How accurate is ONX?

Absolutely worth it. I have been using it for years. Saving points, amazing. Staying on or off private as needed? Imperative!
Here is just one unit in AZ for water holes....
Screenshot_20211031-103130_onX Hunt.jpg

Just before I went to Wyoming this past June, I purchased BaseMaps.

I don't know all the differences in the to, but BaseMaps does everything and more that I want it to do at a very cheaper price.

When I got into the prairie dog fields, I started using my range finder and mapped out my area. I then used BaseMaps and started ranging with it and found it to be close enough for the type of ranging I needed to do. BaseMaps will not tell you it's 326 yards to the target, but it may tell you it's 320 yards. That's close enough for me. Since then, I'm using BaseMaps for all my field work before the hunt.

I draw a small map of the area in my notebook and range out to key points and write the distance on the map. I find this much faster than trying to range every shot and a quick glance at my drawing and good to go. BaseMaps allows me to do this.

You can also mark the area on your screen if you want.

The biggest plus for me with BaseMaps vs ONX is the cost. With the purchase of BaseMaps, you get all of the US for the same price you get one state.

I like it, but the property lines can be a smidge off-- see my pic below-- the red lines are where onx says the prop lines are, but if you look at the sat imaging, you can clearly see the fence lines/prop lines are a bit off.
Sometimes roads (mainly dirt/fr County roads) are off too. On my map pic below, that dotted white road is 3 properties over, so it's not even close to where it should be)
I've also noticed it takes them some time to update property owner info when a transfer takes place
Screenshot_20211101-074945_onX Hunt.jpg

It's accurate, but sometimes the orientation of the compass isn't accurate. I've contacted them about this issue. They say it's peoples phones. But I've followed the instructions and I have an Android A51. You have to play with it every time you turn it on. But as far as knowing where you're at, bounderies, private property, etc. it's good!

"Accuracy" is ambiguous.

Is it accurate as far as the property boundaries? Yes. More so then most gate post. According to some trespassing disputes.

If you use the app, then the compass IS only as accurate as the phone as it uses the onboard electronic compass. Accuracy of a compass starts with the user knowing that the phone compass or even gps compass is in true north, magnetic or grid north. Digital compasses are effected by electromagnetic interference. Maps are effected by the accuracy listed of the magnetic declination. If you want to get technical.

All this is irrelevant to the app.

If using the ONx chip with the GPS, it works just like any other GPS, and is only as accurate as the last update. However, I think you get more preseason e-scouting opportunity from the ipad/iphone. If you know what layers to use, for whatever you're doing. I find the satellite features to be as equally useful as is forest service maps.

I used On-x for four years, with the upgrade to all states, etc. I find it is an excellent product.
This year in June, I signed on with Base map and had a week to compare.
Trekking into the Tillamook forest, I found it to be just as reliable and useful, and downloading of maps for offline use was easy-peasy, as was On-X.
Both seem to be slow in updating land ownership.
I've noted that with On-X, it shows roads where there aren't any.
With BaseMap, I've wanted to create layers for my own hunting territory, but cannot. I remember doing that with On-X.

IMO, both are excellent products. Basemap is 1/3 the price for multiple states, and I'm a cheap bastige.
What I found with both, starting with Onx, is I really appreciate the property lines. I translate that information to a paper map that I carry with me pulling out and powering the electronics when needed. I prefer a transit compass for direction and orienteering.

OnX is the best value for the money I ever spent on a piece of outdoor/hunting gear. And they listen to customer input and incorporate new features into the app with frequent updates. It's way better now than when I bought it, and it was great back then.
A rep from the company maintains a tutorial thread over on the Rokslide Forums that is great for learning and discussing issues with the outfit themselves.
Rokside OnX Tutorial/Q&A

Rex

Recent Posts