How do YOU fire form Ackley Cartridges?

I read one guy was using full power loads for the improved cartridge to fireform! This sounded crazy to me. Is anyone else doing this?
Don't do that. Ask your gunsmith and he'll tell you what to use. But you don't want to do something that might damage your brand new firearm. You might even have your gunsmith work up your AI loads for you so you'll have an idea of the maximum charge you can safely use in it. But your main gain in Ackley Improving is brass life.

Douglas 26" 1-8 twist. I'm planning to play around up to 170gr.
They make good barrels and that's a good twist for the heavier bullets. Just work your loads up carefully, about half a grain at a time and monitor the brass for pressure and you should be ok. You can fireform your brass from factory loads if the chamber is done right, which means you can just reload 270 winchester with moderate hunting loads, go to the range, practice with your new rifle and eject a 270AI casing. Then you might want to anneal the neck before reloading just to keep from having the neck crack. If you measure the overall case length on your AI casing, it'll probably be well within length specs, though. The fireforming will usually shorten neck length slightly. Also, trim the case mouth after sizing, just to square it up. It probably won't be over maximum length, but the trimming will square the mouth if it is uneven. I have to square the case mouth on all my .35 Whelen brass that I make from 30-06 casings, which is about 2/3rds of the Whelen brass I fire. But I only have to do it once, when necking up.

I do, I guess I put enough pcs of new brass in service that I need too. One rebarrels an action, you have an idea just where in the speed spectrum that you want to be at, so if you have a load in 30-40 rds, you should be able to figure out how much under your desired speed you need to be, and have the load hold. The barrels made these last 6-7 yrs are very predictable.
I also develop on new brass and honestly, I don't buy the myth that once fired brass is more accurate. Matter of fact on this subject, sometimes, it becomes almost impossible to duplicate the actual neck tension of some Lapua brand brass and the first firing may be the best it has to offer.
My lapua 1st firing in 223 is currently my most accurate load. I'm still early in development, so I hope to beat the factory brass-LOL

I used to know a gentleman in Ralls Texas that shot a .270 Gibbs. I think he used the false Shoulder method for fire-forming his brass. That was back in 1969. He used a 26" barrel. It had lots of reach and was very accurate for the time. How close is the .30 Gibbs to the .308 Hawk/Scovill?
I copied this summary from an old Outdoor Life magazine article: "A wildcatter in Idaho back in the mid-20th century created a line of wildcats from .25- to .30-caliber based on the .30-06 case. Rocky Gibbs took most of the taper out of the cases, pushed the shoulder forward, sharpened it to 35-degrees, and necked it to caliber. Most innovative was his "front ignition primer" via a flash tube extender that delivered the flame toward the front of the powder column, ostensibly for more efficient burning. Mr. Gibbs advertised his 30 Gibbs as the "world's most powerful .30-06, driving 180-grain bullets as fast as 3,100 fps. Independent tests have shown that, when loaded to equal pressures, the Gibbs added just 104 fps to the velocity of the .30-06. Mr. Gibbs, however, touted his cartridge design as contributing to minimal bolt thrust, so traditional indications of excessive pressure, such as a sticky bolt lift, weren't evident. His cases were sold and loaded without the bothersome internal flash extender tube, too. Gibbs claimed 3,175 fps for his .270 version spitting a 150-grain bullet." My brother chronoed dad's 270 Gibbs using Herters Round nose 150gr bullets at +3000 fps. The Gibbs wildcats where really popular in the 1950's around the western Montana home where I grew up. Working class guys couldn't afford the early magnums in expensive guns like the Weatherbys. There was lots of inexpensive military surplus brass and 4831 powder (I think dad paid about 50 cents/lb for 50 lb kegs still in the military containers). Dad's hunting party carried 270 Gibbs, 30 Gibbs, 6.5 Gibbs, or 8 MM Gibbs. All those cases were hydraulically formed that created the short neck case with a rounded shoulder form 30-06 brass. They then loaded ammo at minumum loads to fire form the cases, producing the classic sharp Gibbs shouldered cases. I attached a photo of the Gibbs sizing die with the hydraulic accessory fyi. There should be lots of 1903 Springfieds (cost about $17 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program) sporterized along with some fine old Pre-War Model 70's floating around where I grew up. Probably collecting dust because nobody understands what they are!!

Attachments

• 270 Gibbs Hydraulic Die.jpg
    270 Gibbs Hydraulic Die.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 270 Gibbs Samples.jpg
    270 Gibbs Samples.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 36
responding

My desired ammo count for frequently used rifles, including the 6mm AI is 200 rounds or 4 plastic boxes of 50.

