How do I get a redding expander button out of a case

wpwarren

I was using a redding full length sizing die to resize my .300 WM that had previously only been neck sized. This is the first time I had used the die. I was able to size one case, but with a lot of difficulty. I backed the die out a half turn and tried to resize a second case and the case got stuck. I went out and bought a stuck case removal tool and am able to get the case unstuck from the die body, but cannot get the expander button out of the case. The removal tool is not long enough to pull the button through the neck of the case and because of the way Redding type A dies are made you cannot thread the expanding/decapping rod through the die. How am I supposed to get the thing out?

As a side note I measured the first case I resized and it measured more than 3 thousandths smaller than the case dimensions published in my reloading manuals. Is this normal? I wouldn't think you would want the die to size the case that much smaller than nominal dimensions.

Ive had that problem before. Drill out the primer pocket with a 5/16" drill bit, then pull the expander up into the neck tight then unscrew the decaping rod from the expander. then tap the expander out the neck and it will fall out the 5/16" hole

The case is ruined so carefully cut it open.

I suggest cleaning your die. Do it like you clean your rifle.

There are many ways to lube cases for full length sizing. I use the oiled pad method. Lightly lube the inside parts of the die with what ever you use. What ever you do make sure the case is lubed.

Restart you dept setting of the die:

Back out the die. Each 360 degrees of a 7/8-14 is 0.0714". I would start .050 off. This may result in a cartridge that is actually longer than when fired. Just turn the die in until the shoulder is .001 to .002 shorter than fired. Set it and forget it. ,

Now your indexing on the shoulder and none of that belt stuff matters anymore.

I use a dremel and cut the case off. I have only had a case sticking problem with one sizing die and it was a Hornady FL 22/250. I started using an RCBS set I bought off a friend and solved my case sticking problem. I lube the cases with Hornady Oneshot and and other than this have never had a case sticking issue with this case lube. BTW, I tried using RCBS sizing lubricant with the Hornady die and stuck another one. No more Hornady dies for me. I have read rants from other reloaders about how Hornady dies suck but had never experienced any problems until this happened. I really like Redding dies and have only had one issue with them and that was a mis-sized die for 300WSM, after sizing the case the bullets would fall into the case. I sent the sizer back to Redding and had a new die back in just a few days with an apology.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The expander threads were jacked up so I had to really ream on it to get it to unthread from the rod but when it did I was able to drill out the end of the case and get it to fall out the bottom. Upon closer inspection it appears that the hole for the decapper/expander rod is not bored concentric to the body of the die. This is the 3rd Redding die I have seen this with. So far I am not impressed. My cheap Lee dies seem to be better made.

So far I am not impressed. My cheap Lee dies seem to be better made.
Yep, my sentiments exactly.

If you are going to Redding dies you are going to have to use a quality lube inside each and every case neck before sizing.

The Redding standard expanders have 5 times the surface area as a expander ball, and the necks "must" be lubed. I hate them and think that type expander with that much surface area pulls on the neck too much.

You can buy a replacement "Redding carbide floating expander button" that will be slicker than snot on a door knob. :D

You can also raise the expander like the Forster expander to reduce neck runout. Meaning the expander enters the case neck while the die holds and centers the case neck.

Copper tubing (pipe) cutter
I have had the same problem and after drilling out the primer pocket and the expander ball stuck in the case. The case is no good ,I would hack saw the case to the expander ball. I now use a tube cutter is not as messy and less chance of damage to the expander ball with the hack saw blade.:)

Wow. I've only stuck a couple of military 223 cases, and they came out easily. I use a lot of Hornady dies, and have had any sticking problems I could blame on the dies. I did learn long ago that the most reliable case lube seems to be Dillons spray type. I make my own version now from lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol. For reference, I process thousands of milsurp 223/5.56 cases every month. I get the stuff so cheaply that I can't say no. It does keep me out of the Bingo parlors though.

Wow. I've only stuck a couple of military 223 cases, and they came out easily. I use a lot of Hornady dies, and have had any sticking problems I could blame on the dies. I did learn long ago that the most reliable case lube seems to be Dillons spray type. I make my own version now from lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol. For reference, I process thousands of milsurp 223/5.56 cases every month. I get the stuff so cheaply that I can't say no. It does keep me out of the Bingo parlors though.
I used make my own, and found signs of flash rust inside my dies. I now use Hornady spray lube and now have no problems with flash rust.

If you are lazy you can dissemble the die and put the body of the die in a vibratory tumbler to polish the die inside and out and remove any rust.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts