How clean is clean ?

When I clean my barrels I never shot them dry. I start with Kroil, and after I clean the barrel I soak a patch with Kroil and swab the barrel then run a just one dry patch. My cold bore shots is always the same or close to the same at 100 yards.

Shane, I used to that way, clean to spotless. But I would run a patch with oil down it. Maybe a dry one next. If it's a chrome moly barrel, fer sure. Stainless not too important , for rust prevent.
Now I have learned more about barrels and accuracy. Barrels, being micro porous, and bullets running down them under extreme pressure, will fill those pores and after shots,I don't know how many, and it will vary, those pores will fill and make the next bullets less deformed and fly truer. I have not noticed ANY degradation of accuracy and actually think it improves in this new method! I am still a fanatic on top accuracy.
Accuracy falls off after many, many rounds mostly because of throat errosion, not the bore. Learning is a good thing. Helps me to stay younger, too.😁

Shane, I used to that way, clean to spotless. But I would run a patch with oil down it. Maybe a dry one next. If it's a chrome moly barrel, fer sure. Stainless not too important , for rust prevent.
Now I have learned more about barrels and accuracy. Barrels, being micro porous, and bullets running down them under extreme pressure, will fill those pores and after shots,I don't know how many, and it will vary, those pores will fill and make the next bullets less deformed and fly truer. I have not noticed ANY degradation of accuracy and actually think it improves in this new method! I am still a fanatic on top accuracy.
Accuracy falls off after many, many rounds mostly because of throat errosion, not the bore. Learning is a good thing. Helps me to stay younger, too.😁
My son has a Remington 700p LTR and I bet he has about 300 rounds down the tube and that sucker still shoots half minute, but I have a few Browning Bar that require copper removal after about 40 rounds. I think it depends on what type gun it is. But im with you I would rather be shooting then cleaning any day.

I have a friend who had a Browning copper up bad. Sent it back and "new?" rifle did it too. But, it was accurate, just like b4! But it would copper up quick. Only rifle I have personally known to do that and still be accurate. I can only guess, but by filling the pores made it smoother to shoot better?

I have a friend who had a Browning copper up bad. Sent it back and "new?" rifle did it too. But, it was accurate, just like b4! But it would copper up quick. Only rifle I have personally known to do that and still be accurate. I can only guess, but by filling the pores made it smoother to shoot better?
Mine was still somewhat accurate with copper build up, but it would start throwing fliers about about 40 rounds. I would go back and do a copper removal then the fliers would tend to close up. All my bolts guns rarely see a cleaning rod. If they do it's because of load development or putting after hunting season.

Factory vs aftermarket barrels are different worlds. My first centerfire rifle was a REmington Sendero 300WM, a solid 1/3 MOA gun at 100 yards. But after 20ish rounds it quickly became a shotgun. A good treatment to remove carbon and copper and accuracy would return. Eventually I did a Tubbs bullet treatment on it, and it doubled the round count between accuracy loss.

Without exception my aftermarket barrels can go extremely long between deep cleanings. In fact I never clean them to the point that the patches come out white, seems like a waste of effort when the barrels are still shooting.

Factory vs aftermarket barrels are different worlds. My first centerfire rifle was a REmington Sendero 300WM, a solid 1/3 MOA gun at 100 yards. But after 20ish rounds it quickly became a shotgun. A good treatment to remove carbon and copper and accuracy would return. Eventually I did a Tubbs bullet treatment on it, and it doubled the round count between accuracy loss.

Without exception my aftermarket barrels can go extremely long between deep cleanings. In fact I never clean them to the point that the patches come out white, seems like a waste of effort when the barrels are still shooting.

Pretty much my experience too. I usually finish up with a patch with Ballistol. In my experience the smaller calibers will shoot on target from the first shot and a clean barrel. My Savage 270 would take 4-5 shots to settle down. First shot at 200yds would be 8" low. The new Hart barrel on it doesn't do that.

I have noticed the same thing about factory vs aftermarket barrels. I also use and love Ballistol! I even found a spot of surface rust on a pistol and ballistol took it off. It's an amazing "oil" as I think it's not made from petroleum ? The German's created it way back for their military. At any rate, good stuff.

I have heard not to leave anything in the barrel as when the bullet goes down it, any "wet" residue is not displaced fast enough and it can warp/cause problems with the barrel staying true...Is this accurate, I don't know, but I am not willing to test on my barrels, so I just dry em out. If going in storage for long term, I put some lube down them, but dry em before shooting.

I am pretty fanatical about ensuring the bore is dry after each cleaning session.
The first thing I do when I get to the range or before fouling my barrel for a hunting trip is make sure the barrel is not obstructed and dry by running one or two dry patches down the barrel

I have noticed the same thing about factory vs aftermarket barrels. I also use and love Ballistol! I even found a spot of surface rust on a pistol and ballistol took it off. It's an amazing "oil" as I think it's not made from petroleum ? The German's created it way back for their military. At any rate, good stuff.
Ballistol!!!

My Tikka .308 patches come out spotless. ELD-X ammo only.
My Tikka 6.5CM. Patches will be 100% clean. Accubonds only.

I use Boretech products. I have found carbon cleaner and copper cleaner to be sufficient to get my patches spotless. It does take 7 or 8 patches of Carbon cleaner before it cleans out for me. I let the barrel soak for 10-15 mins after every patch, so my cleaning is a rather long ordeal.