how about christensen

high mtn hunter

I'm thinking about ordering a carbon one custom christensen rifle in a 338 lapua. If anybody can give me pros or cons on iether the gun or the cartridge as a long range elk slayer my ears are open. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

I'm thinking about ordering a carbon one custom christensen rifle in a 338 lapua. If anybody can give me pros or cons on iether the gun or the cartridge as a long range elk slayer my ears are open. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

I've heard of accurate Christensen rifles before so I know they exist. However, I use to work with two guys that owned Christensen 300RUMs. Neither shot well. I took one of them and I tried many load combos and could never get it to shoot under 2". It was a good looking rifle and a pleasure to shoot I'll give it that. The other guy opted to send his back, (long story), they were never able to fix it. He ended up selling it at a lose. I also had a young friend call me and tell me about a 300 RUM Christensen barrel he'd bought and put on a donor 700 action. It shot like hell. To be fair, a Christensen barrel, fitted by a different smith, on a action not provided by Christensen and who knows who's fault it is. I'm sure there's alot of great shooting Christensens out there but I sure hear alot of guys grumbling about them.

I'm pretty sure Fiftydriver has no love for them.

If having a light weight rifle is of much more concern to you than having a rifle that will hit what you are aiming at, get a Christensen. They are well known for making very light rifles BUT they are not well known for making very accurate rifles.

I had one built and have had it a month or so. It is a .270 Winchester. I hear about accuracy problems, but I am very fortunate.
This one shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards with factory Hornady Superformance ammo.
Yes I wanted a very night rifle, I use it for hunting int he mountains and carrying a 9-10 LB rifle gets old.
I am sure there are good ones and bad ones, but, don't believe for a minute they are all bad. They build a very nice rifle.

If cost is not a big factor you have chosen the perfect calibre, especially for extreme ranges. You might want to explore high twist rate and longer barrel.

thanks for the input guys. tho the lite rifle would be great for chasing elk thru the mountains, i want one thats capable of thousand yd kills. i might reconsider the gun builder. i was thinking maybe a 28" barrel. what twist do you recomend, 1 in 10 or so?

FYI my hunt partner bought one of the Christensen "demo" rifles displayed at the 2011 SHOT show. Built on a Remington 700 titanium action it's chambered in 300RCM and he shoots nothing but Hornady factory ammo (165gr GMX).

Having said that, it's incredibly accurate. We have shot it out to 480 yards on targets and he took his whitetail at 308 yards last year. Every shot goes where he aims it. Dial in the scope, pull the trigger, and it's there. 200 yard groups are about an inch.

My only thought on it is that it's so light that the littlest twitch or heartbeat can be seen in the scope as you aim. However, it doesn't bother him.

thanks for the input guys. tho the lite rifle would be great for chasing elk thru the mountains, i want one thats capable of thousand yd kills. i might reconsider the gun builder. i was thinking maybe a 28" barrel. what twist do you recomend, 1 in 10 or so?

Dont let the comments of a few around here keep you from buying a Cristianson Arms rifle. they are plenty accurate for shooting elk.
I know several people that have them and they all love them.

Most shots are going to be MUCH closer than 1000 yards.

Michael Eichele on this site has a 28'' 338 edge ABS, custom for sale, also a 300 rum , switch barrel comes with package. I t is a nice outfit. There is also a Defensive EDge 338 rum 8 3/4 #,s. Test target is basically one hole, DE has a good reputation , rifle is in classifies here. I mainly like elk hunting and my 1000+ pack gun 8-12 oz. dressed, is a 338 norma 26''

I would pick another builder if I were you. I bought a Carbon One in 300 RUM and it never would shoot under an 1" at 100. The fit and finish was not good for a gun that cost that much money. I sold the gun at a huge loss and am having one built by someone on this site. The target they provided with the gun was sad to say the least. It was no where near the 1/2" they claim the gun will shoot. It was a horrible experience.

If you are looking for a 28" barrel, you need to know they charge $100 an inch for anything over 26". I live in Utah and I will never buy another one of their products. There are better ways to spend your money.

I would pick another builder if I were you. I bought a Carbon One in 300 RUM and it never would shoot under an 1" at 100. The fit and finish was not good for a gun that cost that much money. I sold the gun at a huge loss and am having one built by someone on this site. The target they provided with the gun was sad to say the least. It was no where near the 1/2" they claim the gun will shoot. It was a horrible experience.

If you are looking for a 28" barrel, you need to know they charge $100 an inch for anything over 26". I live in Utah and I will never buy another one of their products. There are better ways to spend your money.

Well there you have it! Pick one of the very capable smiths on this site and let them walk you through a build.

I have Christensen Hunter with the Tan Bell Caralson Medalist stock they put on it, and had the dual ejector and Sako extractor put on by Christensen.
She is a shooter 338 Win.......I put Warne steel Bases and Warne QR low rings with a 3.5x10 Leupold Boone/Crokett Matte Scope on it. Mine came with the Muzzle Brake but quickly put the thread cover back on to hunt with after rezeroing. I would save the money and suggest the Hunter instead.......mine has a Rem trigger I would like to go to the Jewel or Timney Trigger.......but other than that I am shooting MOA at 200 yards off Harris Bipods.gun)

338 Win

Reloader 19 @ 78.0
225 Nosler Accubond
Fed 215GM Primer
WW Cases
2943 FPS

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.