E34CAEEE.jpeg
Please pardon the feeble attempt at the anatomy lesson. 🤣😂

Dry fire and shooting dots. Go slow and do it often. It is a diminishing skill. Anybody can tell something was wrong after the rifle goes off, the goal is to notice it before you shoot, adjust, and make a good shot. . It is a hard habit to break when you feel it in your subconscious but pull the trigger anyway. Slow down and listen to your body.

Last edited:
Best way is to make the gun fit you not you having to fit the gun that was made clear to me after having my neck broke and had to change every set of rings I own to accommodate setting scopes farther back with adjustable combs. David

Best way is to make the gun fit you not you having to fit the gun that was made clear to me after having my neck broke and had to change every set of rings I own to accommodate setting scopes farther back with adjustable combs. David
yes I was a 3-P shooter and then a couch so I always used rifles that were fully addable and do the same thing with all my long range hunting rigs Adj LOP, canting butt plate and adj cheek pc prone is a different LOP then standing sitting ect

With my daughter I set up a target at home and have her do dry fire drills with boresight laser have a sightmark with a magnet that attaches on the end of the muzzle of the barrel with a strong magnet. If the laser moves when she presses the trigger either her cheek weld or other items in her mechanics are off. Seems to work well as she does well at the range.
A Mantix10X laser is a great tool for practicing trigger control. Can record and play back for shooter to study. Especially helpful for young shooters as they can actually see and compare techniques and various techniquesin the rifle steadiness during trigger actuation.

When I shot high power with a sling building a position was critical. Consistent cheek weld is necessary because your eye is part of the sighting system. To build a natural point of aim the goal was to relax then open your eyes and the sight should be on the target. You dont want to muscle the gun. With a scope that has parallax adjustment your eye is no longer part of the sight and cheek weld is not necessary. You still need to build a natural point of aim, but your eye can be anywhere. Hard cheek weld has some down sides. Your muscles can flex subliminally when you break the shot. My advice is to flex your cheek muscles and if the gun moves, get off of it a little. A light touch to find the scope is all you need. This applies to a hunting situation with a supported rifle. There are other types of shooting that a cheek weld is needed, but I do not believe LR hunting is one of them.

I simply place my cheek on the comb to the point where only the skin of my cheek forms around(against) the contour of the comb. No pressure against the cheekbone. In this position, the eye should naturally center in the scope. This has given me the best results with no vertical stringing...the sure indicator of an inconsistent cheek weld.

I go through several dry-fire & breathing sequences before sending anything down range. Pretty much all of my shooting is done from the prone position and I take great pains to make sure that my (this is going to sound weird) Zygomatic Bone 'feels' like it's in the spot it should be on top of the cheek rest/riser. I keep it anchored in the same spot until I'm finished with the shot sequence.

View attachment 239976
Us common folk refer to that as yer cheek bone. ;-)

View attachment 239976
I've beening hunting KY 20++yrs your the first one with ALL ya teeth.LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.