How do you lower S.D.?

Post #2 - Shooting contests

If the two of you are going to have a shooting contest would you kindly remember that this forum is not benchrest central and try to use a little imagination and think up something like "Most Priarie Dogs Killed Past 1K in a 20 mph Wind in One Hour". Also I would appreciate y'all posting a video of the contest afterwards.

aww crap.. see this is my point..

lotsa people out there saying it but no proof.

UncleB.. got pics of oval holes at 100 and round ones at 500?

That would proove it.

Amazing we can even drive a bullet straight with all that happens.
WOW on this thread we have had 19 different people make 59 posts on this thread, people have their opinions and view points.
Obviously there are some that I disagree with, Steve Shelp, Reloader and parts of JECustoms (when he talks of bullets having brains). this I can deal with try to learn something from and move on. WEDA on the other hand is a whole different story.
I made a mistake by saying that his comments did not warrant a post,quite clearly they do.
every one else on this thread if I disagree or agree they still have a point they are trying to make.
WEDA seems to have an absense of any Cognitive function not making any sense even to himself, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
UB

Oh thank goodness,I am still at Longrange Hunting, the way you guys was going at it I thought I had drifted over to the HIDE.

WOW on this thread we have had 19 different people make 59 posts on this thread, people have their opinions and view points.
Obviously there are some that I disagree with, Steve Shelp, Reloader and parts of JECustoms (when he talks of bullets having brains). this I can deal with try to learn something from and move on. WEDA on the other hand is a whole different story.
I made a mistake by saying that his comments did not warrant a post,quite clearly they do.
every one else on this thread if I disagree or agree they still have a point they are trying to make.
WEDA seems to have an absense of any Cognitive function not making any sense even to himself, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
UB

UncleB

I think you miss quoted me . I said that bullets have "NO" brains, but thats
ok because I enjoy a good debate as long as it doesen't get personal.

This was an interesting subject but unfortunately It looks like we scared
KQguy into buying a different rifle rather than fix his problem.

If this is the case then I apologize to KQguy for my part in it if any!!!!
And I wish him luck with the new rifle.

J E CUSTOM

UncleB

I think you miss quoted me . I said that bullets have "NO" brains, but thats
ok because I enjoy a good debate as long as it doesen't get personal.

This was an interesting subject but unfortunately It looks like we scared
KQguy into buying a different rifle rather than fix his problem.

If this is the case then I apologize to KQguy for my part in it if any!!!!
And I wish him luck with the new rifle.

J E CUSTOM
JE,
This post had nothing to do with me buying a different rifle,I just wanted a Savage because there are alot more options for customizing,overall it is just better suited for long range shooting as opposed to my Browning.Regardless of what rifle I shoot,I will alway's try to get the SD down to a minimum.I don't see how any rifle could group well if it had a big swing in velocity.
KQguy

Now uncleb... you take on personal attacks when not warrented.

If a bullet is pitching and yawing is it not going to leave a non circular hole in paper?

Hey I could be wrong, but seems reasonable.

I didn't bring this topic up I simlpy am looking for the correct answer and there seems to be many of them. While it is easy to read a book and quote someone it is a whole other story to actually do somthing and validate the data.

Reviewing the majority of posts over , wow a few years. Looks like this is your site. I appologise if I upset you.

I didn't bring this topic up I simlpy am looking for the correct answer

Weda,
Funny you should say the above quote 'cause it doesn't seem like you are. I gave you personal experience and examples of the topic. Then you request research and data from other sources. So, I gave you some from a book word for word. Then you say this:
While it is easy to read a book and quote someone it is a whole other story to actually do somthing and validate the data.

I am starting to think UB is right, you have no validity! Perhaps your just trolling along, admiring the view, and you haven't noticed that fish are jumping into your boat?

Wow kid your pretty good.

There has been data given., text quoted, opinions discussed.
From the observer looking in it is difficult to tell who is right, without doubt.