Upon completion of my nice 6mm AI brass I load ammo using Redding F/L 6mm AI size die without expander on turned necks, Lee (inexpensive) 6mm Rem collet dies to size my turned necks (.268 diameter), either Hornady 6mm seat or Lee 6mm Rem seat die and Lee (inexpensive) 6mm Rem factory crimp die to crimp bullets in AI cases. I anneal cases after fire forming and then every 5 rounds. This should also work for .22-.250AI, .280 AI & others.

IMG_1789.JPG

Barrel life is to be considered. Assuming a 1500 round premium barrel life for the 6mm AI, firing 200 bullets when forming cases would be 200/1500 or 13% of barrel life spent on fireforming with substandard ballistics assuming an AI round was desired to improve ballistic performance.

Bullet costs - 100 Hornady SPBT bullets cost between $25-$30 per hundred - 200 bullets needed, $50 - $60. Among the cheapest 6mm bullet.

Powder costs - the cheapest suitable bullet fireforming powder at my LGS without hazmat would run $32.00 per 7000 grains/pound (RS Hunter), a fireform load would use 40-43 grains of Hunter or 175 - 163 bullet fire forms per pound of the cheapest powder available, another pound purchase would be needed to complete 200 round bullet fire forming.

Primers!!! Large rifle primers are real pricey & difficult to find. Assuming $125 per thou, 200 rounds would be $25 - provided they are available at $125 without hazmat costs. With hazmat/shipping added go for $140 + $50 = $190/1000 or 200 * $0.19 = $38

Total cost to fire form with bullets, rifle powder & large rifle primers (including hazmat) = $125 - $137 per 200. This is to be compared with availability of large pistol primers without hazmat, relatively tiny charges of pistol powder, & free dried out used coffee grounds (sun dried or hair drier). We drink Starbuck's coffee - real nice brew with bottled water to avoid corruption of city water via ancient pipes (loaded with iron, calcium & whatever).

Barrel life - using up 13% of a $400 - $500 re-barrel job = $52 - $65. Total costs refreshed = $177 - $202 per 200 rounds bullet fire formed with substandard performance.

Last edited:
What velocities are you getting from your .30 Gibbs and from the .338? That's nice looking brass, and a nice demonstration of the fire-forming stages for each cartridge. How much are the forming dies and where do you get them?
For the .30 Gibbs, I was pushing the 190 Berger VLDs at 2806 FPS with more room to spare and powders I had already opened. I have not settled on a load, considering loads lighter than 180g. I did not chrono the .338 Thor as I am only fire-forming brass, with 18 shots fired (I have 80 more to do), barrel break-in, and sight-in the scope.

See #32. You need to check their website for the current price of the one made by Whidden. Also, check the website for the blank die and plunger system for the one my GS made. For the labor, ask your gunsmith. My GS labor charge for the hydraulic forming and reloading dies (he provided the sizing die blank) is $215.

As has been said, it depends a little. Assuming your chamber was cut correctly, I don't mess around with the COW or other stuff. I do large batches at once (usually 100) so I only have to go through the process a few times in the life of a barrel. I just work up a fireform load (not a full Ackley powder charge) and a regular load. Half the fun is figuring out the load anyhow. Once it's dialed in, there's nothing left to do but shoot it.

Usually it's possible to find a decent fireform load that still lets me use the rifle for its intended purpose. With a good match barrel, the fireform load is often just as accurate as the final load. Once it's developed, there are still 70-80 perfectly good rounds left to shoot at steel, critters, or whatever. For hunting, this is plenty to last several seasons. Assuming you wrote it down somewhere, the next time you have 100 perfectly good rounds to use.

Usually there's a bit more squaring of the shoulder with the second firing too. After that, things are pretty stable for however long the brass lasts. With quality brass, that's often more than 10 trips, assuming you're not pushing pressures and blowing primer pockets out. I can't remember the last time I trimmed Ackley brass.

Last edited:
responding

My desired ammo count for frequently used rifles, including the 6mm AI is 200 rounds or 4 plastic boxes of 50.

Upon completion of my nice 6mm AI brass I load ammo using Redding F/L 6mm AI size die without expander on turned necks, Lee (inexpensive) 6mm Rem collet dies to size my turned necks (.268 diameter), either Hornady 6mm seat or Lee 6mm Rem seat die and Lee (inexpensive) 6mm Rem factory crimp die to crimp bullets in AI cases. I anneal cases after fire forming and then every 5 rounds. This should also work for .22-.250AI, .280 AI & others.

