How do you dry out your water bladder?

FrogFire7

I have a 3L Kuiu branded platypus. Great bladder so far. Has the sode bottle size cap on the bottom corner to connect the water line to.

However, it takes FOREVER to dry out. I usually try to place in a window with sunlight. And the hose retains moisture as well... I'd like to get it dried out quicker and packed away in a tote so that my kids' cat doesn't "perforate" it. That cat is darn lucky those little boys adore him, lol.

Any good tips on how to dry these things out? In the past I had a cheap, wide mouth one that I would stick a hair dryer set on "cool" into. Worked ok until I forgot to set it to "cool" one time... Results were decidedly NOT cool 😂

I have a 3L Kuiu branded platypus. Great bladder so far. Has the sode bottle size cap on the bottom corner to connect the water line to.

However, it takes FOREVER to dry out. I usually try to place in a window with sunlight. And the hose retains moisture as well... I'd like to get it dried out quicker and packed away in a tote so that my kids' cat doesn't "perforate" it. That cat is darn lucky those little boys adore him, lol.

Any good tips on how to dry these things out? In the past I had a cheap, wide mouth one that I would stick a hair dryer set on "cool" into. Worked ok until I forgot to set it to "cool" one time... Results were decidedly NOT cool 😂
Prop the bladder so that opening is pointed up and let it sit so that evaporation and escape. In the past I have taken a mattress pump, attached a hose onto it and ran it into the bladder to help circulate air. I thought this was all a pain so I just bought a newer bladder that has an opening that allows me to turn it inside out.

I detach the hose and bite valve. Coil the hose up inside the bladder to hold it open and leave the lid open. With everything open, it will eventually evaporate out. I just set it inside my pack so I don't lose it, and leave the zipper open so things aren't sealed up.

I detach the hose and bite valve. Coil the hose up inside the bladder to hold it open and leave the lid open. With everything open, it will eventually evaporate out. I just set it inside my pack so I don't lose it, and leave the zipper open so things aren't sealed up.
I think I like that idea... If my pack can get air I shouldn't get musty... Thanks for that idea too!

Honest recommendation is to upgrade to a Source brand one, this is a design flaw that Platypus has not addressed. I have used Platypus (still have a gravity feed), Osprey (back when they were made by Nalgene), and Camelback as well but none of them have the same features. Being able to slide off the top and open the bag all the way up for cleaning is huge. Quick disconnect everything, and they still have a cap so you could use a pump if you were in the woods.

https://sourcetacticalgear.com/product-category/tactical-hydration-bladders/

I'm not familiar with that brand, but if they make a quality product, that's probably the solution. Bring able to open it up like that would definitely make this a non issue. Other than maybe the hose. Thanks!

I have three different ones in different sizes, and have used and abused them as well as squeezed them between heavy equipment and pack frames for days. Still haven't managed to make one leak. If you go that route, my only recommendation is to upgrade the bite valve to the "storm valve", if the bladder didn't already come with the upgrade. I am sure there are other good bladders out there, and I definitely recommend you check out the competition, but I have been far and away the most impressed with these.

That source tac blader looks like they finally nailed it. I always hate drying out the camel back bladder. It is a 2-3 day experience. Being able to open the top is literally priceless

I don't use a bladder but use the old style quart REI water bottles. Always hard to get anything completely dry and when stored usually will have some odd odor still in it. I now don't worry about getting a water bottle completely dry. Instead I add a couple tablespoons of baking soda in it and seal it up. Next time you open it, it will be wonderfully dry and odor free. Just rinse with fresh water and it's good to go. I store my big coolers I use for game meat that way too.

Last edited: