How clean is clean?

RODSTRADLEY

Been cleaning some rifles and trying to get all of the carbon traces removed. I have always thought that the barrels where clean when the last patch came out spotless, until the purchased a bore scope! Now I have become obsessed about getting every trace of carbon out of the groves, am I going to far?

In my opinion, it depends on the powder being used. Last 3 yrs I have been shooting a fair amount of H4895 and RL 16, these powders build up bad in the first 5" of the barrel and it becomes imperative to get it clean.
On the other side, I have shot a fair amount of IMR Enduron and VV N 500 series powders where no is the answer, but still need periodic cleanings.
Your new borescope will answer all your questions as you go.

The powder that shoots good is RL-15 but I really don't know how the barrel looked like before. Just how clean is the RL-15 compared to Varget or something else in that burn rate?
PS 6.5 Grendel

I run whatever powder shoots well, and for specific rifles temp stability may be as important. If the powder does what I expect of it I then engage in a cleaning schedule as required. Some more, some less. For me it's easier to patch frequently or occasionally brush than to fight a filthy barrel. But then I don't shoot PRS or other high round count competitions. Perhaps look into TubbDust? It's a decoppering powder you can add to any gunpowder. I don't have direct experience with it but I've used powders that contain decoppering additives and they definitely kept the bore clean.

My problem is the very stubborn carbon and any mess that brings with it. I will just have to do my cleaning more often. I really want to know is there anybody that cleans all of the carbon completely out of the rifling or is it a waste of time?

My problem is the very stubborn carbon and any mess that brings with it. I will just have to do my cleaning more often. I really want to know is there anybody that cleans all of the carbon completely out of the rifling or is it a waste of time?
I thought I said I did in my first post. Witches Brew from Hollands Shooter Supply and JB bore paste mixed with Kroil will get stubborn crap out. Then make a note not to let it get that bad next go.

Been cleaning some rifles and trying to get all of the carbon traces removed. I have always thought that the barrels where clean when the last patch came out spotless, until the purchased a bore scope! Now I have become obsessed about getting every trace of carbon out of the groves, am I going to far?

Depends on the barrel. Factory barrels need a bit of copper left to fill in the manufacturing divots. Custom barrels can be swept clean providing they were machined and lapped correctly. Carbon rings are taken care of with the commonly mentioned cleaners.

I have mixed rubbing and polishing compound with Free All and Ballistol oil ( not all mix together) used bronze and nylon brushes, patches even pellets. There are still some traces of carbon in the groves from the start of the groves and runs about five inches then dissipates. The barrel is a BA 20" SS.

Years ago, I went down to the automotive store and bought a bottle of carburetor cleaner. On stubborn carbon, I just soak a patch. run it through effected area and let it sit. On real stubborn carbon, I run a light patch of JB paste just once or twice through effected area to open up the surface - then hit it with carb cleaner.

If you "over clean" the barrel it my require an excessive number of fouling shots to regain accuracy. I used bore polish on a rifle and it required 14 rounds to regain proper point of impact. Although the bore needed the cleaning I was surprised at the number of fouling shots necessary.

It was shooting around 1 MOA after I got the load figured out, then the bore scope. I will take some images tonight and post them and see what you guys think. I would like to here your honest opinion on the way the rifling looks.

I don't shoot like some people who run hundreds of round over the course of the day but my cleaning is based on hoppes # 9 cleaner (Or something similar)with several wet patches wrapped around a worn brush. Sobbing barrel good and Trying not to go over crown of barrel. I do this for several minutes. Then clean it with dry patches.
after this I take the right side bronze brush (New) and usually run it about 5-10 passes avoiding the crown sure enough here. Remove brush every time when u exit the barrel. Gun smith told me along time ago this is an exit point not enter. I
follow this with several wet patches and then followed with dry.
now one thing I do is remove my bore guide and gentlely stoke the bronze brush Down the barrel ensuring I hit the throat area in and around about Area. this is a feel method and gentle method not going crazy here.
follow up with wet patch and dry patches.

i typically clean above either at the end of deer season or if the gun starts shooting funny.
my cleaning methods are based on a very respectEd gun barrel maker telling me 15 years ago on how he cleans a barrel.
he told me more barrels are screwed up by men or women by cleaning than any thing else.
another thing I also do is if I do cleaning as mentioned above I always load up a reduced load Of ammunition and shoot fouling my barrel. Maybe 5 shots anyway. I've found that some guns on super clean barrels the pressure increases on new Clean barrels.
I wouldn't over think it and I'd be careful in what you clean a barrel with. If you have a concern or thought call the manufactory of the barrel company. The will tell you on products they like and what the hell to stay away from.
ive never tried to get every spec of carbon or copper out. That's me but some people clean there barrels out more than is needed than my opinion. And the way I'm OCD in reloading is why I would never buy a bore scope. I don't want to know As long as the gun shoots good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.