How do you drag game out?

we just cut them up on the spot and but in the meat wagon

Attachments

• 20170919_115520 (1).jpg
    20170919_115520 (1).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 137
Quarter it, and load up the Kifaru pack. We do that with deer, elk and anything else. Deer are 1-2 trips depending upon size and the amount of uphill to get to my Jeep. Elk, 4 or 5. Antelope, 1.

This year, I'm also trying an ebike with trailer for my elk hunt. We'll see how well that works.

For an elk, I quarter and never debone to keep the meat clean. The first trip out is with straps/tenderloins in my pack and if possible, the two front quarters with back skin left intact between them, so I can use the attached hide as a shoulder pad, and the quarters sling perfectly. I always keep a plastic sled in the trunk. Easily carried back in, the two remaining rear quarters are lashed onto the sled for an easy drag out, even over deadfall or down hills full of scrub oak. I tried using a pack frame once on a caribou hunt where they float you in, but with hiking in, it does not work so well thru the terrain.

If close enough to drag out whole, I use 2 climbing loops (tough nylon mtn climbing straps that come sewn into a loop). Wrap one around each antler base then thrown each one over a shoulder like a pack. This lifts the head up off the ground to get over obstacles and frees up your hands. Lean into it and start marching. If there are 2 of you, each person can grab a loop for the drag out.

If close enough to drag out whole, I use 2 climbing loops (tough nylon mtn climbing straps that come sewn into a loop). Wrap one around each antler base then thrown each one over a shoulder like a pack. This lifts the head up off the ground to get over obstacles and frees up your hands. Lean into it and start marching. If there are 2 of you, each person can grab a loop for the drag out.
That's easy with a big *** bullet hole in it

Depends on the terrain. If we can, we use a wheeled cart. Chain saw winch is another tool we use and can also tow the cart up steep hills with it. I've got a spool with 1400' of line on it, if the animal is down a draw or canyon that is close to an accessible road, we set a snatch block on the road, run the line down to the animal and pull it up with the truck. Bone out and pack if we need to.

When I was a young man I packed them out on my back,deer or elk.
Now we have friends that are younger than I and we all get together and haul them out with game carts,sleds or on backs of younger men.If there is snow on the ground we use sleds.No motorized vehicles allowed where we hunt.
Get game bags (as they will keep flies and dirt off your game as others has mentioned)
and they are re-usable.
I keep 4 game bags in the truck in elk season for elk only.For muleys I drag them close to the truck and gut them there to keep dirt off game unless I get another big muley like a few years back.I HAD to gut him 437 yards from the truck and drag him out.He would not budge with guts in.If I get a BIG muley far away I quarter it and put it in game bags and make as many trips as needed to get it to the truck
If your young and in good health enjoy it while you can as it will change one day.
Make good friends and always let someone know where you will be hunting.
I have heard of a local tragedy in the back country so always let folks know where you are hunting.
Montana is the most beautiful place on earth but will not suffer foolish people.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I do the gutless quartering and haul out qtrs on my back, I think it's easier than dragging. I'd rather take 2 lighter trips than 1 really heavy one. 59-bad knees.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.