How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

ADMIN

Administrator
Plenty of questions regarding equipment, i.e: ammunition, optics, rifle, caliber, and effective range are common among the new. With all the terminology we throw around like, minute of angle (MOA), feet per second (fps), RL= Reloader powders, the letter "H" referring to Hodgdon powders, and a myriad of other terms that escape the mind at the moment, it can be confusing when trying to build that perfect rig. Though I am not an authority, nor do I claim to know it all in the realm of killing elk at 1000+yards, I have come to some basic thoughts as to where to start. These all stem from 2 years of consistent research and 25 years of firearms training (personal and military). Seeking knowledge for the betterment of my abilities as a shooter and using the best equipment I can afford is my number one priority. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, How Do I Know What To Buy?, By Jeremy Knepp. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Howdy,

Very nice article. It surely will help me put together my "next" long range rig. I would have liked a discussion about ammo needed for that application; whether handloaded or factory, what to look out for, etc.
Overall, well written and good information.

Thanks,

Coach

Howdy,

Very nice article. It surely will help me put together my "next" long range rig. I would have liked a discussion about ammo needed for that application; whether handloaded or factory, what to look out for, etc.
Overall, well written and good information.

Thanks,

Coach

Thanks for the well written comment. If there is anything I fear in my writing is poor grammar.

Well I wasn't sure how long I wanted to make this thing. That gives me an idea for maybe another article then. I was trying to keep the info as to the point as I could, but I didn't want it to be too general. I could added another couple of pages had I kept going. I really get into this stuff when I start thinking about rifles, shooting and reloading is just another article in its self. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Jeromy

Last edited:
Jeremy,
Nice article, enjoyed it a lot. Fits me perfectly for the moment. I actually have a 270 Win that I am trying to upgrade to shoot farther out than what I used to, and right now I am in the process of choosing the right scope for it, so I can accurately shoot out to maybe 700 yards or so. Enjoyed it a lot. And enjoyed reading that you think the .277 caliber is underrated. That is the rifle I have, and will give it a good try.:)

Great information man!! I just asked a lot of those same questions on here and you just helped me a ton. I have a Bushnell Elite on a SPS Rem 700 300rum. I just got sent back to Remington to get the action fixed.

If this problem with may rum can't be fixed what would you suggest I get if I want a custom gun in the .338 rang for long range hunting elk.

Thanks gun)
JP

If this problem with may rum can't be fixed what would you suggest I get if I want a custom gun in the .338 rang for long range hunting elk.

Thanks gun)
JP

Well considering I don't own a custom action I can not really point you in one direction. What I can tell you is that a lot of guys like the BAT, Stiller and Lawton actions. If you want to stick with affordable I would suggest a Howa (Mauser based) and the Savage Target action.

My cousin has a 338 Lapua Magnum in a Savage Target action. The advantage to this set up is the following: Left port-right bolt, 6oz. to 1.5lb trigger adjustment, solid one piece action, changeable bolt head if you want to change barrels and calibers on the same system. I wanted to get a picture of it. A lot of guys will tell you this is a bad idea, but his is shooting very well right now and hold Sub MOA to 200yrds so far. You can load single rounds loaded and eject a spent casing. If you have to eject a loaded round then you have to pull the bolt. Its really not that big of a deal.

Howa offers a Mauser based action off of the Model 98 Mauser. The Mauser 98 is a very beloved action for benchrest shooters of the past and hunting rifle builds. The Howa is a very solid action and I like the way the Howa ejects. It won't push your brass into the side of the action. I have owned and shot a custom Howa that shot one hole groups when I did my part. The problem with Howa as many of the other manufacturers, you need a gunsmith to do the tuning on the action and the trigger. Still for the money and performance it is worth every dime.

Savage does offer a Long action repeater unbarreled. You can also purchase a Howa Barreled Long Action. In this instance I would have the barrel removed and sell it. My cousin has chosen a BAT action for his next build. He does his research, so there is something that is telling him that is the way to go. Me personally, I am a Savage finatic. I love there new actions, and their ability to shoot very well out of the box. Savage has started making a Lapua in their new police line of rifle. So far the buzz is good. So that may be another option to consider.

Hope this helps,
Jeromy

This is a thread for discussion of the article, How Do I Know What To Buy?, By Jeremy Knepp. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
I agree, this is a great article that answered alot of my questions. I'm a newbee to this so I need all the help I can get. I'm almost there ,planning to get a Savage 30:06 with a Bushnell 3200 elite scope. Hope that works for me to at least start.

I agree, this is a great article that answered alot of my questions. I'm a newbee to this so I need all the help I can get. I'm almost there ,planning to get a Savage 30:06 with a Bushnell 3200 elite scope. Hope that works for me to at least start.

That will be a great starting point. In case you couldn't tell from my article, I love a Savage rifle. The 30-06 is a great caliber and loaded properly can get you out approximately 1200 yards for target maybe a bit farther. It is a solid 800-900 yard caliber for deer. Elk you will have to bring it in to about 500 or 600 yards. Using a good 180 to 190 grain class match bullet will get you there. I think you will be very happy with the 5-15x40 Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical. They actually use this same scope on 50BMG's. That says volumes for its ability to stay together for proper operation.

Blessings and Good shooting,
Jeromy

Where was this article not to long ago...it sure would have come in handy. Given that I still got some good info out of it. Well written, not boring and in terms a novice could understand. Thanks for writing it and sharing with us.

That will be a great starting point. In case you couldn't tell from my article, I love a Savage rifle. The 30-06 is a great caliber and loaded properly can get you out approximately 1200 yards for target maybe a bit farther. It is a solid 800-900 yard caliber for deer. Elk you will have to bring it in to about 500 or 600 yards. Using a good 180 to 190 grain class match bullet will get you there. I think you will be very happy with the 5-15x40 Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical. They actually use this same scope on 50BMG's. That says volumes for its ability to stay together for proper operation.

Jeromy
Thanks Jeromy! You and yours have a nice Christmas

Jeromy
I forgot to ask whats the best rings to get to mount on the savage with that 5X15=40?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.