How do you explain….custom rifles?

Son, daughter and I shoot lefthanded. Its easier just to build a few lefties than either look for rare ones or compromise on chamberings.

I'm in the mood for a custom. A Borden,BAT or Defiance action ought to do it(or the like). Schillen,Lilja,Bartlein,Hawk (or the like)barrel. And a McMillan,MPA(or the like)stock should work out fine. High end scope to top off the rig. Now if I could only decide what cartridge to get.
Hmmm. Decisions,decisions. It's odd, making decisions have always been a relatively simple thing for me , that never required much thought. This is the first time
I can't quite get to one. I suppose that may lead to owning more than one. Lol

I'm in the mood for a custom. A Borden,BAT or Defiance action ought to do it(or the like). Schillen,Lilja,Bartlein,Hawk (or the like)barrel. And a McMillan,MPA(or the like)stock should work out fine. High end scope to top off the rig. Now if I could only decide what cartridge to get.
Hmmm. Decisions,decisions. It's odd, making decisions have always been a relatively simple thing for me , that never required much thought. This is the first time
I can't quite get to one. I suppose that may lead to owning more than one. Lol
Might want to look at Tac ops if wanting to run factory ammo with extreme accuracy.

6F0C0356-F7D9-4C49-82C9-8A93F7AAF525.jpeg

After years of wanting and saving there's just a certain joy about carrying a rifle made for me.

I take every edge I can get when it comes to hunting. There are soooo many factors that are working against you in THAT moment, and having a rifle that you are absolutely CONFIDENT in, makes all the difference IMO. I have a friend that owns several factory guns after being an F class guy and a savage barrel swapping scientist. He went back to factory rifles because it became more simple to him and when I see him shoot, it doesn't shake his confidence one bit. Obviously we are all different in this regard. I'm the kind of guy that likes to stack every odd in my favor so that when it gets real out there, I feel like the advantage of a really good shooting rifle, outweighs the odds such as bad rushed shots and windy conditions. How many opportunities do we get every year to pull the trigger on a big game animal? make it count. I'll pay the little bit extra to feel good about myself. Also the semi - custom is really underrated. A guy can start with a factory rifle and invest in it over time and have a pretty sweet set up.
Aren't you that guy that Swiss cheeses pronghorns

I have several factory rifles that shoot sub MOA and two that won't. One is a factory Remington 700 in .308. It has a 20" varmint contour barrel and sits in a BC stock. I don't believe the original owner ever fired it as it appeared new. I've spent many hours working with it trying to find that magical combination of components that will produce acceptable accuracy.

I usually enjoy this process, but not this time. Purchase price was $750.00 and I've most likely spent another couple hundred in components and loaded ammo chasing decent accuracy.

My friend and Gunsmith has given it a look over and is also perplexed as he says "she should shoot well".

So, how deep down the rabbit hole should I go.

Spending the $$$ to purchase a custom gun that will shoot sub moa right out of the box is sometimes a better alternative to spending $$$ on a factory one that may never produce the accuracy you want.

That said, I have only purchased one custom. Yes, she's' a shooter.

I have several factory rifles that shoot sub MOA and two that won't. One is a factory Remington 700 in .308. It has a 20" varmint contour barrel and sits in a BC stock. I don't believe the original owner ever fired it as it appeared new. I've spent many hours working with it trying to find that magical combination of components that will produce acceptable accuracy.

I usually enjoy this process, but not this time. Purchase price was $750.00 and I've most likely spent another couple hundred in components and loaded ammo chasing decent accuracy.

My friend and Gunsmith has given it a look over and is also perplexed as he says "she should shoot well".

So, how deep down the rabbit hole should I go.

Spending the $$$ to purchase a custom gun that will shoot sub moa right out of the box is sometimes a better alternative to spending $$$ on a factory one that may never produce the accuracy you want.

That said, I have only purchased one custom. Yes, she's' a shooter.
I mean, factory remtinton's haven't been known to be good rifles in quite some time. Hit or miss.
There's a chasm between a off the shelf 700 and a full custom.

Velocity consistency for the lifespan of the barrel which aids in determining zero in all environmental conditions, altitudes, and distances at the shooter capability.
It's not about shooting groups.

Recent Posts