Hornady Superformance Powder / Share Your Loads

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Has anyone tried the Superformance in the 300 PRC? I have several pounds it and have a 300 PRC on the way. I have other powder to try, but wouldn't mind the Superformance if it will work.

Has anyone tried the Superformance in the 300 PRC? I have several pounds it and have a 300 PRC on the way. I have other powder to try, but wouldn't mind the Superformance if it will work.

They publish a 73.5gn 300wsm load for the 155gn Hornady Amax, on the label. I thought I'd add that if there is a rough comparison with the PRC.

No luck from Hornady. They just gave me a link to their 300 PRC data that was already available. I guess I will just have to experiment. Or I should say I was going to. I just scored 8lbs of RL26. So, I will be using that.

I like this powder a lot and have used it in a handful of calibers. It's easy to get better velocities with, always accurate, not touchy, its affordable and always available so I use it quite a bit.

Off top of my closest note pad
26" 6.5 CM, Starline lrp brass, cci 200
147 DRT (lead free frangible) 46gr 2870
147 ELDM 46gr 2882
127gr LRX 46gr 3000

22" 6.5 CM same brass/primer
147 ELDM 46gr 2760
143 ELDX 46.5gr 2805
120 ELDM 49gr 3000
I also have good loads in 30-06 w 150 SST & 165 Interlock, 165 GK,

58.5 grains of Superformance generated an average velocity of 3225 fps with a 130 grain Nosler Accubond in new Remington cases with CCI BR2 large rifle primers seated to .030" off the lands with an extreme spread of 8 fps on a Nosler M48 rifle. These have Pac-Nor barrels. Accuracy in this particular gun was just outside an inch and barrel was 24" with 1:10 twist. START AT 54.5 GRAINS AND WORK UP! THIS WAS A MAX CHARGE IN THIS RIFLE!
What caliber?

Does anyone have any superformance data for use with a 338-06 Ackley? I know the Sherman guys are using it and Re17 with good luck in the 338 Sherman. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any superformance data for use with a 338-06 Ackley? I know the Sherman guys are using it and Re17 with good luck in the 338 Sherman. Any help would be appreciated.
Only used Superformance in an ar 6 5 Creedmore. The hornady number 9 manual I used was way off on loads. I had blown out primer and pierced priner bent bolt pin. That was at about less than the recommended max loads. I wrote to them and they updated number 10. Great powder use caution start low.

62 grains of superformance under a 130 grain sst in my 270 shoots lights out. 140 eldx also shoots great.. 3180 fps.

I'm ready to try out some new recipes and found out from my last work with Superformance, that 62.3gn blew primers using a 130gn GMX. I am a bit inclined to use the range that Majorspittles specified, with 56.0 as a max, so I'll see how it all goes.

I'm ready to try out some new recipes and found out from my last work with Superformance, that 62.3gn blew primers using a 130gn GMX. I am a bit inclined to use the range that Majorspittles specified, with 56.0 as a max, so I'll see how it all goes.
Be cautious. I used superformance for my Creedmore ar started the middle range of loads from Hornady 9 manual. Nearly destroyed my rifle. Blew out a primer and bent the bolt guide pin. Factory loads worked fine so tried the hand loads and those were a disaster. I did contact Hornady and they changed the loads in number 10. I still had a primer pierced with factory loads after a new bolt and checked head space. So I might still have serious problems. Was a new gun

Make sure you work up to any load... Every rifle is so different .. New brass seems to take a little more pressure and after you fire it a couple times you will know if you are safe.. I bought a different lot of powder another 8 lbs and I have had to back down to 58 grains to stay out of pressure.. So, Always work up to where your rifle hits pressure and then back off no matter what anyone else shoots in their gun.. Be safe and happy shooting

It didn't help that it is not common or published knowledge that the Superformance in Hornady's loaded ammo, is not the same Superformance powder that Hodgdon makes. I can't say that I've seen this before, without a clear disclaimer.

It didn't help that it is not common or published knowledge that the Superformance in Hornady's loaded ammo, is not the same Superformance powder that Hodgdon makes. I can't say that I've seen this before, without a clear disclaimer.
Yup they do a special blend for the ammo they make... They sell us a totally different superformance.