How big a load of steel BB's can you get in a 3.5" 12ga shell?

jmden

How big a load of steel BB's or BBB's can you get in a 3.5" 12ga shell when doing your own loading?

I'm thinking of getting into shotshell reloading but, but one emphasis would be being able to pack more shot into the shell than what is in factory loads.

I have yet to get a steel reloading book from Ballistic Products. I know there's several 1.5 oz bb and BBB loads on the market, and I understand the Kent Fasteel makes a 1 9/16oz. load.

Is it possible to fit 1 5/8 oz. steel BB or BBB load in a 3.5" shell?

Jon

Im looking for the same info, would like to reload remingtons 1 9/16 OZ steel loads. having truoble finding any info on that payload.

You can go to the Alliant Powder internet site and download their latest reload amanuall. It contains lots of data for reloading shotshells, including capacity of shot.

Last edited:
You can go to the Alliant Powder internet site and download their latest reload amanuall. It contains lots of data for reloading shotshells, including capacity of shot.

Thanks, The trouble im having is that I dont think they make a bushing to drop 1 9/16 OZ load of steel. Every thing I see only goes to 1 1/2 OZ.

I've busted alot of canada geese and ducks with 1.5 oz of No 2 using 43 gr of blue dot.
Ive never needed anything bigger then #2s. Usually #4s for ducks and that was 3 in. shells. I guess ducks and geese have gotten toughter over the years.

Good luck in finding what you need, I use a 600jr Mec with the univeral charge bar, so I don't really know alot about the bushings. I just found that I could do whatever I needed with the universal charge bar. Works great for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.