How do you explain….custom rifles?

I've never owned a full custom built rifle. Some people want to buy the newest model truck as soon as it comes out, and I've never done that either. It's all in what a person wants. I just get more satisfaction out of buying a factory rifle as good as the shoot nowadays and tweaking it to fit/shoot just like I want it too. Sometimes I wind up replacing everything but the action, and sometimes I just put a cheek riser on it. I'm a tightwad too, so that's another reason.
I love my 1997 F 150 with AZ racing stripes (scratches from driving down desert roads better suited to ORVs). I love that I don't have to worry about it. I just don't get the whole car thing. My neighbor in AZ owns a Bentley and I have never seen him drive it - I guess the analogy here is a guy who saves for a custom but never shoots it for fear of burning up the barrel. What is the point?

My vote is custom for competition and over 600 yards. But even that's not written in stone for me if you have an OTC factory or deluxe that hits what you aim at further out. Although I mostly bought Deluxe for reliable performance, I have bought a couple of $1000-$1200 OTC factories that shoot great with the right ammo. I got a REM 700 LSS that shoots sub MOA with some ammo. Haven't done a thing with it. And that's with a 3lb. trigger pull. I keep every hunting rifle at 3lbs. minimum. It's safer and it guarantees I know how to shoot good with heavy triggers. Besides, most of my practice is still offhand with every rifle I own out to 200 yards. I likely would only shoot on a hunt no more than 100 unsupported. But hitting a 1 foot target (200 yards)offhand every time, while practicing,is a confidence builder. Any other shots supported are just gravy. I got a bit off topic, but I promote offhand practice and heavier triggers when I get a chance. I've seen too many guys have accidents setting light trigger pulls while hunting. I don't like seeing wounded game that's not harvested. And I rarely see anyone that shoot offhand; worse the few that do can't consistently hit a pie plate at a 100 yards.
I shot my .338 WM yesterday offhand at 200 as well as sitting with a sling. I do agree with you, and shoot more shots offhand at 100 than anything else (except prairie dogs).

Last edited:
I do not own a "Custom " Rifle, but have many Good factory rifles, bedded and tuned to make them more accurate . A couple were Weatherby Mark V rifles. one was a Win Model 70 Super Grade. Back in the 70's Weatherby advertised 1 and 1/4 inch 3 shot groups using Weatherby ammo in their rifles . That was impressive to many of us way back then. Today, sub MOA rifles are available off the shelf. IMHO Professional Bedding, and Trigger work, or Trigger Upgrade, and the LOP , and the Comb modified to your dimensions will make your factory rifle " customized " to your shooting style. Now upgraded Hi Grade Wood, with an English oil finish , well that's another story .

For several years I did not see the need for a custom rifle. My out of box Brownings would shoot right with most I saw. Things changed. I met a gunsmith that had built several that shot unbelieveable . I have reached the age where I do more target shooting than hunting, and wanted more. I dived in !! bought the best componants I could find, as per his recomendations . topped of with a Nightforce , 30BR , yes it tops out at about 400 yds, but it is a blast, weighs a ton , but I just got to put it on the bench. bought once, have not cried at all. Bottom line shoot what you like and be HAPPY

I drive a 2005 dodge diesel. I love that truck and I plan to drive it till I am not driving anymore. Im that way with a gun custom or otherwise. I bought a 340 WTBY in 1991 and it has stacked up the elk. When it comes down to it I grab my 340 and go in my old pick up because that is what I know works.

I hunt multiple states about every year but I never guess what rifle I am taking. Do I take a custom with me most of the time yes you know its a two gun case. I waited 11 years one time to draw a tag I really wanted. I loaded up to go and I took my 338 Lapua and my 340WTBY. I was elk hunting and wanted to shoot a whopper. I figured any really nice elk I was taking him 0-800 yards no problem. Well I carried that heavy @ss Lapua with that telephone pole long barrel for first three days. I said enough is enough I ended up taking my 340 on the fourth day cause its only 9lbs. Shot my biggest bull to date with it at 491 yards I didnt once have to look at the little cheat sheet taped onto the Lapua I'd shot my 340 enough at 500 I knew the number of clicks by heart bang one and done.

I own several custom rifles as well. I shoot them a good bit 700-1000 rounds a year or so. I have been having them built with the same McMillan stock - action and trigger Ive tried various manufactures barrels tho. I guess I am not into all the new PRC or other new calibers much. Is there anything wrong with them I doubt it everyone has to get one. I figure it this way there isnt a animal walking in N America that cant be killed with my 340.

