Houston, Texas

HRstretch

American Shooting Ctr.
Address: 16500 Westheimer Pkwy, Houston, TX 77082
Phone: (281) 556-8086
100,200,300,400 and 600 yard rifle range. Pistol,trap,skeet and sporting clays.

In my opinion the staff need a lesson on customer service, they can be snobby at times, but the range and facilities are good. They do not have patience with new people coming in asking simple information questions. They have less patience with new people to the shooting world.

http://amshootcenters.com/

James is about the only guy who seems to care. One day I called them to make sure they were open. Drove from Conroe and about 30 min into my shooting session the range officer said he needed to change the backer boards on the three hundred range, said it would take him till dark! Fortunately I spoke with James and they gave me alittle more time to finish my session. Granted I was the only person on the range but I would not have driven all the way across houston to go shoot at 100yds. Excellent facility but I always call to make sure they are open. Some days they require a certification card to shoot at 300+ ranges so be prepared. When I did mine in 2000 they required five for five shots in the white bull of a 300 yd target. Just depends on their mood and no steel. clay or intermediate target backers. If you want to shoot 100yds go back to the 100 yd range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lance

LWolken,
Terrible management excepting James.I really like him,but his hands are tied by the guys that set policy.I feel bad that James has to put up with the decisions that come from upstairs.
I bought my Beretta O/U from American because of James and his excellent help.
Jim

Jimmy,

Several years ago I spoke with him concerning the ownership of the gun range. I believe he said it was owned by the county? or City? but had several managers who made the decisions concerning policies and daily operations. I was wondering if they could be shut down by pressure from all the development in the area like the range which once operated at 249 and beltway 8. Anyway until then it is a great facility to shoot at. Matbe I'll see you at the range some day.

Lance

the corpus christi gun club is going to be shut down because of a new housing developement the only other range in town is only a 100 yrd range got to drive 85 miles to the ranch to shoot now

Well, I am glad that I was not misinterpreting the place as far as the people. I have never been asked to qualify on the three hunderd. I will be moving to shooting the three hundred and four hundred yard ranges next. Once I start consistantly hitting on the four I plan to move on up to the six. Are they going to make me qualify to move up the yardage? How do you get the practice to shoot that yardage if not at a range?

I don't know anything about the management, never stayed around long enough to talk to them. I usually went in to pay the range fee, buy targets, and was out the door to get down to buisness.

I believe the policy is that you must qualify @300yd target then you may shoot at 400-600yd target. At least that's the way it was explained to me 4 1/2 years ago.

Once you've qualified, there shouldn't be a problem with shooting at any of the targets on the range.
It's my understanding that the only reason for the qualification policy is just to make sure that some clown doesn't go out there and start shooting over the berm. Although, as many times as i've been out there on the 600yd range, i've never had anyone question whether or not i had been certified.

the corpus christi gun club is going to be shut down because of a new housing developement the only other range in town is only a 100 yrd range got to drive 85 miles to the ranch to shoot now

There is Swinkies in Aransas Pass and he'll let you back it up to 200yds. Very nice operation nothing fancy but gets it done.
Ben

500 yd range?

I wasn't aware they had a 500yd range? They have a 300, 400, 600yd range. Did they close down the 600yd range at ASC? When?

Lance

I shot at American about four years ago. Shot every weekend. At that time, you qualified at 300 yds. You were required to place 5 shots into the 5" Bullseye. You were supposed to have a rangemaster present to attest the target and if successful, you received a hand written card from the management stating that you were OK to use the 300-600 yd. ranges. I have forgotten the policy, if you were not successful on the first try.
I didn't have any trouble when I qualified, but if the wind is really blowing it could be tricky.
I don't know how you would practice, I guess it would depend on who is running the show at this time at American. Their policies seem to change quite often.
Good luck!
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts