How come real smart guys don't use paragraphs?

"If you want people to read your brilliant thoughts and ideas, best to present it in a way that will keep them engaged".
This.

I have learned a lot on this site, but I no doubt could have learned a lot more if I had the patience to decipher some of the posts that lack punctuation or proper grammar and flow.

This.

I have learned a lot on this site, but I no doubt could have learned a lot more if I had the patience to decipher some of the posts that lack punctuation or proper grammar and flow.
When I see a wall of text post, even if it's something I'm really interested in, more often than not I move on. It's just to hard to keep my place and it all seems to run together.

It's not a College Level English class here so I don't expect perfection but it's up to the writer to make their postings easy to read and follow.

"How come", is actually perfectly correct grammatically. It's shortened from "how did things come about like that".

I learn something new every day! Thank you!!

"How come", is actually perfectly correct grammatically. It's shortened from "how did things come about like that".

Please , forgive me for my misspelling sometimes and not proper wording . I'll try too do better but have a 3 yr old grandson I watch and a nagging wife while I'm posting most of the time , telling me that's all I do is look at the Long Range Hunting Forum . I hope you can find a little humor in this post , at least I tried .

Please , forgive me for my misspelling sometimes and not proper wording . I'll try too do better but have a 3 yr old grandson I watch and a nagging wife while I'm posting most of the time , telling me that's all I do is look at the Long Range Hunting Forum . I hope you can find a little humor in this post , at least I tried .
If we had grammar and spelling tests here we'd all fail frequently.
Just use paragraph's please!

Probably because they just get on a tear and their minds are running so far ahead of their fingers it's just a game of catchup.

On BB's the lack of paragraphing by people who post walls of text makes for unpleasant reading.
This is what happens to me when I write.
Weird part was it took a very good teacher in high school to noticed my handwriting started off fine then became not legible.
Someone close to him had the same issues so he knew what to look for.
While typing though it tends to be lack of caring for the most part. Maybe just do t care enough to be judged on it anymore. Who knows. Wish I could clean it up but also don't care enough to try.

This is what happens to me when I write.
Weird part was it took a very good teacher in high school to noticed my handwriting started off fine then became not legible.
Someone close to him had the same issues so he knew what to look for.
While typing though it tends to be lack of caring for the most part. Maybe just do t care enough to be judged on it anymore. Who knows. Wish I could clean it up but also don't care enough to try.
Being a Firearms and Self Defense instructor who works quite a bit in the public and as a consultant on shootings I've had to really polish up on my communications skills over the years.

One of the toughest things in effective communication is getting your intended audience interested and then to hold their attention.

Paragraphing is one of the best ways I know to get there.

WOW!
I hope that you were not referring to the LRH Forum with your post. If you were then you may need to look for another Forum. If you were not referring to this Forum then why Post this on LRH?

I guess some of the members are not scholars, but most do enjoy this forum. They probably feel good when they get a chance to post, and some are excited to share their experiences.
No one is forced to read another member's, so called, unpleasant paragraphs.
I am sure that there are other Forums on the internet that would be more pleasurable reading.
https://americanenglish.state.gov/forum
General Discussion:

I'm posting this for the same reason that people complain about bad weather, ticks, warm beer, inflation, commute traffic and many other aggravating situations - general discussion - no more, no less. LRH contains these aggravations. LRH is informative and is a small part of my daily reading.

As to reading the stuff that prompted my post. There would be no "unpleasant paragraphs" because these guys don't use paragraphs. Going thru 87 pages of a 3-paragraph report is an aggravation. Like what is this guy saying?

I don't expect to see an 87-page, 3 paragraph post on LRH.

I went to a large state university and completed my English composition course with a tie for 2nd highest in the class. The bad news that the grade was a "D". 18 students, 1 "C", 2 "D"'s & 15 "F"s. That's That is "unpleasant"! Use of a contraction would be punished. What happened to the bell-shaped curve - I guess the instructor thought we were all dummies.

This week's planned reading:
IMG_1632.JPG

Last edited:
General Discussion:

I'm posting this for the same reason that people complain about bad weather, ticks, warm beer, inflation, commute traffic and many other aggravating situations - general discussion - no more, no less. Common complaints occur on LRH.

What if reading this stuff was a requirement? There would be no "unpleasant paragraphs" because these guys don't use paragraphs. Going thru 87 pages of a 3-paragraph report is an aggravation. Like what is this guy saying?

I don't expect to see an 87-page, 3 paragraph post on LRH.

I went to a large state university and completed my English composition course with a tie for 2nd highest in the class. The bad news that the grade was a "D". 18 students, 1 "C", 2 "D"'s & 15 "F"s. That's That is "unpleasant"! Use of a contraction would be punished.

Sounds like your teacher was a real gem or maybe everyone was stoned or something. Heck,I don't know. Heck no wonder college is so
Expensive-18 kids in one class.

Since this is a general discussion thread, the era we are in that seems to have everybody moderating or attempting to moderate everyone else is a real but chapper for me.

I used to try and indent for my paragraphs on this forum only to find out that when "post reply" is clicked on, it doesn't happen. And never thought another thing about it

I don't really care to look back and see how well my threads are structured. Maybe I should, lmao.
But what torques me more than anything is not knowing how to shut spellcheck off on my phone.

I never went to a fancy college or trade school even. I did go to the "Hard Knocks" academy like many on here. 💩 I don't even have a High School diploma. I am self employed and have been for over two thirds of my work career.
And again, like many, I'm not paying off some loan for an education I really didn't need or drain my parents bank account going to college.
Don't know if that last paragraph was to
long or not. Don't care either.

Don't get used to it, I gave you a teaser of me attempting to make a good paragraph written post.

Last edited:
Lately, I have been reading stuff written by guys who are at the certified genius level (Mensa, 98th percentile). Including doctorate level math types. Their writing ability is terrible & if they were not geniuses, they would get no more than "C" grades in composition. Terrible organization, repetition, and a jumble of verbiage (word blasts) having sentences up to 80 words strung out with no paragraphs. Possibly, these guys might not be that smart.

I love it when there are no periods. Not only is it one giant paragraph, but the longest sentences I've read. Makes my head hurt and hard to read lol. Easy to just to move on instead of reading it.

Einstein struggled to keep his shoes tied. Some believe he just didn't care.
Ben Franklin and Thomas Edison were so terribly disorganized they hired people just for it.

I had a neighbor that was a test engineer for Howard Hughes and although brilliant, he only wore white coveralls and didn't brush his teeth.
Sometimes you have to be willing to look for the nuggets in the Gravel. If you only see Gravel, you'll miss them.