I too have read numerous books, articles, summaries etc.

You can quote any book you want. However, I'm a fact finder not a blanket believer because a guy who knows his doo-doo says so.

The Gov't says area in 51 there is no UFO's or traces of them. SO I guess tis true.

I've fired my share of projectiles down range was well, more than likely 2500-3000 rounds a year on average. Some more some less.
I personally have never experienced MOA at 100 yards and then sub MOA further out. Thats not to say it doesn't happen. Maybe I just have been lucky.

I was pretty sure I felt comfortable on my position on this specific topic. However, I'm not so sure now. I'm back to a fact finding mission. Seems no-one can agree as whom is correct. regardless of text quoted.

However, you seem to be very sure you are always correct. Interesting perspective from a young pup.

There has been data given., text quoted, opinions discussed.
From the observer looking in it is difficult to tell who is right, without doubt.

Only if the observer is blind. So far, ALL the evidence of the topic has been from the supportive side. NONE has come from you. I challenge you to show me any data at all done by reputable sources disclaiming bullet yaw, precession, or nutation dampening. Lets see it.

I too have read numerous books, articles, summaries etc.

Really? I couldn't tell. You have no supportive information so did you forget what you read?

You can quote any book you want. However, I'm a fact finder not a blanket believer because a guy who knows his doo-doo says so.

So, what your saying is you won't believe anything unless it's your own theory. It won't really matter who tries to help you or who's research is printed. You have a very interesting way of learning my friend.

I've fired my share of projectiles down range was well, more than likely 2500-3000 rounds a year on average. Some more some less.

Well, you're almost 1/4 the way to how many I shoot. But numbers don't mean anything unless you are paying attention to the results of the experiments anyway. Going out and pumping 1000 rounds down a 45 acp in an afternoon at pop cans isn't going to teach you much about ballistics.

I personally have never experienced MOA at 100 yards and then sub MOA further out. Thats not to say it doesn't happen. Maybe I just have been lucky.

You mean unlucky. Or maybe just haven't had the right equipment to see it.
I was out last week shooting a factory gun that shot .987" group at 100 for 3 shots. Then I went straight from the 100 yard board out to a gong at 650 yards and stacked 5 shots into a 4.25" group. The 5 wind flags I had set out never wiggled during the entire shoot. Three people witnessed it and one of them was in the "ain't gonna believe it till I see it" crowd. Well, now he knows it.

I was pretty sure I felt comfortable on my position on this specific topic. However, I'm not so sure now. I'm back to a fact finding mission. Seems no-one can agree as whom is correct. regardless of text quoted..

Actually, since you have been the only one posting back on this for 4 pages, I would say that you seem to be the only one who can't agree and can't accept fact. Let's go back and look who has given you the same story as myself. Buffalobob, DaveWilson, UB, Boss Hoss, etc. Text quoted were Sierra and Rinker. Pretty reliable sources. It's gonna be hard finding anyone more reliable me thinks.

However, you seem to be very sure you are always correct. Interesting perspective from a young pup.

I see you have run some searches on me. Good job. I'm glad I provided volumes of personal experiences that you can ignore at any time just like you did on this thread. Btw, I'm not as young as I look but coming from an old scruff, I take this as a compliment.

Last edited:
Steve,
Having access to a nice chrono and actually using it for it's intended purpose are two different things.
No one is changing the rules here either. However, you are changing your story a bit. At first you say you have a lesser chrono that is inaccurate, then when I point out the short comings of it you automatically switch to the Oehler 43 as your alibi. Interesting. But from the way you speak, you only used it once and it was several years ago?

Goodgrouper,
There is nothing hard to understand here. I said before my views on this will probably vary as compared to the majority on this board. That is not an issue to me. But I get the impression you seem to think that there is no way to tune a long range rifle without a chrono. I simply disagree regardless of hunting or competiton application. That is all. This isn't about one way of doing something and everyone else saying, "yea what he said." I offered a simpler alternative to the original poster.

