How about this setup for 500+ yards 223

DeepEastKilla

Well, i posted a very similar thread on TheHighRoad forums and im not sure but to me it seemed like they just liked to tell me i had no idea what im talking about trying to shoot 223 at 500 yards and that i dont know what im talking about as far as the scope goes, but anyways here it is.

I have been shooting for a few years now and i really need to upgrade. Right now i have a savage mark ll FSS in 22lr topped off with a cheap $70 Center point optics(crosman) 4-16x40mm scope. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the scope but thats just a different story. I was looking at 223 rifles a year or to ago when i was trying to upgrade but things just didnt pan out. I was and still am thinking that the Tikka t3 lite stainless is one of the best rifles i can get in its price range. Im not positive what scope is best for me but im looking at the Super Sniper scope by SWFA(10x44mm). It has all of the features i want, but it would be nice to have an adjustable magnification. I also have to decide weather it is worth the extra $100 to have the parallax on the side instead of in the back. If anyone has any recommendations on better scopes (under 800 PLEASE!!!!) it would be nice to hear them. I would want mil-dot reticle, adjustable parallax,tactical turrets, and hopefully adjustable power (max above 9X). I think i will want to stick with the tikka t3 stainless lite in 223 tho so please dont make suggestions on moving up to a higher caliber, but if you think there is a better rifle out there for the money, and i wont have to upgrade to get the performance of the tikka than please say something. Someone recommended that i should just setup a benchrest rifle if im looking to shoot 223 at 300+ yards but I will more than likely use the rifle cor coyote and varmint hunting also. I will probably also get a 6-9 swivel bipod for shooting in prone or from a table.

thanks for your ideas and suggestions, Mike

O and as far as The scope I would like at least 100 MOA adjustment for elevation. I will more than likely try shooting even further than 500 at maybe 850+

thanks again!

Get a savage model 12 in 22-250 and put good glass on it, say something like a 4 x 18 x44, you will be good to 500 yds at least, with a good handload.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with the 223 but flyin lizard has a point don't rule out the 22-250, its an awesome caliber. but if you are just going to shoot factory ammo perhaps the 223 would better suit you.
Seriously look at the savage model 12's though. I took out my 12bvss tonight and put eight rounds in a hole smaller than a quarter at 250 yards. But like anyone will tell you, spend the money on the scope! I have a Nikon bushmaster 6-18x40 and it works just fine.
Well good luck shopping!

have you seen the link kansas45 posted? that scope looks amazing. from where i see it now i think that scope and the tikka would be a very hard to beat combo. i need to figure out how to mount a scope with a 50 mm objective and 20 moa shim. i think i will use the rifle for coyotes to so the savage would be really hard to move around with.

You should really look at the falcon menace 4-14x44 ffp mildot I got it on my .308 semi custom rem 700 and it works real nice. Got all the features you want and is just around 400dollars, real good bang for your buck. Btw, I don't think you need 100moa of elevation for 850yards.

You should really look at the falcon menace 4-14x44 ffp mildot I got it on my .308 semi custom rem 700 and it works real nice. Got all the features you want and is just around 400dollars, real good bang for your buck. Btw, I don't think you need 100moa of elevation for 850yards.

yea im not sure but i ran the specs from a federal softpoint 55 grn om the ballistics calculator and i ran out off adjustment arounbd 850. ill re run the specs to see what turns up tho

I'm running the WOtac on a 20 MOA rail and with a 400yd zero I'm setting on 60+MOA of adjustment. You asked how the reticule work, well you can run it in MILL or MOA depending on if your on 9 or 10 power. At 9 each hash is 2MOA and at 10 each hash is .5 MILL. I have found for me that rangeing with the fine hash marks is way easier than the mill dots. I really like it for holding windage, for me it works better than a mill dot scope for that. The SS sniper has a good fallowing also, for coyote hunting I would give the SS variable a go though I could not find how much elevation it had. I fondled a Burris XTR Tac the other day, again, and it can be had for around the 700$ range, I was very, very impressed with the turrets, the reticle and the glass was so crisp it was quit stunning.
I have a couple friend that are rocking the Tikka and they are excellent, I'm shooting the Savage but the only advantage it really might have is you can swap the barrel when you want to have more punch than the 223.

+1 for the Savage. Like your idea, but glass I would suggest the following, Vortex Viper, Nikon Buckmaster series, Nikon Monarch Series, Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 tactical's, Sightron SIII, these all are very good glass for the money.

I have 2 Buckmasters, that work very well. My next investment in glass will be the Vortex or the Sightron SIII.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts