Horse rifle scabbard

revturbo9967

Good morning
I've been on here lurking readin information for a while now and figured I would join because I have some questions to ask. I just finished my long range rifle build,( not really a build but you get to idea ) and I'm trying to figure out what's the best scabbard for one of these larger rifles that will be used on a horse . I'm running a vortex gen 2 razor 4.5-27 ontop of a weatherby mark v .338 lapua with a bell and Carlson stock. This isn't the smallest set up and I'm worried about finding a scabbard that can be used with it. Do you guys have any suggestions ?

Oh one more FYI... As mentioned my QMM 338 lapua is long. I put the rifle in the scabbard then take out two layers of foam out of my Pelican case.
the whole thing fits perfectly and very secure. that way no hassle getting the scabbard transported when I head west on the plane for my hunts.

My rifle isn't too long, barrel is 28 inches with brake installed which may be off the gun when I hunt. My scope is monsterous and my adjustable stock takes up room. I'll defenatly look into this scabbard . The price is right too!

LOL one more thing. I have a big Nightforce on my rifle so I also get a Scope Coat that is snug to the scope.
That way when you slide it into the scabbard it not only slides in easier but it does not touch your turrets. I was on a hunt that a guy was pulling out his rifle in and out of the scabbard only to find that that was causing the turrets to move and he was totally out of adjustment when he made a shot.

LOL one more thing. I have a big Nightforce on my rifle so I also get a Scope Coat that is snug to the scope.
That way when you slide it into the scabbard it not only slides in easier but it does not touch your turrets. I was on a hunt that a guy was pulling out his rifle in and out of the scabbard only to find that that was causing the turrets to move and he was totally out of adjustment when he made a shot.

I always check my dope no matter what. My turrets have a great locking mechanism so hopfully I won't have to worry about that. Deffinetly getting a scope coat

This is my set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 48
I have a trail max that my cousin gave me. It works okay. I prefer a hard case on the pack horse and another rifle with 40mm scope in a saddle scabbard that is easy to jerk out for close range work!
My cousin typically brings one rifle in his trail max and has lots of miles on it. I do not like all of that bulk under my knee and can't stand a verticle scabbard which is the best way to carry a big bulky scabbard with a heavy rifle in it. A horizontal scabbard is easy to grab the butt stock turn it down and jerk iron in milliseconds!
A great friend has a leather scabbard with a 27 inch barrel and 50mm NF scope. He gets along fine but has broken 3 rifle stocks on trees! He carries verticle.
All my saddles have a pack saw underneath an Eastwing axe on the passenger side to offset the weight of the shooting iron.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 53
I have a trail max that my cousin gave me. It works okay. I prefer a hard case on the pack horse and another rifle with 40mm scope in a saddle scabbard that is easy to jerk out for close range work!
My cousin typically brings one rifle in his trail max and has lots of miles on it. I do not like all of that bulk under my knee and can't stand a verticle scabbard which is the best way to carry a big bulky scabbard with a heavy rifle in it. A horizontal scabbard is easy to grab the butt stock turn it down and jerk iron in milliseconds!
A great friend has a leather scabbard with a 27 inch barrel and 50mm NF scope. He gets along fine but has broken 3 rifle stocks on trees! He carries verticle.
All my saddles have a pack saw underneath an Eastwing axe on the passenger side to offset the weight of the shooting iron.
Nice horse. I got lazy and fighting get of mountain before dark.Was walking by horse and not using stick to hold horns away from horse at rear,horse blew up and had to wrap him up in tree,then regroup.Then not much later I went threw thick spot in trail and ran my head threw yellow jacket nest,one those great days.I was rear carry my rifle when younger and no 340 when I get to truck ,riding right before dark back to look,sling caught and it was hanging on forest service gate,would been nice find for someone:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.