How close is the cosign rule in slope shooting?

If a guy is shooting at a known range on flat ground you wouldn't use a rangefinder or any "gadgets" anyway.Wind reading "gadgets" don't usually work very well being wind is so variable between you and the target. You seem like you don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the topic other than watching some guys make some wind calls on a range
And you have won a gold medal at the Olympic, like half of the internet hahaha

I was too in the beginning. I was involved in counter sniper training in the military and was part of multiple exercises to try and not be a statistic. I was intrigued by the long range game and wound up getting private instruction from an army sniper and the quest to learn was set. Since then I have worked with several instructors and train long range courses as well. The world of long range is popular and developing and people desire to be part of it. Scopes, rifles, gadgets is all appealing to people. Their lives don't depend on the rifle nor the gadgets so often people could care less if they trained well enough to make a 800 yard shot on a game animal in ****** conditions. If their gadgets fail they will move into to point blank range or they will not a fill a tag that day. In the end, that is fine. I often find people start off simple and then dig into the details as they gain experience. Why did my data work yesterday and not today..... those are the guys who eventually need very little wizardry but still may prefer to use it. Heck I carry a LRF bow hunting and I have a range estimator in my sights in case of failure, but I practice range estimation all year anyway. I like tech but I don't want to rely it solely. Those new guys at the range will get there too.

I agree with you. LR shooting takes lots of practice for hunters to develop the skills. I know personally many, which buy fancy rifles, gadgets and then selling them 2 years later. They would not spend time developing shooting skills and think the gadgets will make you a precision shooter without putting your time into it.

the easiest way to get it right is take the degree angle from your RF of it has it and plug it into your Kestrel

if using a COSINE Indicator use it's number and plug it into the quick formula both methods will give you the correct come up on your turret

Actually the easiest is to use a SIG2400 ABS; tells you exactly where to aim without having to look at a Kestrel.

Looks like you are another one of those Olympic winners who need a gadget to take cr*ap, hahahaha.
Obviously I really don't have to comment about the immature way you spew answers and comments because everyone reading what you are saying is already aware of it. However, I have never been to the Olympics, let alone win a medal but, I have taken almost every game animal Alaska has to offer. I would also offer some sound advice that "it's better to remain silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt " but, you probably won't pay attention to it either. Whatever makes you think any long range rifle can't take an animal in the Bush under 100yards is absolutely nonsense.

The cosine formula is tremendously accurate providing the angle & distance is carefully measured. I also hunt a lot of steep country that often presents steep downhill shots. I have tested my range finder that has the true horizontal distance calculation (tbr) in the display, an older Leupold RX-1200TBR. Lots of good tbr rangefinders on the market. My rangefinder is very accurate on distance both on flat ground & uphill / downhill. I was fortunate enough to be able to place targets at 50yd intervals out to 450yds on a 50degree slope. Impacts on target we're virtually identical to flat ground. Since you have to use a rangefinder anyway you can forget about errors in calculating & using a table. Just range and shoot. I hope a big Bull is in your future.
Thanks so much! I was hoping to find someone who had actually done the shooting at high angles and longer distances.
JC

Experience is a time consuming process that everyone must Go through to gain knowledge. This Site has members new with Limited skills. Then there are the ones with Unlimited Abilities! Where do I fit in? Disabled Combat Veteran Infantrymen, 5 years Active Duty U.S. Marine Corps, 3 Tours Vietnam. 74 years old, been hunting and shooting since I was 8. I have allot of experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. BUT, what I have upstairs doesn't do me any good if I withhold it from those who's ask for my guidance. Does Cosine Work? Yes. But you have to first develop your shooting skills. That Involves allot of trigger time. Your rifle has to fit you. Setup requires a known brand of rifle, trigger, scope base, scope rings, scope and a stock that fits. Then you need to learn and apply All the Elements to accurate firing and consistently hitting the target with less than 1/4 minute accuracy. Develop data that has been confirmed and validated. A person can do all the above. However, with an elk at 600 yds across several draws, and ridges, at a steep angle up or down, Blow the shot! Or wound an animal that can and will cover allot of country. Practice, Practice, get a shooting coach to build your confidence. Most local ranges have members happy to help! Good Luck. SEMPER FEDELIS

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.