How barrel length affects velocity ...

I have seen a couple of these and have found them to be pretty consistent. I read one that was done with a cartridge that was quite over bore and I think they started with 30 or 32 inches of barrel and they cut it back to 20" if I remember correctly. I wish I had saved the article for the specific data, but it made me want a 30" 257Wby in the worst way!

I have seen a couple of these and have found them to be pretty consistent. I read one that was done with a cartridge that was quite over bore and I think they started with 30 or 32 inches of barrel and they cut it back to 20" if I remember correctly. I wish I had saved the article for the specific data, but it made me want a 30" 257Wby in the worst way!
Yep, I remember that but I too did not save the link. Here's another ...

I remember reading an article about 15-20 years ago by I believe it was John Barsness. He ran the same test with a "standard" caliber like 30'06 or .257 Roberts and velocity either did not change or got slightly faster from 30" to 18". It was quite interesting and an anomaly I'm sure....

Dan Lilja did an article on this that was very well thought out an executed.

Here is the link.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts