How do You Practice getting consistent cheek weld without putting excessive pressure on the rifle ?

Just wondering how others do it and teach others how to ? Hunting and at the bench .
Instead of "practicing" from a benchrest all the time; practice and check zero from the field positions you would use while hunting. You will be surprised how the zero "can" wander due to different pressure from hands, shoulder and cheek. -Ed

Instead of "practicing" from a benchrest all the time; practice and check zero from the field positions you would use while hunting. You will be surprised how the zero "can" wander due to different pressure from hands, shoulder and cheek. -Ed
Very good suggestion. Proper, effective position building is critical to shooting well.

Lionel and Pro2A , And thus the reasoning behind the question . I seldom do more then sight in at a bench then refine my zero in my hunting positions so was wondering how others do it plus Mr. Wheeler made a comment about getting off the gun when shooting so I was interested as to what he meant and how others accomplish this . Thank you all for your replies . I have never shot competitively and haven't had any formal training just studied on my own reading ect. . My time in the service didn't include a lot of training at the range or in the class room but I got OJT when they sent me overseas the UDT's helped me a lot then .

Like many have mentioned. Practice how you shoot. That mean ear protection same as in the field. It's tough to get in the same spot with some wall world muffs as it is with in ear plugs. I shoot a lot of long range archery it it's same as long rang shooting. Whatever feels natural and repeat it. If it's your cheek just touching or the tip of your nose. It's the same for me with archery when the string touches the right spot you should be able to open your eyes d let it go. Find a stock / ring height that allows for a natural soft touch and an open your eyes, let it go feeling. If you have to wiggle around to see the sight picture just keep changing little things. Add some padding to the rest or something. Once you find that point you can change the equipment to match.

I get down behind the gun with BOTH eyes closed. Open my eyes, if the cheek weld and scope/stock setup is right I will be able to open both eyes and see no black ring in the scope. If it's not right I adjust the rifle to me so that it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.