hornady vs nosler

smokinjoe

Ok I have what maybe a stupid question. I am new to reloading and I want to know if I can reload hornady bullets using the nosler book. I have both books but the powder grains are very different with the same powder and bullet weight. I just dont want to hurt me or the gun. Thanks

You should use information provided for bullet you are using ie, Hornady for Hornady, Nosler for Nosler. Bearing surfaces and metallurgy being different are some of the reasons for the difference.

Thanks for the info. If you dont mind can I ask one more. What is the difference between imr4350 and h4350 other than imr and h?

smokinjoe,

IMR and H4895 are very similar, as are IMR and H4350. In both of these examples, you can usually interchange the data at the starting loads. The top loads will likely be different by some degree, and that's why we work our loads up slowly, watching for pressure signs as we go. If you've got data using precisely the same components you are, that's always the prefered way to go, but that's not always an option, I know.

The one exception to be aware of here in the IMR and H versions, are the two 4831s. IMR4831 is significantly faster than H4831, and these tow require totally different data. Not interchangeable, despite the the similar nomenclature.

Hope that helps!

I would not interchange any powders or bullets.

The Hodgdon H4831 is an extreme powder that has an additive that makes the powder much less sensitive to temperature changes.

I use the extreme powders with Hornady bullets because they shoot just as well for about half the cost.

You can have a safe load in hot or cold weather and it nearly fills the cartridge.

Basic Manual Download

Extreme Rifle Powders

IMR 4831 is #121 on the burn rate chart I have, H4831 is #125.

Burn rate and Mass are not the same critters.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts