How are the 6.5prc rifles doing?

I have an MOA Rifles built on an Evo long action. Have shot Berger 140 and the new classic hunter 135 also 143 & 147 hornady. All shoot less than 0.5. The 135 Berger is a one hole gun. Shot it to 900yds. Actually has much more Velocity than the others and shoots flatter and better impact energy to 900 yds than the others. Shot antelope this last year and a whitetail at 750. Shot an Auodad in NM at 335y and all were one shot kills. A doe antelope at only 265 had ferocious exit wound and chest damage. The Auodad didn't exit but turned the chest to jello and it's my belief they are as tough as elk to kill, so unlikely I'll shoot any elk unless it's a late season cow! I like mine so well that I'm going to build one in a Carbon from MOA. I have multiple of Bob's rifles and the 6.5 PRC has been a total surprise, have become one of my favorites. The PRC is what the Creedmoor should have been, the 22 Creedmoor from MOA that I have is where Hornady should have gone!

That's a crappy deal fore sure, buy a factory rifle to find out after the fact that it's 2 miles to the lands,,, I've seen this all to often...

So I build all my short case cartridges on long actions so I don't have to feed the Grizzly Bears by hand...

Of course I have 1 short action left in my collection that will soon trade hands when another long action shows up at my door...at least my Ought-6 booltiz can seat loooooong in my Remmy LR unit,,, darn lucky for that,,, hopefully my new cartridge build allows for the 20 thou off the lands.

Factory ELDM first groups after zero
TIKKA Carbon six chambered 6.5 PRC
3A6A7477-CE3F-4D6E-9597-5C4B8608DFA1.jpeg
83464975-A3B3-40D6-A505-91977D817193.jpeg

Tons of room on a 700 long action. kinda defeats the purpose of the 6.5 prc but i wanted a switch barrel set up i could run multiple calibers so it works great for me. Feeds fine out of a magpul bottom metal with magnum magazines.

What will you run off of it besides the 6.5PRC?

I have both a 6.5cm and a 6.5prc. the 6.5cm is 24" barrel and shoots hornady factory 140gr ammo at 2688fps (i think this is a little slow as barrel isn't broken in yet)

6.5prc 147 factory horandy ammo is 2942 (barrel also is brand new with less than 50 rounds down it)

Unless you can get a 6.5cm to shoot a 147gr bullet at 2900fps then the PRC is much faster then 50 fps over 6.5cm. Also note that in my test the 6.5prc is shooting 147gr bullets, not 140. I have found not only to be accurate but with Horandy factory ammo i'm getting and SD of 15. Pretty good in my book.

I have both a 6.5cm and a 6.5prc. the 6.5cm is 24" barrel and shoots hornady factory 140gr ammo at 2688fps (i think this is a little slow as barrel isn't broken in yet)

6.5prc 147 factory horandy ammo is 2942 (barrel also is brand new with less than 50 rounds down it)

Unless you can get a 6.5cm to shoot a 147gr bullet at 2900fps then the PRC is much faster then 50 fps over 6.5cm. Also note that in my test the 6.5prc is shooting 147gr bullets, not 140. I have found not only to be accurate but with Horandy factory ammo i'm getting and SD of 15. Pretty good in my book.

To me that is the key. Factory to factory comparison. When reloading and unlocking a chambers potential there are a lot of variables that seem to net a wide variety of results. However not all barrels produce the same results as well. I have a 26" creed running factory 140's at 2840 and the same ammo in a 24 is 2715. It's weird to see such a large variance. If someone were to take this sole experience they might say the prc is not all it is cracked up to be. Thanks for sharing your data. Looking forward to seeing how my prc does soon. Running a 22" carbon proof

800-900 rounds of barrel life is what i have heard from 2 gunsmiths on PRS rifles. I think its a great hunting cartridge. Just depends on what you want the rifle to do and how many rounds you want to put through it. I average around 100 rounds a month on my 6.5 creed so its hard for me to justify another 6.5 mm.

It will be interesting to see what the new 6.5 .264 153gr A Tip with a .355 (G7) BC will do at the range. And how it will do out of a 6.5PRC or other 6.5 cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts