Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

A friends experience roping a badger comes to mind. :D and those darn coyotes need to run a straight line.:rolleyes:

Jeff
We tend to rope everything, one guy tried to rope an farmed ostrich here... bad decision I guess..put him in the hospital.They can kick . This is a good thread, nice to keep it going. Cheers everybody.

Years ago Boog Morrison roped a bobcat. Yanked the slack and the critter made used up the entire rope making loops up and over, down and around every which way on his horse.

Eye witnesses were laughing years later. I heard the story in the bunk house during a round up with rats running over me in the night. Cowboy life didn't seem that romantic at least that night.

Most of us started roping chickens, have had several cows that after being roped in the pasture would stop ,allow you to take off your loop and then do it all over again, over and over..fun for a ranch kid.Don't know anyone who has rope a Grizzly ,but a black bear roped by the neck, it usually kills him.Our pioneer ancestors would sometimes rope a Grizzly .The story is ,if you tie on the bear can reel you in.So If a guy needs to rope the Great bear,... dally rope.ha

I roped a bobcat in Wyoming some years back. Everyone told me that I was lucky the cat didn't get on the horse with me. I had a dog with me and once the cat was roped the dog got after him and kept his attention. I was about 50 yds from a fence where I took a wrap around a post and choked him. I had a hard time keeping the rope on the cat. Finally got one front leg and his head and managed to get it tightened up and it stayed.

Check out this link to a youtube video about roping a deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I roped an emu several years ago that would follow me around while I filled corn feeders. I had the rope dallied on my wrist so when the emu ran it pulled me down and dragged me about 50 feet. It seemed forever before I got loose.

I worked at a ranch when the Ostrich fad was in full swing here, and learned just how dangerous they could be, they kicked quite hard -would split a plank.One guy roped one of these birds and put him in the hospital.They could sure reach to peck too, glad the fad is done and gone.cheers

That is one of the most colorful descriptions of how one may see a horse I've ever had the pleasure of reading! "Maybe he is just a big dumb creature that doesn't understand what I have been saying. Maybe he really doesn't give a **** about trying to coexist or pleasing me." The way he wrote about what one's experiences could be with a horse on the trail had me crying and giggling like a fool in the office today. I thoroughly enjoyed the article and am sad to see Mr McMurphy is no longer with us.
I've never had the experience of riding an outfitter's horse, but can completely understand everything he described in this article. I prefer mustangs and burros for trail riding and believe they are better equipped for this purpose. They have a greater ability to think independently of the rider - keeping both safe on the trail, better feet = I never shoe mine, and in my experience - are much quieter. The only thing better than a mustang on the trail is probably a mule, but they're much harder to train and impossible to force into doing something they're against.

Haven't posted here in a while.I worked for guide outfitters around here and they are all horse outfits,I saw the difficulties many hunters had while horseback.Horse riding takes some athletic ability and if a hunter showed up obviously unfit it made our job doubly hard.I wouldn't tell the hunter but the #1priority was always the stock,these great creatures are not a machine and deserve respect.So if a unfit,hunter showed up we walked alot with the ponies in tow and if a really fit and keen guy showed up we would ride more...kinda backwards but that is how I worked it.I am a guy that rides year around as is rooted in our culture.My message get as fit as you can! Cheers.

I worked at a ranch when the Ostrich fad was in full swing here, and learned just how dangerous they could be, they kicked quite hard -would split a plank.One guy roped one of these birds and put him in the hospital.They could sure reach to peck too, glad the fad is done and gone.cheers
My sister and her husband raised those demon birds, had two "ranches" of them.

On one occasion, one tom nearly killed her husband. After the bird kicked him to the curb a few times, he was able to roll under the fence and escape with broken ribs and a few other injuries.

When they approached me with the idea of investing with them, I declined and informed them I was sticking with raising cattle. I certainly didn't want anything to do with exotic and dangerous birds.

The bottom fell out of the ostrich business shortly after they invested heavily. :rolleyes:

My sister and her husband raised those demon birds, had two "ranches" of them.

On one occasion, one tom nearly killed her husband. After the bird kicked him to the curb a few times, he was able to roll under the fence and escape with broken ribs and a few other injuries.

When they approached me with the idea of investing with them, I declined and informed them I was sticking with raising cattle. I certainly didn't want anything to do with exotic and dangerous birds.

The bottom fell out of the ostrich business shortly after they invested heavily. :rolleyes:
The place I worked had a brooder setup for these eggs and they were selling for piles of money.I did not care for these birds preferring the wilder longhorn . At least a guy can rope them.

The place I worked had a brooder setup for these eggs and they were selling for piles of money.I did not care for these birds preferring the wilder longhorn . At least a guy can rope them.
:D Yeah, cattle are a whole lot better.

Longhorns here in Iowa would be rare. We have lots of horses but not working horses, just hayburners.

I was born and lived in Texas. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.