Just for the record: I went in on an M43 to do the meplat trimming experiement. So its availalble for my use when I want to. Yes I have my Pact chrono here at the house. I use it when I see the need and also understand that what it's telling me isn't 100% trueful. Like I said before, I use it to show trends rather than driving the 3 hrs to use the M43. But if the need arises and a test I want good numbers on I will drive to use the M43.

The original poster asked about a rifle that was shooting 1.5 to 2.5" groups at 100yds and what could be the issue. I simply said he should work on his load is issue and not geting a chrono to have it tell him how bad his current load isn't working. It's all in the load and getting the right powder/bullet/seating depth combination to give consistant results. But I think an important point is this. I never said your method, or anyones elses wouldn't work. I offer a simpler alternative and gave examples of when it worked for me. Work on your load first and foremost and get it grouping. Then apply any tricks you want to tweek that last 10%. That is it in a nutshell.

It is not the end all be all of load development because it is shooting at known, even distances and usually includes custom equipment which is much easier to work with.

I don't agree with your view in that shooting at paper at known distances puts less importance on velocity variation over long range hunting. Regardless of application and the actual long range distance being shot, velocity variation is important. It take a good grouping rifle to consistantly win at a long range BR match the same as it takes to hit your target while long range hunting. When you look at winning agg measurements there isn't any room to have large velocity variations to shoot 4-6" aggs at 1000yds. I guarentee you a good winning agg didn't have a large SD. I simply don't care what the SD was and I know that it's low because the groups said so. If you change your load, seating depth, or something else and vertical appears in your groups.... Opps wrong direction. All without a chrono.
As far as tuning custom equipment, I agree it's easier to tune. But if you took a survey on this site of the amount of custom equipment used here for long range hunting I think you would agree that number is pretty high. The amount of true factory rifles used on this board would probably be low. There is some darn good equipement used by members on this board. I've been in Dave Tooley's shop and seen more than one name of shooters from this board written on boxes for shipment or awaiting work. Dave isn't your average hunting rifle gunsmith. So to me your point of BR guns are easer to tune because they are all custom doesn't hold merit knowing the quality of equipment used by long range hunters.

You are the one who brought up paper punching in a somewhat condescending manner to try and intimidate others into believing your POV. It doesn't work with me because I am also a 1k paper puncher (and further) and a long range hunter and I develop loads for factory rifles that kill game at long distance. So I do two more things than you do and I do them with the help of a chronograph.

I can't help that you took my comments in that manner and it wasn't intended to intimidate anyone. I know how they were intended. I have seen too many times guys show up and shoot a BR match(es) and then they are experts because they have done it for a short time. I put up some of my credentials (against my better judgement) to simply say I have a track record over a long period of time playing this game and have seen and tested the results and I'm not someone simply blowing smoke on a long range hunting message board. Then I gave an example from last year about tuning a rifle with 3 groups at 1000yds, taking that info learned from those 3 groups and placing very well at 600yds the next weekend with the same load. Basically your "supportive argument details" you mentioned. Fact not fiction.
GG, you don't know me well enough to say how many things you do or don't do more than me. I'm a long range hunter, I jsut don't talk a lot about it. Hunting is personal to me. One of my best buddies who is much older than I am had a 6.5-300 WWH and shot deer at long range starting back in the '70 til early 2000s. I would go with him and watch. Then he let me shoot it and I was hooked. Then around '83 or so he decided to go to Willimasport to see how well his equipment would do it competition. He spent the next 15yrs going to every match. And I was with him the majority of the time. I've been going to matches ever since. Bob is retired from competition due to issue with his eyes. But we always talk shop when I see him. so he stays in the game.
I do shoot further and lesser yardages than 600 and 1000yd with various rifles. Including PPCs also. But what I learn at 600 & 1000yd competitions with several hundred rifles over a years time is invaluable once you cut through a lot of mis-conceptions about BR. There has always been a thing about hunters against BR stuff for whatever reason. If you take away the stuff about machine gunning rounds, having the rifle track in the bags, that a lot of people focus when talking about BR.. the same basic physics still apply and need to happen to place bullets in small groups or the lungs of a deer at long range. So to me they are two in the same things with different method of delivery.

