How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

Use a quiet gun so it wont scare them off i use a crosman phantom which is a .177 cal air rifle 1000 fps and a daisy powerline 880s .177 cal both are shot with gamo rockets and i walk i killed three a day and i use a caller

Use a quiet gun so it wont scare them off i use a crosman phantom which is a .177 cal air rifle 1000 fps and a daisy powerline 880s .177 cal both are shot with gamo rockets and i walk i killed three a day and i use a caller

If your gun is too quiet, they will spook. Been there done that. The quieter your gun, the more stealthy YOU have to be.gun)

Generally, I drive around until I see one. Then myself or my partner hops out and chases it up a tree while I park and bring a rifle. Then we shoot it and repeat. Sometimes they get way up in big trees, so a pair of binoculars is usually helpful.

.22 pump, open sights, stand of white oak and a soft cusion for the back side. If a nut chewer shows, ees history. However I find deer hunting provides the greatest oppurtunity as them sobs are always rustling the leaves, so an arrow tipped with a small game head works fine too.

Early morning works best for me. Use my stock 10/22, old 4x scope and with what ever rounds i find laying on the floorpad of my car. Walk around for a few hours, then sit on a hill, eat some lunch and glass. If i see one i shoot it. After lunch i go sit about 50-100 yards away from where i was eating at and if any come down i shoot them too. Never used calls, never skinned or gutted one, or even eaten one. Used to collect tails for a buddie tying flies.

My rig is sick, how can you beat a stock 10/22 and vintage scope?

My favorite time of year is squirrel season. The big reds are awesome to eat so it is head shots only or do not shoot. Calling works well if used right but don't use the call too often or they shut up and won't answer or come.
Favorite guns to use is in the following order
.32 Cal Kentucky Poor boy ML
Remington 541T
Remington 572
Remington 512
Kimber SVT
Flobert gallery .22
Cut them up and roll them in Flour with Salt and Pepper mixed in with it and using a deep skillet full of peanut oil that is hot enough to spit with a drop of water you cook them till they float. Done over a camp fire at the end of the day and with an ice cold beer it just don't get any better than that.

I walk and sit,have tried calls but have never had any luck with them.This year has been strictly handguns for me so it has cut down on the killing side but the fun has went way up.I can honestly say its strictly handguns for bushytails from here on out.The handguns I use are a S&W 22A with reddot,Ruger 2245 with reddot,and a colt NF buntline.Squirrels are my favorite thing to hunt.

I don't care much for squirrel hunting. My dog is the squirrel killer. He usually kills them in the city park where you aren't supposed to kill squirrels, so the squirrels think they are safe. He is said to be descended from dogs owned by members of the James-Younger Gang, so he doesn't care for city laws. But he prefers to take down young mule deer.

Anyway, my youngest brother was the squirrel hunter in the family. I mainly went after game birds, as that is what I preferred to eat. He sold squirrel tails to Mepps, the fishing lure company, so if you fished Mepps lures, you might have your lure trimmed in the squirrel tail that he shot.

Anyway, he had two different squirrel dogs. The first one was a purebred English Pointer bitch. That dog was pure death on squirrels, but deathly afraid of water. She wouldn't cross a stream for anything. The second dog was a Border Terrier/Airedale Terrier mix. That dog wasn't afraid of anything. He would dive off a cliff into the water without a second thought. He killed a rattlesnake when he was a little pup. Pure death on all vermin.

He used two rifles. The main one was a Marlin .22LR semi-auto. It was cheap, but it was accurate. The other was a Crosman multi-pump air rifle. It was also cheap, but accurate.

He had two main ways of hunting. The first way was with the dog on land. The dog would tree a squirrel and he would get down against a tree and get ready for a shot as the dog caused the squirrel to move around the tree to where he had a clear shot. The English Pointer especially had keen eyes and would spot squirrels long before he could. That dog died and he hunted a while by himself, usually propped up against a tree where squirrel activity was high. Then the other dog showed up, and he started hunting in a canoe as he drifted quietly down Horsehead Creek. When he saw a squirrel, he would shoot it from the canoe and the Border/Airedale Terrier mixed breed would jump in the water and go retrieve the squirrel. That dog got redneck run over and killed eventually, and since he and the dog had mostly wiped out the Horsehead Creek squirrel population, he quit hunting squirrels.

I killed a rabbit in the backyard a few months back, but I can't remember when I last killed a squirrel. I remember killing a squirrel in 1977 as my dog scared it from tree to tree, and I shot it with a Ruger .22LR pistol, but not sure if it was the last one.

I really Prefer the Praire Dogs to Squirrels. Now a prarie dog is easy as they stand still. But them squirrels will get you good with that trusty old .22. I love wandering the woods with my HighStandard .22 Match Pistol.. Fast Swinging and easy to hit them. Other than that I use my 10/22 or my Rem 870 Super Mag... 3 1/2 Shells left over from Goose season work well :) Also you dont have to aim as hard, use a good loose choke... pleanty of pellets to go around :)

Wonder if anyone would pay me to kill them here in Colorado?

Also anyone looking for Prarie Dog Extermination I have a new 338/378 and my trusty 270 :)

I open my basement window and shoot them out of the trees in my backyard with Aguila Super Colibri ammo. I usually spot them running along the fence or in the trees. They seem most active in the morning, early afternoon, and a little before dusk. The ammo I use is quieter than most adult air rifles, so none of my neighbors will get their panties all twisted.

As a bonus, there is a cat that lives a few houses over, and when he hears the little snap from my .22, he comes over and grabs the squirrels. I have no idea what he does with them, but as long as they aren't in my yard, I'm good with that.

What time of the day works best for you?
I hunt when the squirrels are out, whatever time it may be. If I see a squirrel, I go hunting.

Do you sit or do you walk?
Both. I will sit in a spot for a while and then move if nothing is around.

What shooting position is most common for you?
Standing

Do you ever use a call?
Yes, I do use a call. I just bought my wife a Samsung galaxy 5 player for her birthday so now I have all the calls I want in my hand. The one call I ALWAYS wanted was the sucking sound they make. I could never find it, but now with the samsung, I have a recording!!! It works great.

How much difference does weather make? It depends on the day. Sometimes they will be out in wind/rain and sometimes they won't. If it feels nice out, they are most likely out.

If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?

Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine?
I don't know and really don't care. Mine works well for me and the squirrels have to stay very far away to have any hope of staying safe. My longest kill remains at 190 yards.

100yardtarget.jpg

scope1.jpg

I am watching the weather, planning to go out later this week. Meanwhile...how about a discussion?

1. What time of the day works best for you?
  2. Do you sit or do you walk?
  3. What shooting position is most common for you?
  4. Do you ever use a call?
  5. How much difference does weather make?
  6. If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?
  7. Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine? gun)

Well Len ,
My best time for squirrels is morning, when it starts to get day light, to be in place.

I usually sit for for 15 or 20 min , then move and sit again.

I shoot from any position, sitting , standing, left or right handed....

Do you ever use a call?
I do use a call at times to bring one closer.

weather ? not too concerned about weather when I want to go hunting.

If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you? five

Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine? It doesn't matter what it looks like, only that it can shoot when the time comes. LOL:D