HOW AUSSIES DO IT DOWN UNDER.

Down Under Hunter

shoebox.msnw

After all the talk about no hunting pics, I thought I'd give you guys something to look at.

This stag was hunted for several weeks before feeding out at dark on evening recently. After ranging him at 411 M with the Geovid binos, I scrabled to a point to fire from. Holding for a high shoulder shot, I let the 300 weatherby bark andheard that pleasent "WHACK " !! After running approx fifty meters closer, I scrambled another round in the chamber before watching him fall over. One very happy hunter !!

Several weeks later I found another candidate see below

[image]javascript:tn_click_pic(3, 800, 599)[/image]

Same knd of deal as above , but at 448 M. At the shot the stag went up on his back legs before running into the dogwood and out of site. With no light left I elected to wait until morning to look.

Just after daybreak I snuck in and found him laying in the river. Backtracking him there was a huge amount of blood and carnage where he was standing and it appeared that it had be a quick end for him.

A number of weeks later I was watching some farm fringe country and glassed a group of deer containing a good stag. I snuck in around 100 m closer and set up at 378 M. At sthe shot he fell down but immediately got up and was gone. To cut a long story short I ended up recovering him 2 days later. The shot was back, but he had concealed himself well. I was very relieved. A it turned out, this was a stag that I had fired at the previous year in exactly the same spot.

[image]javascript:tn_click_pic(5, 800, 599)[/image]

Also a couple of pics of some other stags taken recently. One was taken after packing in for an overnighter.
[image]javascript:tn_click_pic(6, 800, 599)[/image]
[image]javascript:tn_click_pic(7, 800, 599)[/image]

After setting up the ambush, the stag came down to feed at dark. After moving several times for the shot I waited 10 min for him to clear some light bush covering his vitals. At 175 m I let the tsx 168 grn go and watched him swallow the shot and dash into cover. I found him 50 m in the next morning.

After getting a taste for this style of hunting, I have bitten the bullet and organised a new super 338 from a well known super gunsmith. That should handle them !!

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We lost some of this thread because of the cutoff time when we did the database backup just before the import. Maybe one of you smart guys can do some copy/paste from the old site. This is a great thread.

The pictures above didn't show on the old thread either because they were done wrong. But there were pictures posted on the old site later...that did work. Maybe somebody can go back and get them.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL THREAD WITH PICTURES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few more short tales of an elk hunt I had recently in Gardiner MT.

The hunting was with Hells a Roarin outfitters based at Jardine MT. This hunt takes place on the migration route for the northern Yellowstone herd in the Paradise valley.

For any of you who have seen this part of the world, it is breath taking to say the least. Snow capped peaks and the real horseback western culture.

After hunting for a couple of weeks with out seeing many elk outside the park I got lucky and killed a great bull that grossed around 356 with only 5 x 6 main frame. His fifth on one side was only a half inch long. He has great war tines, heavily palmated and 25 inches in length, with just great mass through the rack. Probably a 12 year old bull past his best, but he looks wild to me.
PB240217.jpg

After riding to a glassing spot I spotted the bull acrpss the valley, a good hour ride away. After watching for a while, I thought I better get over there. With the light fading I snuck in to where I thought he would be, then noticed a big creamy shape watching me from only 40 yards. All I could see was a front on view, with big everything so raised the gun and put one in the brisket. Down he went on the spot.
PB190180.jpg

Some bulls photographed at Yellowstone PArk WY
PB100133.jpg

This is a 380 class bull taken a week earlier by another hunter in camp

After seventeen days of hunting it sure was good to get one. The Johnson family of Jardine run a great operation with fantastic experienced guides. If the snow gets deep in Nov, it's the place to be.

Thanks to Hells A Roarin Outfitters again.

PB300246.jpg

Also a nice mule deer taken in NE MT as a bonus
PB030079.jpg

Helping to get the thread back on track.

Lets see if we cant work this out ?

Buffalobob, I think the pics you have with this article came off a second article I posted about a MT elk hunt ? If memory serves me correctly you were clever enough the first time to upload the Sambar pics for this article correctly so everyone could see them. Unfortunately I think I will struggle to get it all back together in the right place.

Any clues ??

We'll all get the hang of this shortly.

The page looks pretty cool though !

My mistake,
but its OK, the original thread was lost anyway. What I would suggest, since I goofed up this thread, is to make a totally new thread with a new title and do the images this way-------------

When using the reply/post box for typing go up to the top and click on the symbol of the picture of a mountain and a sun. It asks you for a URL, not an image code. You are using the old format and supplying an "image code". The URL will begin with "http:". Make sure you don't double post "http" or else it will goof up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.