Hornady xtp v presicion rifle extreme elite

Rilow

Ive changed over to BH 209 and working on some loads . Gettin decent groups with both the Hornady xtp 240 grn and Precision Rifle 240grn extreme elite with 95 grn BH. Which bullet would have better terminal performance on white tails? I have used xtp before out to 125yds with no complaints,but would like to extend up to 200yds
Also when dropped charge to 90grn grouped opened little . So far with 95grn 1.5 in or little less do think I should try to up powder charge? Not sure how tight should expect out of gun which is TC triumph BC

Haven't used either of those bullets.
Have had good results with the Hornady all copper, dead within 20 yards. Also the FTX you find in the reloading section. I think it is used for lever guns like the 45-70, but not sure. I use 110 gr vol/77 gr weighed with a 250gr FTX so I think you have a little higher to go especially if trying to shoot further. My shots aren't much more that 100 yards so it works here.

Either way I would up the charge a bit. I believe BH recommends no higher than 120gr by volume as max mag charges. Are you weighing or volume loading?

BH has data on their website that may give you an idea on max charge for that bullet or weight class.

Haven't used either of those bullets.
Have had good results with the Hornady all copper, dead within 20 yards. Also the FTX you find in the reloading section. I think it is used for lever guns like the 45-70, but not sure. I use 110 gr vol/77 gr weighed with a 250gr FTX so I think you have a little higher to go especially if trying to shoot further. My shots aren't much more that 100 yards so it works here.

Either way I would up the charge a bit. I believe BH recommends no higher than 120gr by volume as max mag charges. Are you weighing or volume loading?

BH has data on their website that may give you an idea on max charge for that bullet or weight class.
I'm volume loading, maybe I'll try upping charge and see what is does with accuracy

Shane , what kind of grouping are you getting with that load? Also what's your gun? Thanks for info

The rifle is an old Knight disc that I swapped to the red disc system and a vented breech plug for the BH. Too much blow back with the disc. It would shoot them fine but would only let me get about five shots before needing to clean out the breech plug. They shoot MOA if I do my part. Velocity with the magneetospeed was 2027 FPS with the 250 gr FTX and 77 gr weighed of BH.

I switched to the 210gr Maximus last year but didn't use it. Haven't che ked the velocity on that but it also shoots 77gr weighed BH 209 into MOA groups.

Also, I found my ML to be much like a center fire rifle with regards to bullets amd for that matter sabots as well. If you find one that works well, keep the data. I tried a few and they just weren't compatible with my gun.

The Hornadys in 300 gr are very accurate. My friend Lewis killed this buffalo on the north rim of the Grand Canyon last October with them, one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.