I love a butter smooth action and fine lines just as much as the next guy. I see a new truck and say wow that is nice. Do I need it no, do I want it yes, is what I have not working no, do I want to pay for that new pick up or maybe buy a new rifle custom or otherwise???

I wouldnt put down a new custom rifle or need for one cause each person has their own wants and needs. I think also its kind of a hay day for the new 500-1200 dollar guns. I guess my last question is will the animal know it was shot with a off the shelf rifle or a 10K custom? I'd also say if you dont practice and get proficient neither one is goona work the way it should.

Good luck shoot what makes you happy

This is a challenge for me. Factory rifles with load development can shoot quite well. 1 moa is quite common. 1/2 moa or close seems like it is becoming more common.

Factory stocks are becoming crappier and better at the top end. This is a pretty good reason to go full custom.

Otherwise, I feel like rational people think I'm a bit bonkers. I talk about things like case to die to chamber fit being nearly perfect, stock dimensions being a near perfect fit, optics clear enough to really see at lower magnifications.

All that said, I shot my friends Savage package gun in 6.5 creedmor and my only real complaints were:
-stock was not a good fit
-scope was forward and couldn't move
-windage turret moved 0.75 moa with 1 click(1/4 moa turret)
-glass was just ok/usable

Our results were pretty good. Quick sight in at 100, 1.4moa 200yd group, 300 yd 2 moa steel hits. Not bad.

Then we talk about my new rifle. Everything is better, but for what? How do I explain the value of it? Not to justify. I want it, I earned it, it solves my issues from previous experience. I get that, but why are custom rifles worth 5-10 times to price? Or are they a bad deal? The value is definitely low when sold as used.

I ask, really just to generate interest from people who don't connect with the idea immediately.
Value is universal and may greatly differ from a person to another. The rifle was custom made for the original owner and not for the used firearm buyer, it may greatly affect resale. Other than quality, looks and ones desire, solving some problem/s that was experienced on a non custom firearm could be a reason. This is our hobby and joy in fulfilling satisfies. Are we happy spending money for this or keep it for something else? It's our individual concern that counts.

The question was, How do you explain custom rifles? Lots of the people on here would understand, you probably don't even need to explain to them, they already know. And then you have to try and explain the scope. To a good share of people they aren't going to understand why you would want to spend that kind of money on one rifle and scope. When you can get one that will do the job for a fraction of the money. Now for the most part I'm just a hunter and will be the first to admit that most of my shots are under 200 yards, but it sure is nice to have the confidence in a rifle (and yes you have to put the time and practice in and have consistent ammo) to figure that you could make that 800-1000 yard shot. And please understand that I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of over the counter firearms that won't shoot lights out. It was several years ago I purchased my first one. I have 3 brothers 2 of them thought I was plain crazy. The other one shot my rifle a little and was impressed. I told him about a custom rifle on this site that I thought would be a very nice hunting rifle. He ended up purchasing it. To this day he still hasn't forgiven me for it. Because he says it just plain ruins most other rifles. It's a rifle that Joel Russo built in a 308 Bauer. He loves that rifle. So at least now I have company in the crazy pen. 🤪.

The question was, How do you explain custom rifles? Lots of the people on here would understand, you probably don't even need to explain to them, they already know. And then you have to try and explain the scope. To a good share of people they aren't going to understand why you would want to spend that kind of money on one rifle and scope. When you can get one that will do the job for a fraction of the money. Now for the most part I'm just a hunter and will be the first to admit that most of my shots are under 200 yards, but it sure is nice to have the confidence in a rifle (and yes you have to put the time and practice in and have consistent ammo) to figure that you could make that 800-1000 yard shot. And please understand that I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of over the counter firearms that won't shoot lights out. It was several years ago I purchased my first one. I have 3 brothers 2 of them thought I was plain crazy. The other one shot my rifle a little and was impressed. I told him about a custom rifle on this site that I thought would be a very nice hunting rifle. He ended up purchasing it. To this day he still hasn't forgiven me for it. Because he says it just plain ruins most other rifles. It's a rifle that Joel Russo built in a 308 Bauer. He loves that rifle. So at least now I have company in the crazy pen. 🤪.
That explains it pretty well. Well said