How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

I hunt em in early mornings at daylight and mid to late afternoons. I use a Cur of mine named Gus that's amazing to watch tree. Savage 93 in17 HMR.
51FBB333-880A-4246-9168-B33F439F4B18.jpeg

If I'm going to a place where they're going to be other hunters I'll bring a 12 gauge shotgun with number 7 shot for popping them out of trees.

If the critters are plentiful on the ground then I'll bring the 10/22 so I can switch one to the other.

I use a customized Benjamin Marauder .22 air rifle. Easy second or even third pickings because the gun report is so quiet. It's almost not fair.....almost. 😁
I prefer early mornings.
I still-hunt mostly.
If I see 5, I feel I'm doing good to come home with three of them.
Never hunted squirrels by weather pattern. Just go when I can fit it in.

Last edited:
I found a new zest for squirrel hunting since retiring three years ago to fill the time between the end of big game season and the start of trout season. Favorite way to hunt them is floating creeks in a canoe, but it can be a hassle setting up a float. Otherwise, I'm walk and sit guy. Preferred times are morning and evening especially before a snow. Go to gun is my17 HM2 TC Encore pistol. When paired with shooting sticks, most squirrels that stand still inside of 75 yards are coming home for supper. Getting them to stand still is the rub. As for calls, I'm still using the two Eisenhower dollars my father taught me with.

823708AA-1635-48C0-A536-62E500EBB1F0.jpeg

When I lived in WV- I'd go to an oak or hickory filled area early in the morning with a .22 lr and match ammo and find a good spot and sit still and see what unfolds. My squirrel call was folding my index finger to my thumb, pushing against my lips and making a smack-smack-beweee sound. I'd also move from tree to tree- sit with my back along side and peer straight up the trunk- often you could see bushytails hanging over a crook in a branch and find them that way.

I took a lot of squirrels back then. Even hunted with a Basenji for a few years- she was an awesome squirrel dog. When she was older her favorite spot was under the wood stove when it was blazing. Those little African buggers liked it hot!
JwdpRra.jpg