I have a question. You say that you "work" on your load and you change the sd by going up .5 grain in weight. But if you aren't shooting through a chrono when you do this, how do you know if you improved your sd on that load? The paper ain't gonna tell you that the .5 grain you added reduced your sd from 15 to 5. Only a chrono can do that!

Agreed. What I have said many times already, is that reading the group tells you that. In my first post I told about taking my factory Sendero in 300 Win Mag and how the original load shot great at 100yds. But at 1000yds it had all vertical. Adjusted the load based on experience and bingo the vertical went away and shot more than 1 group in registered BR competiton in the 7"-9" range. I never used a chrono to do that load adjustment. I can't say it any more clearer than that. Those targets told me everything I needed to know. It should be noted though that 100yd targets will mask a lot of this but it becomes easy to see starting around 200 to 300yds. The old saying is that 100yds won't tell you what works, but it will tell you what doesn't work. Going back to the 1.5" to 2.5" groups. That load wasn't working at all.

Steve, I am sorry but you still simply aren't getting what the majority of the posters in this thread are telling you! We are saying that you work on your load with the help of a chronograph! I don't see what is so hard to understand here. The chrono is a tool to help in load development, not just a gadget to use in isolated experiments once in a blue moon.

GG, I can read what everyone is saying. But you seem to think it's "use a chrono or no way at all". To me that isn't the case. It's that simple. We disagree... not a problem. I load develope all the time w/o a chrono for various rifles. At one time I got really into a chrono numbers with 2 rifles but found I was wasting time setting it up, tearing it down, entering numbers in spreadsheets. Then stopped doing that and took that time and used it to concentrated on shooting and load developement. That is simply my way. That is all.

The only thing I did say and will still stand by it... goes back to the original post that said he wanted help to troubleshoot a rifle that was shooting large groups at 100yds and wondered how to reduce his SD. I said using a chrono for that was a complete waste of time knowing the size of his groups. That I truely beleive in. No matter what the rifle or application is. If he had posted saying his rifle was shooting say 3/4" or better and wanted to improve those groups, then that might merit using a chrono in his or your case. Me personally still wouldn't. But as I have said many times that is simply my way.

After several posts here I find myself saying the same thing repeatidly. So lets simply agree to disagree and leave it at that. After all KQguy doesn't own his problem rifle anymore.

Steve

Steve,

Your last post makes sense and you present it well. I have no problem agreeing to disagree with people who debate tactfully. It's the ones who don't present any evidence yet proclaim everyone else wrong that bother me.

While I disagree with your methods, our end results are similair. And you only debated the use of a chronograph not the ballistic facts of yaw, and nutation and so forth.

One other thing I would like to point out here: You said that paper tuning is sufficient and accomplishes the goal of small groups and I agree. But you also said something like "based on my experience, I will know what to do to change my load". My point is that without that experience of "knowing what to do", a beginner (like the original poster) might be better served working on the load "through" the chronograph. But again, if he knows his distance and has excellent conditions, he can paper tune and solve his problem too. I use a chronograph because my clients are wanting as much of their barrel life as possible left after I develop a load and I live out west where the spaces are wide open and winds are fierce. A calm day out here is rare and most of our shooting ranges are in the mouths of big canyons so excellent conditions to tune in at 1k are almost non-existant. With the help of a chrono, I can isolate the low sd loads and see how accurate they are at close to mid range. Then, I test them at long range and when the conditions don't cooperate, I can use my experience to seperate the natural dispersion of the load from the conditions and determine if the load is good. If the group is satisfactory in the conditions and the chrono told me previously that the sd's were good, then I know I'm on track and the rifle goes back to the client. Make sense?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts