Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

That is kind of funny PorkChop! sorry, i know it was a tough ordeal for you.

most of the time, the pain in he hips and groin is from stretching more than you're used to. but sometimes, it's because you're trying to put a death grip on the saddle with your knees because you aren't relaxed enough in the saddle.

something that could be a major contributing factor in your discomfort is probably stirrup length.

i have a horse ranch. i have been fiddling with them for decades!

Yeah don't give up, Pork chop..Punisher is correct, and after awhile the more you ride the better you feel.For me anyways if I'm sore, I'll go roping or riding pasture and when I get back..feel pretty good.You can get to that point too.Cheers

I've gone full circle on horses several times, having been around them for a few decades. Right now, I would avoid them. They are just too expensive - like a boat in a lot of ways. If you can use them a lot then go for it. But don't think that -buying- a horse will magically open up your schedule.

They can be costly, but some of us use them year around.They are our culture really.We use them in rodeo,gymkana,summer pack trips and fencing.Helping at a branding etc.... they are a lot of work though.I guess you chose how and what to do with your time.

The "need" "amount of use" and "cost" will vary dependent of each persons individual location, work, and way of life. No, they are not "cheap", but the cost for me to own them is less than someone that lives in a city and has to pay to board them. But the cost to me is like owning any tool. If I intend to do the work I love, then they are a necessity. I do not own an ATV, nor could I go where my horse takes me on an ATV, and I have no desire to anyway. Different strokes, and priorities.

Jeff

DSCF0943_zps53242505.jpg

IMG_20141008_113308532_HDR_zps993d4a56.jpg

DSCF0889_zps0944c5da.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, I certainly hear where you are coming from and envy your way of and where of living . I have the acres to keep horses , the trick is making it out west every year to take advantage of the riding I have done all year.
Mike

Hey Broz what saddles do you recommend. My gear is cheap and generic and i am looking for something more comfortable for longer trail rides. I want something stable, durable, and comfortable.

Hey Broz what saddles do you recommend. My gear is cheap and generic and i am looking for something more comfortable for longer trail rides. I want something stable, durable, and comfortable.

Mine is built locally by Three Forks Saddlery" I took the horse there to trial fit it. It's a very heavy roping saddle with full double rigging. Not what you want for just a trail or pleasure saddle. It takes a while to break in a saddle like it. But if I were you I would look into a "Circle Y" "Park and Trail" saddle with a padded seat. They ride very well. But above that make sure you get one that fits your horse well. I hate what some cheap saddles do to a horse.

Jeff

Porkchop, I fully understand. Like I said need and use will vary among riders. For some the "need" to own a horse is simply not there. Others simply can not imagine not owning one.

Jef

Mine is built locally by Three Forks Saddlery" I took the horse there to trial fit it. It's a very heavy roping saddle with full double rigging. Not what you want for just a trail or pleasure saddle. It takes a while to break in a saddle like it. But if I were you I would look into a "Circle Y" "Park and Trail" saddle with a padded seat. They ride very well. But above that make sure you get one that fits your horse well. I hate what some cheap saddles do to a horse.

Jeff

Just chime'n in here.

Horses and me don't get along real well. I was made to screw up a good horse. I seem to be able to turn a baby sitter into a rank bronco after 20 minutes into the ride.

As far as saddles go I to wanted something comfortable for me and the equine, in this case a mammoth jack. Pretty sweet ride. Decently fast on the trail but don't intent to make any kind of schedule. you get there when you get there.

I made my own saddle. An "A" fork Butch Cassidy tree and with a half seat with a high cantle.

It's a replica of a circa 1860 saddle. The saddle maker calls it a depression saddle as it takes a lot less leather than one like Broz has.:roll eyes: I can still rope a bull with it....if I could rope a bull... and if the donk were quick enough to move.....:rolleyes:

Pretty darn sweet to ride and just so happens to fit ol' Jethro just fine with a little extra pad in the rear.

Fairly light also. 43 pounds with breast strap and britch'n. Great for steep up an down spots.

The tree is about half the cost of the raw materials. Took me 3 weeks to build under the guidance of a pro. BTW I can't sew straight worth a toot....

When ya get a saddle don't go cheap.

I use a billy royal work saddle. Mine is custom, but a roughout can be had new for $1100.

And I do rope Bulls off of mine!

I agree, never know when a guy needs to rope something.I like a low backed, slick fork saddle myself.A cheap saddle is usually a mistake.

I have went through many over the years. The ranch roping saddle I have now is the saddle I ride all the time. Other than being heavy it is easy on ole Gus and stays put. It will hold way more that I will ever rope, but if I ever do dally on to more than I should I don't want to hear things cracking or popping. It is still relatively new, but seems to fit better with every ride. The roughout is finally smoothing a bit and it talks to me less these days, or maybe I just got use to the new saddle squeaking. A few more rain storms will probably help.

But if I were to buy one for strictly trail, it would be light and comfortable with a padded seat like a Circle Y parks and trail.

Jeff

IMG_20140504_101059197_zpseb6a024a.jpg

IMG_20140504_100855487_HDR_zps5bccfe1f.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.