How common do you shoot better at distance?

coop2564

Curious how others shoot at distance compared to 100yds. I seem to almost always shoot better at distance, theory says if you shoot 1" at 100yds you should be roughly 8" at 800yds. Yet I do much better usually, Saturday with my 270w Xbolt with 150gr Berger VLD's. I checked zero and both groups were about .75" and .875 at 100yd, at 500yds first group was 2.5" 2nd was 2.25", at 800yds 4.125" and 4.75" all were only 3 shot groups. How often do you shoot better at distance than 100yds says you should. I think I must concentrate better when extending the range. conditions were perfect less than 5mph wind at my back, 45 degrees. Then finished with 10rds on 4" steel at 500yds. Sure makes you walk away feeling good lol.

I usually do better at distance if it's not too windy, since I've stopped looking at the paper and focus on the reticle at a 100 I've been more consistent.
Which is the main difference I believe when shooting far

Yes the wind was perfect very light and at my back. Most days with that gun I'm about 6 to maybe 7" at 800yds. Felt great shooting in the fours.

Yes the wind was perfect very light and at my back. Most days with that gun I'm about 6 to maybe 7" at 800yds. Felt great shooting in the fours.
Best group I ever shot at distance was 3 shots in a group the size of my palm at 1354 yards. I just try to forget the fact that the next time I went out I couldnt hit the broad side of a barno_O

I've never tried a shot that far 1000 on 12" plate has been my longest. My local range only goes to 800yds.

I shots better at longer distance. I think because I am better able to relax on the aiming and let the shot happen. At close range I have a harder time not trying to force the shot.
I think you maybe right. at distance shots I cant see the spot clearly as crosshair tends to cover much more of the target, so I just let it float and squeeze until she pops. At 100 I tend to feel the now when I'm on spot.

I have found this to be the case at times. While it may simply be a degree concentration when shooting at longer then usual ranges, it may also be caused by parallax. Parallax is much more influential at 100-300 yards, then the longer ranges, particularly when used at high power. While many claim that if parallax is corrected for vertical movement(of the eye), it is automatically corrected for the horizontal. I have found this is NOT always the case, even with some top-name/high end scopes. My short range high precision shooting(200/300 yard egg shoots) has improved radically since I began checking/tuning for both vertical and horizontal movement of the crosshair.

I think that part of it is that at short range you can see your group forming and you are trying to "shoot into the group" while at long range you probably can't see your group forming. Try this next time you are shooting short range: Adjust your scope so that the point of impact is 4 -6 " to one side (or above/below if you prefer) of your aiming point. When you steady your scope on your aiming point, you won't be able to see your prior shots. I bet your short range groups improve this way.

I think that part of it is that at short range you can see your group forming and you are trying to "shoot into the group" while at long range you probably can't see your group forming. Try this next time you are shooting short range: Adjust your scope so that the point of impact is 4 -6 " to one side (or above/below if you prefer) of your aiming point. When you steady your scope on your aiming point, you won't be able to see your prior shots. I bet your short range groups improve this way.
Another good point, I'll try this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.