How do you I set up 338 RUM dies for the Edge

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
So, looking for some advise or suggestions from guys that are actually using the RUM dies for their Edge. I hear people say they just "back them off" but that doesn't sound like very precise adjusting. Just looking for a little help and don't see the need to spend $200 on dies that are 0.10" longer.

Thanks

That's the only advice I could give. Back the resizing die away from the shell holder until the shoulder is barely set back on the 338 Edge fired case. The shoulder is about ~0.070" longer/forward on the 338 Edge compared to the 338 RUM - thus the need to back the resizing die ~0.070" away from the shell holder in the press.

0.070 is quite a ways. Has anyone had trouble chambering rounds in there EDGE that aren't resized to the full length?

Back the resizing die away from the shell holder until the shoulder is barely set back on the 338 Edge fired case.

This is what I do. With new .338RUM dies and .300RUM brass I set the die far enough down to fully open the neck and contact the shoulder and then slightly back it off so as not to bump the shoulder until it has fully fire formed to my chamber. Then after every firing I keep track of when the bolt meets any resistance, then I set my die to that and ever so slightly bump the shoulder till the bolt meets a faint amount of resistance. Then the die is set for my rifle's chamber.
After every step I run the brass through the rifle to check it's fit. Just make sure to wipe all the lube off before chambering each time.

I am new to the edge and am currently aquiring all the components needed for a build.
Do I need the FL .338 RUM sizing die or just the neck sizing die?
Also, I have a set of 300 RUM dies, could these be modified to use for the 338 edge?

I dont think you are going to economicaly going to change your 300 RUM dies to 338 Edge dies.

I currently use the standard 338RUM dies for my 338 Edge. The lock ring on the body of the die is adjustable. You simply thread the body into the press only enough to work with the Edge. When you find the right spot (just a teeny tiny touch of the shoulder) then you thread the lock ring down snug to the press and tighten the set screw to the die.

So far this method has worked for me flawlessly.

I am just asking, why can't you use a lyman M die to expand the neck to 338 and then use a Redding full lenght bushing die in 300rum to resize . I don't use the expander ball in any of my dies anyway just a bushing. May build me an edge one day so I will need to know. Dan

Removing the bushing from a 300 die will not work the thru hole is too small even without the bushing. Other notes, yes you can use the 338 RUM die set backed off for a while but at some point you will start to get sticky cases both in chambering and extraction from the bottom .096" of case that is never sized. This may take several loads 5-6 or more but it will happen at some point. Some may think it is not necessary but in the end I believe in using the best tool for the job. Buy a set of 338 Edge, 338-300 Ultra etc dies and be happy. You can order from RCBS, Redding or we have them, but I suggest getting a set from someone.

You can step down 1 or 2 calibers with the Redding neck bushing dies, but not up in caliber. For example, I use a Redding 338 RUM neck bushing style resizing die on my 25 RUM cartridges - being careful to back off the neck bushing so it doesn't imprint on the shoulder. And a 300 RUM neck bushing style resizing die can be used for 7mm RUM or my wildcat 25 RUM. Moving up in caliber can result in the larger caliber bullet being trapped in the shoulder coning area of the die - preventing it from ever contacting the neck bushing.

A redding 300 ultra full length die with a swapped out bushing works for my 338 edge

Interesting. That's the very thing Shawn said would not work. Hard to figure unless Redding spit out some dies with slightly different shoulder cone diameters, where the bullet has to slip past the shoulder cone before reaching the neck bushings.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts