How clean is clean?

I am getting ready for an upcoming once in a lifetime antelope hunt in western Oklahoma. I took my Browning 270WSM X-Bolt rifle out and ran the Teslong borescope down the barrel. I thought I had some carbon and copper buildup that I may have not removed from the last hunting trip. I ran several patches of Bore Tech carbon remover and a bronze brush, then several patches of Eliminator and proof positive nylon brush. After going through this process my patches come out clean. But looking through the borescope I am not sure if what I am seeing is normal or carbon buildup.

The muzzle end appears clean.

I am preparing to sight the rifle in and wanted to start out with a clean rifle and wasn't sure if this is clean or 'clean enough'. I don't want to go to the point that I am damaging the barrel.

Thanks in advance for all of the input and advice. I just started using the borescope and not really sure what I am seeing.
Brian
270WSM Muzzle 1.jpg
270WSM Breech.jpg
270WSM Breech 2.jpg

Looks like there is a little ( very little ) copper left but I would call it clean and put a few rounds through the barrel to foul it again. Then you're ready to take it hunting.
I agree with this. Also, considering that is a factory rifle / barrel, those borescope photos of your barrel look really good. Many (maybe most) factory barrels don't look nearly that good. Very smooth and the rifling looks good and sharp.

I am getting ready for an upcoming once in a lifetime antelope hunt in western Oklahoma. I took my Browning 270WSM X-Bolt rifle out and ran the Teslong borescope down the barrel. I thought I had some carbon and copper buildup that I may have not removed from the last hunting trip. I ran several patches of Bore Tech carbon remover and a bronze brush, then several patches of Eliminator and proof positive nylon brush. After going through this process my patches come out clean. But looking through the borescope I am not sure if what I am seeing is normal or carbon buildup.

I am preparing to sight the rifle in and wanted to start out with a clean rifle and wasn't sure if this is clean or 'clean enough'. I don't want to go to the point that I am damaging the barrel.

Thanks in advance for all of the input and advice. I just started using the borescope and not really sure what I am seeing.
Brian
View attachment 286880View attachment 286879View attachment 286881
Put some rounds through it. Nowadays folks worry too much about copper and damage to barrels. Looks like there is a little copper in one groove in the third photo. So what. In the future pay attention to noticeable loss of accuracy then clean well. Every rifle is different. Some shoot well dirty, some need 50-100 rounds to get accurate, some do better being spotless. By the way, copper seals imperfections in barrels. I know guys that never clean their rifles and some that clean after every firing. I'm somewhere in between. It depends how the individual rifle is shooting. I'll say one thing, after a good copper cleaning you may have lost some accuracy. It wouldn't hurt to verify your POI to see it meets your expectations. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Look for causes with a borescope. Look for problems on the target. Most barrels get to kind of an equilibrium point with copper. …where there is some, but cleaning is stopped. You can clean it all out with harsh chemicals and aggressive techniques, but you would rather not. Most barrels prefer to run a little dirty in my opinion.

Brian
View attachment 286880View attachment 286879View attachment 286881
copper is not what kills barrels, Carbon build up is. Copper acts like a lube some what.I start out the year with a clean barrel caopper will give you a bit more Vel and I carbon out the barrel after a range session but not the copper when I find my group open up then I will clean the copper out one rifle it is right around 120 rounds the other around 300-350 rounds

copper is not what kills barrels, Carbon build up is. Copper acts like a lube some what.I start out the year with a clean barrel caopper will give you a bit more Vel and I carbon out the barrel after a range session but not the copper when I find my group open up then I will clean the copper out one rifle it is right around 120 rounds the other around 300-350 rounds