You have been fine Steve.

I will admit the 4K Black does interest me a lot. I have a Monarch 1200 and a Leica 2000B The glass on the Leica is great! The Nikon not so much, Its really not the best in low light areas. I do like the pointer in the Nikon better. Obviously the Leica ranges farther.

What interest me about the 4k is the fact they claim 1500 on deer. If that is true, it would be better then any 450 dollar and cheaper rangefinder on the market. Also if what they claim it true it would be nice low dollar RF for target shooters that like to shoot 2000 plus yards on steel. As long as it highly reflective.
But what conditions have to be met for it to Range the distances they claim? Only one way to find out. And that's to buy one and see how well it truly works.

My Leica will range a license plate @2018 yards MAX. Or a small 5"x16" road sign at the same distance. For some reason 2018 is the farthest I can get it to go. My brothers 1600 will do around 2000 yards.

I checked out the Nikon 3K Stabalized, the 4K, the Kilo 2200 the Leica 1600, and the new 2700 today. The stabalized thing is pretty cool, however the glass on the Nikons is not very clear to my eyes. I also found them a little harder to get the eye relief right The sig was nice and fast on its readings glass was better than the nikons by a ways. The 2700B however is ridiculously clear glass and is super fast. It is every bit as fast on its readings as the sig. As for rangings I was in the Cabela's so yeah 71 yards is all I got.

I have a Nikon 4K that arrived last week. I also have a Sig2200. The 4K I have arranged a 36" x 48" plate at 1 mile where as the sig. 2200 will only range up to about 1300 yards. What I don't like about the 4K is that it powers off fairly quickly and has to re-boot for the next target overall I like the 4K better.

I have a Nikon 4K that arrived last week. I also have a Sig2200. The 4K I have arranged a 36" x 48" plate at 1 mile where as the sig. 2200 will only range up to about 1300 yards. What I don't like about the 4K is that it powers off fairly quickly and has to re-boot for the next target overall I like the 4K better.

How is the glass on your nikon 4K compared to the 2200? In the store yesterday the 4K was not very clear. Just curious if it is better in the daylight?

I wasn't really paying attention to clarity as I was only interested to see if it would reach the mile target. The 4K was clear enough for me to see the target and I didn't notice any issue with clarity.

The newest Leica HDB 10x40 binoculars are (IMHO) the very best hunting rangefinder optics available, offering many more features than its competitors and the highest quality optics. All you need is yer cell phone with a stick-on wind meter for the very best firing solution.

Perhaps this video will give you some extra info?

Thanks! Most of us can't afford to do a lot of trials. The old "buy 'em and try 'em" only works up to a point. The refugee from Housewares and Appliances who has a job holding up the counter at our local sporting goods store doesn't know much except what he's been told by one or two sales reps who are pimping their products.
I've had several electronic rangefinders and a half dozen military coincidence units, and a hatful of photographic types. I've used the survey stuff .. total global stations, theodolites, transits, "The Gun." And the satellite GPS stuff. What I'm looking for at present is the A-40 Nife. Not the A-40-P periscope, although that is a very good one. I have some of the 80-100 cm horizontal units. I'm looking for a shorter horizontal coincidence rangefinders. I have one of the Russian Tank Commander rangefinders, and they are good. Any high quality coincidence unit with 30 to 60 cm of ocular separation and ranging out to a couple thousand yards would be nice. Jerry
Oh, yeah ... I have a Swarovski unit without the image stabilization. What you say about beam divergence is good. And yes, I'd like to try the stabilized version. If I can find a target close to my actual target's distance, that works too. I may not be able to range on the butt of the bull, but I can range on the barn he just walked out of and that'll do!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.