Horus Vision

GBTx01

I am in the market for a new scope for my heavy barrel .260 I have been doing a lot of research on the type of scope that I want. I have it narrowed down to two. a leupold with Gen II mil-dot or the Horus Vision scope with H1 reticle. THere is no doubting the quality of the Leupold. I have used th HV demo and I really like the reticle and how simple it is to use. My question is...is the HV reticle as easy to use in real life applications and how durable of a scope is it. My first scope was a Springfield Armory and I hope never to repeat that mistake. Any input from those who have used this scope is greatly aprreciated. Thanks.

I have the Horus and have shot it a lot in the field, but only on rocks and steel plates to date. The reticle works, gives you aiming holdoffs for about any caliber, range and wind condition - tied in with a neat computer program etc. If a person worked somewhat hard at it this system would be doable in the hunting field - takes learning and practice. You won't get onto any rangefinding system without a bunch of practice and more practice.
Fact is a 1200 Leica will tell you in about five seconds how far away most shots will be unless you really want to stretch things, no boogering around with dots, lines formulas or sliderules.
How good the scope will hold up is to be seen - this is a relatively new product vs the proven reliability of Leupold's scope that you are considering. You pays your money and takes your chances - I know that most guys on this board will say go Leupold and don't look back.
Just to complicate your life I would also look at the newly introduced and available Nikon tactical, and maybe for a few more bucks the NXS 3.5-15x50, believe both may be available from www.swfa.com
Good luck.

I already have a laser range finder. But some of the competitions that I want to shoot have multiple targets at unknown ranges and you can't use a laser range finder. Since I have not beenschooled on the Mil-dot system I don't have old habits that I would need to change if I went with Horus. I really like the Horus feature of not having to worry about counting clicks and remebering to return to zero after each distance shot. It seems like the horus system is much faster at engaging multiple targets at multiple ranges, both known and unknown.

I am curious as to what problems you had with the Springfield scope- I have one in 6-20x56 Mildot. I fell on mine with all of my 185Lbs and broke through the ice on the stream I was crossing during hunting season and it still shoots good and repeats absolutely perfect! Your insite would be of great value as what not to do to this scope.
I have always been a little rough on equipment-alright real hard on equipment!

H-Bar,
I have a 4-14x 3rd Gen 56mm Scope. I really liked the scope, great light gathering, good ranging system, the drop compensator works for 168 SMK in 100s of meters and 180 SMK in 100s of yards out to 1000yds +/- 4 clicks. However with that said it just doesn't take the pounding that a Leupold scope will. The magnification ring locked up on me at 4X and failed to focus. I took it off the rings and there was an 1/4 inch long screw resting against the glass. The problem is that I didn't have a scope for my rifle when I went out groundhog hunting and had to borrow someone else's It couldn't handle the beating of 300 rounds of 308. I guess it is a great scope for a mild recoil rifle only shot a couple of shots a year. I am not impressed with their durablity. I have learned the hard way that it is far better to wait and save another 100-200$ and get a durable scope than to have a cheaper one that isn't dependable.
There are a number of other people that I have talked with who have had Mechanical failurs with their SA scopes.

H-BAR, I noticed you are from from Newburgh. I'm from Wariwck. Where do you shoot?

I used to shoot in Goshen but they closed. There is a 300 yard range in NJ but nothing farther.

The Horus is good scope indeed.
The ranging system is tops, especially when coupled with the software thast comes with the scope, and even more so when you get the PDA so you get range, punch a couple keys and get your hold over / hold off in seconds.
The clairity and brightness is that of an NXS in all conditions. The click adjustments are precise and accurate.
So far the ruggedness has been great as well. My business partner is an LEO Sniper and has one on his rifle. He is VERY hard on his weapon systems and has had zero problems.

The last Sniper's challenge in 2002 had very harsh conditions, and was a very hard course. The top gun and two top teams all used Horus scopes.

All & All a very good scope and reticle system for shooting those LR Tac comps.

Celt

Celt,

Would you be the same Celt for SH...??

If ya are welcome..!! you'll fit in great here and I know you bring a wealth of knowledge...

That would be me
smile.gif

thanks for the welcome!

Celt

So, how's the horus vision scope. Did it perform as well as stated or did you get the leupold? Just wondering, as I am looking at getting one, the Raptor.

I have 3 8.5-26-50mm Predator scopes. 2 on 22-250's and the other over a 6mm Rem. they are excelent scopes for predator hunting, the reticle in them is in true moa with 1/8" cliks. hold over on targets to 800 yards is no problem and i have shot groups to 1000 yds with the 6mm.
I also have 2 of the 4-16-50mm falcon's. (last Years model), 1 on a Rem 700 300 Win mag, The other on a custom 700 .338 Edge built by Shawn Carlock. I have had great success with these scopes. had to replace bases on the edge as the original leupold bases would not handlethe recoil from the EDGE. now have steel Weaver style bases on it with Burris Signature insert rings. no problems now. I have just pulled the 4-16-50 from the Edge and replaced it with the new 5-20-50mm Falcon from Horus. have not had opportunity to shoot past 200 yds since the new scope mounting.
THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WITH ANY HORUS SCOPE IS WHEN MOUNTING ALL HAWK AND FALCON MODELS (I HAVE SOLD 6 HAWKS, & 2 FALCON'S BESIDES THE 3 I HAVE) WHEN LEVELING CROSSHAIRS TO A RIFLES ACTION THE RETICLES WILL NOT ALIGN USING CALDWELL'S LEVEL,LEVEL, LEVEL'S. THESE SCOPES HAVE BEEN MOUNTED ON CHRISTENSEN ARMS 300 RUM'S, BROWNING A-BOLT ACTIONS. WINCHESTER M-70'S 300 WIN MAG, 1HAWK ON WEATHERBY MARK 300 WTHRBY MAG, AND REM 700'S IN 300 WIN MAG. TO GET CROSSHAIRS LEVEL TO ACTION A PLUMB BOB SET ABOUT 25/40 YARDS FOR CRADLE HOLDING RIFLE IS WHAT WORK'S FOR ME. I MAKE SURE THE VERTICAL CROSSHAIR IS ON THE VERTICAL PLUMB BOB LINE. DOIN THIS I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.
A LEVEL LEVEL JOB WILL HAVE CROSSHAIRS CANTED OFF TO THE LEFT FORM .5 TO A FULL BUBBLE OFF. CLIK ADJUSTMENT HAVE WORKED CORRECTLY AND TRACK ACCURATLY ANY ADJUSTMENTS TO THE SCOPES.I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH ELEVATION OR WINDAGE ADJUSTMENTS, FOCUS, OR POWER RING AND /OR PARRELLAX ADJUSTMENTS ON ANY HORUS SCOPE THE I HAVE MOUNTED AND SOLD TO CUSTOMERS OR MOUNTED FOR MY OWN USE.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A LONG RANGE SCOPE I BELIEVE A HORUS WILL BE AS GOOD A VALUE AND AS GOOD AS QUALITY AS THERE IS AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET TODAY.
YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICE, SPEND YOUR MONEY AND LIVE WITH THE RESULTS. ..

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the info on the HV. I saw these scopes at the Shot Show and thought they were a really unique reticle design that seemed to work.

I have a Horus Vision Predator on a Savage Model 12 .204. I popped a prarire dog at 580 yards with my chart and the reticle. I am by no means an accomplished rifle shooter. Works great for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.