houge overmold stocks?

Montanasloth

I'm wondering what your opinion on the usefulness of a Hogue stock would be on a Ruger M77 Mark II in 270. This rifle is my main hunting rifle at the moment and I don't really want to ruin the wood stock by taking a fall or anything along those lines. The rifle isn't going to be used for shots over 500 yards. I have shot one before on a Remington 700 sps tactical and I liked it but I'm hoping I can find more than one experience good, bad, or ugly. Thanks guys.

They're supposed to be though and I like the way they feel, but they're too long for me and I'm not sure if they can be cut down. No idea how they rate in terms of stiffness and fit to the rifle.

I'm wondering what your opinion on the usefulness of a Hogue stock would be on a Ruger M77 Mark II in 270. This rifle is my main hunting rifle at the moment and I don't really want to ruin the wood stock by taking a fall or anything along those lines. The rifle isn't going to be used for shots over 500 yards. I have shot one before on a Remington 700 sps tactical and I liked it but I'm hoping I can find more than one experience good, bad, or ugly. Thanks guys.

I personally do not like them. The gummy stock collects dust and even with a full aluminum bedding block they still flex on the sides and towards the front. My buddy and I had sps tacticals in 308. Mine was bedded with a jewel trigger in a BC M40 stock. My buddy's was factory with the hogue stock. My sps tactical was grouping .25 three shot groups at 100 yards with hand loads. My buddy's rifle was grouping right around 6 inches with every type of load under the sun. We were at the same range, same day, same conditions, from the same bench. We shot off of bipods and a front rest. He had a little bit better edge on me since he had some 1800 dollar Leupold tactical scope with night force rings and base while I had a Nikon monarch 5x20x44mm. I blame the stock...

If in any chance this helps with clarifying my question or maybe adding a little more to my thought process, I would get the one with a full bedding block, not the pillar bedded version. Seems like that would help with some of the "flex" issues I have heard about.

The sps tactical I shot had the factory stock on it and we where shooting it off of just a cooler for support and I was pegging golf balls at 75-125 yards no problem using hornady superformace ammo. I didn't notice any flex but I also wasn't really looking for it either.

My 243 shot very well in the original factory wood stock, but I swapped it to a Hogue youth stock for my girls. I bedded the recoil lug, and it shoots just as well as it ever did before. We like the stock, and I bought another one for a 30-06 project I had, and did the same. No problems with that one either.

I like the way they feel and how it lines up. I like the idea of how tough they are supposed to be and weather resistant. Just don't want to commit and absolutely hate it, which is a risk no matter what but I feel like doing my due diligence in research could help curb that.

I have 2 FN TSR's 223& 308 both with Hogue stocks. Both shoot bug holes all day long. It did take a little time for me to get use them though.

I have a Hogue overmold stock on an older Thomson Center 30-06 that will shoot under MOA all day. It absorbs the occasional bump from climbing in rough terrain and does not seem to be affected by wet and cold weather. It suits the purpose of this rifle well. I have other rifles for more precise shooting but this one does pretty well for general all purpose hunting. I like the stock!

I too like the feel of it; they are tough and made for Montana's adverse weather conditions ... go for it!

ADDED:

Thus far, one credits the stock in question for 1/4 MOA and the another blames 6 MOA @ 100 yards - two extreme cases. I suppose it can happen but I "personally" have not seen a stock alone causing such a inaccuracy.

Last edited:
I have one on my Vanguard 300WBY weighted down with shot in the forend which has a big enough channel to accept a truck axle,makes the skinny factory barrel look a little out of place, but it does make it possible to shoot close to 1/4 moa.

I like the shape of the grip, and the sound dampening quality of the overmold.

Cliff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.