How do you mount a Scope?

JP Hunter

Now anyone can put a base and rings on a scope. But I need a procedure on how to level and get the right fit at the same time. I did look on here for the right angle mounting procedure and found Determining Correct Scope Base Angle. But nothing on leveling the scope properly.

I just ordered a new thumb hole laminated stock for my REM700 300RUM and will use the guide lines given by Shawn of Defensive edge to fit the gun to me. Then work on a load.

This is the same gun that had the "click boom" problem. This rookie sent the gun back to Rem when the problem turned out to be bad powder. We think. Shoot fine with new powder. But got a new trigger and firing pin out of it. So we will see.

Thanks for all the help guys!gun)JP

The Wheeler tool assumes the receiver is true and level accross the raceway. Some actions are just not built that way. The way I have done it is to hang a plumb bob on a string down the side of a shed and set up my rifle on sand bags, on a portable table about 20' away form the string and plumb bob - as close as I can get to it and still have enough focus to see the string through the scope. Then I align the verticle (windage) reticle with the center of the bore by eyeballing it. Then I tighten the scope down. Then I adjust the anti-cant level on my scope to level. Then I take it out to the range and confirm it a 100 yds by shooting zero, then 20 MOA down, then 40 MOA up (20 MOA above zero) then back to zero You need about a 4' piece of ply wood or cardboard, with a straight line drawn on it to do this. And you need to use a level to plumb the line when you set it up. It worked perfect for me the last time I did it.

Another member suggested the Leupold Zero Point Boresighter which looks very interesting to me.

Leupold Zero Point Boresighter - MidwayUSA

Good shooting,

-Mark

I use the Leupold zero point when leveling a scope. My way is a bit wacky but with my OCD disorder it works. First, I level the rifle usually with a file carefully place in the action across the rails. Then I level the zero point with a small torpedo level across the top. I then level the crosshairs to the "reticle" in the zero point and tighten down the rings with the proper eye relief. Now my OCD kicks in and I think something has moved and I take it all apart and do it again, after repeating this a couple of times I will take the rifle to range and zero the rifle at 100 yards and then dial in 500 yards and shoot it at 100 yards and check for perpendicularity with a level.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.