How do you pack your rifle for a long hike?

howlemup

I am curious what everyones preferred method of packing there heavy rifle is for a long trek? Pics and a description of rifle weight and gear would be much appreciated. I am in the process of looking for a pack that has a scabbard that can accommodate a rifle with 28" barrel, B&C A5, NXS 5.5x22x50 and Atlas bipod w/QD. Thanks in advance.

I have a Barney's of Alaska Hunter pack and I strap the rifle to the outside back of the pack. It has a buckle mounted butt pocket and then I run the compression straps across the rifle. It allows for reasonably quick access and balances straight up the middle of the pack so its jot lopsided.

i use an eberlestock pack, i got that on because there is an internal sleave for the gun up next to my back the pocket keeps it from flopping around and keeps the weight in close to my body. I Had used a different pack for a while where is bucked on the out side of the pack but i had issues with having to remove the gun to get in the pack, if the zippers were at the top of the pack they would unzip and the gun would flop around a lot, plus the gun was exposed to all the elements unlike being in a pocket. The gun was also a lot harder to unstrap if i was in a hurry to get it off instead of just sliding it up and out.

I used just a sling for a while but always hated all the weight just hanging off one shoulder and it was always hard for me to carry a pack and the gun on a sling.

I use the eberlestock Team Elk pack. The built in scabbard is pretty tight with larger rifles so the rifle you mentioned might not be very quickly accessed. I have carried all my guns in it including a 20lb 338 LM its not the easiest getting in and out but the way its rides along my spine is the most comfortable way ive found to carry a heavy rifle

I have an Eberlestock J34 and it will haul a lot of stuff very comfortably and the rifle. It is very comfortable to me and I like the way the rifle rides close to my body. It's not that hard to get my rifle out of the scabbard. See if you can try all packs on that you are interested in and see which one fits you best. Good Luck to You.

+1 on the Eberlestock. The two rifles I carry weight right at 12lbs, one with a 27" barrel and one with a 26". It is the least uncomfortable way I have carried over long distance and not difficult to get your rifle out with a little practice. They make many different models, I bet you can find one to suit you.

Not knocking Eberlestock but gave up on it for a number of reasons after hiking a couple hundred miles total with one. Been using a Kifaru Gunbearer for about 5 years now and will never go back.

The Gunbearer will work on just about any type pack.

I have a Grovtec backpack sling for my 15 lb 7STW. It in conjunction with side mounted flush cup sling mounts make it quite comfortable to carry. It is ideal for day hunts walking in from a road.

I use a Kifaru gunbearer with my Kifaru Mountain Warrior pack on a duplex frame. But just like cowboy said, they make a universal gunbearer that will work with any pack.

I have a Barney's of Alaska Hunter pack and I strap the rifle to the outside back of the pack. It has a buckle mounted butt pocket and then I run the compression straps across the rifle. It allows for reasonably quick access and balances straight up the middle of the pack so its jot lopsided.

Not alot of experience back pack hunting but I used the same setup as 86alaskan on my Dall sheep hunt. Never had any trouble with movement and is certainly out of the way.

I have an eberle gun runner for a Rem 700 with 28" barrel, 5.5X22X50 nightforce and a Harris bipod. Snug fit but I did shoot a deer within second of having the pack on and a deer already on the move. Dropped the pack off my shoulders to the ground, slid the gun straight out the top, flipped the legs down on the Harris and dropped to prone. It happened fast but I will say it was smooth with no hitches. I like the setup. I'm sure there are other good options as mentioned above but that is what I use and it works for me.

Eberlestock Team Elk here. I carried my 28" barreled R700 @ 12# for 5 days of deer season, and a 27" R700 @ 13# for 6 days of elk season last year. I also routinely carry my 28" 15#+ rifle all over as well.

The packs are kind of heavy empty, but comfortable on my back. Add all of the stuff I carry, and I am betting it is 35-40#, up and down mountains, for 6-8+ miles/day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.