View attachment 452008

Barrel life is to be considered. Assuming a 1500 round premium barrel life for the 6mm AI, firing 200 bullets when forming cases would be 200/1500 or 13% of barrel life spent on fireforming with substandard ballistics assuming an AI round was desired to improve ballistic performance.

Bullet costs - 100 Hornady SPBT bullets cost between $25-$30 per hundred - 200 bullets needed, $50 - $60. Among the cheapest 6mm bullet.

Powder costs - the cheapest suitable bullet fireforming powder at my LGS without hazmat would run $32.00 per 7000 grains/pound (RS Hunter), a fireform load would use 40-43 grains of Hunter or 175 - 163 bullet fire forms per pound of the cheapest powder available, another pound purchase would be needed to complete 200 round bullet fire forming.

Primers!!! Large rifle primers are real pricey & difficult to find. Assuming $125 per thou, 200 rounds would be $25 - provided they are available at $125 without hazmat costs. With hazmat/shipping added go for $140 + $50 = $190/1000 or 200 * $0.19 = $38

Total cost to fire form with bullets, rifle powder & large rifle primers (including hazmat) = $125 - $137 per 200. This is to be compared with availability of large pistol primers without hazmat, relatively tiny charges of pistol powder, & free dried out used coffee grounds (sun dried or hair drier). We drink Starbuck's coffee - real nice brew with bottled water to avoid corruption of city water via ancient pipes (loaded with iron, calcium & whatever).

Barrel life - using up 13% of a $400 - $500 re-barrel job = $52 - $65. Total costs refreshed = $177 - $202 per 200 rounds bullet fire formed with substandard performance.
You should find a mentor and learn to make fireforming work for you. Also, if you are rebarreling to 6mm AI continually, fireforming brass at the end of barrel life makes sense and can be done quick with a water source and cheap components.

My first and only Ackley Improved firearm is a 22-250AI. After using several "gunsmiths" that turned out to be hacks, I got established with Young's Gunsmithing located near Great Falls, MT. Dave Young has done incredible work for me, cleaning up messes made by the hacks. The 22-250AI was my first Build with Dave. He provided step by step guidance to help me through this experience. My 22-250AI shoots lights out with a load provided by Dave. At his direction, I fire-formed brass by using factory loaded ammunition. Hopefully, you have access to an experienced professional to guide you through the process. Blogs are great to learn of experiences from a broad field of practitioners. However, take what you read with a grain of salt, and take information gathered from blogs into conversation with your professional gunsmith.

I also have personal experience producing brass for 30 Herrett, 6.5 Gibbs, 270 Gibbs, 30 Gibbs, 8mm Gibbs, and 300 Blackout. The processes for making brass for each of these cartridges is unique and radically different from the process for Ackley Improved cartridges. For these cartridges, I was guided by reputable people with hands on experience.

The Gibbs wildcats produced by Rocky Gibbs 70 years ago utilized oil forming hydraulic dies supplied by Gibbs when he did the machining to modify the firearm. That hydraulic process was followed by fire-forming the hydraulically formed cased to produce the final case. I inherited the 270 Gibbs, the Gibbs dies, and the experience producing cases from my father who worked directly with Rocky Gibbs.

In my old age, my new build utilize SAAMI spec cartridges with commercially available brass. None of my heirs are into wildcats and all the extra work that goes into using them. So, my wildcats probably won't survive into the next generation. My current build, a 6.5 RPM, started out to be a 6.5-06AI. However, the 6.5 RPM is very similar and the grandson that will inherit the rifle will be able to buy commercially available ammunition.

Wildcatting is fun. I learned a lot by doing it. Good luck with your new AI.
LOL! Dave has been my go-to gunsmith since 2003.

I know this topic is as broad as the people that do it, but how do you fire form your AI brass?

I've got my 1st AI at the gun smith and will be hopefully fire forming soon. I'm putting my plan together now.

Do you use cream of wheat, bee's wax, loaded ammo?

I've got loaded ammo that I'm hoping to break the barrel in with and retain the brass for later. I'm also looking to fire form new premium brass.

Please include your recipes...

Thanks
HW
I buy several boxes of factory ammo in the parent caliber of the AI cartridge in the brand I prefer and shoot it. It is always as accurate as any reload I can make, usually, and I don't waste a bunch of time messing with forming brass.

Last edited: