How come no forum for moose hunting?

I knew guys who took a moose every year. They shared with their friends, family and neighbors. Everybody loved eating moose. I've been one of those neighbors a few times. Moose is a great tasting treat. I know why wolves love moose.

A friend who is among the greatest storytellers of all my time on earth told me he shot a moose once. Said he'd never do it again. Never again wanted to work that hard. He even threatened a dear friend while his friend was quartering a moose with his crosshairs across a ravine. Claimed if he pulled the trigger he'd die getting it out by himself. Their elk hunt continued uninterrupted by a moose carcass.

In 1983 a native buddy and I snuck 10 miles into the wilderness north of Chitek Lake, Saskachewan on a minimal equipment moose hunt. We snuck up so close to a moose that we could hear it chewing its favorite food. After glorying in the experience for a while, we looked at each other, and lit up our Players Lights, smoked them to the filters and turned our backs on that moose's now empty, steaming bed, and walked 10 miles back to our pickups, burdened only by our rifles.

The last time "W" shot a moose that far back he told me it took him and a bunch of his friends three days of work to get it out. We had the time. We were young. We were pretty fit. We weren't as willing as we were at the tag buying counter, though.

Rifles? "W" carried the Winchester 94 in 30-30 that he had fed moose to his family for for the preceding nine years. I carried a Ruger #1 Tropical in the unnecessary .458 Winchester. I traded a Winchester .22 for it - straight across. It was the only centerfire I had for a while there. Sure was a good gopher gun. Never shot a moose with it though.

My favorite hunt ever was a Alaskan archery Moose hunt. Ended up shooting a 63" moose, which wasn't the biggest we saw, and it produced over 750 pound of meat! Thankfully we only had to pack it about 150 yards to the raft on the river. Moose meat is by far our favorite game meat, so much so that my wife says as long as I bring one home I can go again.....though family obligations will push that years out.

Myself and a group of family and friend moose hunt annually! It is fantastic meat and by far the thing I look forward too most each season! Leave for the 11 day trip October 17 and can not wait! It is not easy task getting this animals back to camp, and certain area's in the north are quite tough to get a small animal out nevermind a moose!

The smallest caliber brought up has been a 260. Rem. The smallest caliber our group has taken moose with is a 270. Win. 90% of the guys up where we hunt use 30-06 or 7mm mag. Personally I normally use a 300. Win mag, have a lighter weight more of a hunting rifle in 7mm rem mag for the days where we might be hiking a little further. And debating on stepping into the 338 Lapua range of calibers in the next few years

I'm mainly a moose hunter, shoot one most years. Yes they are big and a lot of work once they hit the ground. If you're lucky enough to be near a road then a bunch of rope and a pulley are a life saver. Some guys use portable winches. I've packed my share of quarters over the shoulder, or pulled on a sled in the snow. If you want to eat good then you just suck it up and do it. That said, I have passed a couple that I knew would of been beyond hard to get out.

The farthest I had to get one was about 1000 feet.Using block and tackle with a canoe cut in half it came out

Myself and a group of family and friend moose hunt annually! It is fantastic meat and by far the thing I look forward too most each season! Leave for the 11 day trip October 17 and can not wait! It is not easy task getting this animals back to camp, and certain area's in the north are quite tough to get a small animal out nevermind a moose!

The smallest caliber brought up has been a 260. Rem. The smallest caliber our group has taken moose with is a 270. Win. 90% of the guys up where we hunt use 30-06 or 7mm mag. Personally I normally use a 300. Win mag, have a lighter weight more of a hunting rifle in 7mm rem mag for the days where we might be hiking a little further. And debating on stepping into the 338 Lapua range of calibers in the next few years
Where do you go for moose hunting? I am thinking of hunting moose next year. will be coming from MN. I would appreciate all help I can get - where to go, where to stay, etc. Thank you!

I'm mainly a moose hunter, shoot one most years. Yes they are big and a lot of work once they hit the ground. If you're lucky enough to be near a road then a bunch of rope and a pulley are a life saver. Some guys use portable winches. I've packed my share of quarters over the shoulder, or pulled on a sled in the snow. If you want to eat good then you just suck it up and do it. That said, I have passed a couple that I knew would of been beyond hard to get out.
I am thinking of hunting moose next year, will be coming from MN, can you help with advice where to go, where to stay, etc? Thank you!

Recent Posts