Houston I have a problem (22-250)

texasgunner

Ok you pros out there. Let me set this up. New brass was fire formed, then neck sized. Loaded with 3 diffenrent loads (3 differenet bullets & diff. powder)
Some rounds of all three loads would chamber but could not close the bolt to lock. Others would work fine. Let me say what it is not. The bullets were not seated too far out & into the lands. The rounds that would not chamber were taken home, bullets seated deeper, and still would not chamber. I have noticed some bright markings on the shoulders, it is on all the brass but more noticeable on some. I think the shoulders need bumped back a little, but what do you think. Gun is Sav Mod. 12 in 22 250.

check trim length. I check length of every single piece of brass after sizing. 100% inspection, no less.

I've had to trim plenty of 22-250 brass after firing factory ammo.

Also look at the ones that went in almost all the way. Where is the scrape mark? At the case head, or the shoulder, or what? If its scraping at the case head, then full length resize.

Thanks for the responce R-loft, I will check the necks, but I dont think that was the problem, the marks I saw were on the shoulder. Is this rather common with neck sized cases ? On some of the cases that did not chamber my bolt just would not rotate to lock.

I load a couple Savage 12 22-250 and they seem to run on the min side of specs, I have to keep them on the lower end of COAL, trim length and have to get a full resizing but it sounds like maybe some of your brass may have just enough spring back to stiffen up your bolt, just need a smidge more bump.

When doing load work I normally clean up the cases completely then before I move from my press, I will set each unfired/unprimed case in the action and close the bolt. If it is difficult or impossible as you mention, I will take it out and use a bump die from Redding and set the shoulder down about .001".

Take it out and try to rechamber. You should be good to go.

Once your load development has calmed and you have sized that brass this normally doesn't happen again unless something gets out of sorts, e.g., down in South Texas and leaving your rifle and ammo in the truck. It gets VERY hot and can respond somewhat different.

Again this is assuming you have weighed and culled your brass.

A suggestion:

If it were me, I'd take a deprimed fired neck sized case, check trim length, trim if necessary. If the length is OK, try it in the chamber. If it fits, your done.

If it won't fit (more likely), put the FL sizing die in the press but set it up with a .025" feeler gage between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder with the press at the top of it's stroke.

Lube the case and size it. Try it in the chamber. If it doesn't go, reset the die with a .020" feeler gage. Try it in the chamber. Repeat with thinner feeler gages till it just fits. Tighten the set screw in the lock ring, or what ever locks the ring to the die.

Use that die setting and full length resize the brass. It will always fit and you will be bumping the shoulders as little as possible to have it fit.

This is how I size my hunting ammo for all my hunting rifles including my Savage Model 12 .22-250. I've not had good experiences with neck sizing only in factory chambers.

Trust me on this, I hate it when a round won't load in the field and the second ground hog gets away. Bad words don't help either. :D

Fitch

Headspace is too tight and/or case length too long.

Solution: body size your cases and trim cases to min trim length.(and neck size) -watch pressure signs / velocities

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.