Hornady SST: Load to Cannelure?

General RE LEE

I loaded up 180 grain SSTs over some Ramshot Hunter 59.3-60.2 grains to do load testing for a new Tikka 30 06. Instead of loading to SAAMI max length spec I loaded to where the cannelure is at the case mouth, about 3.240 COAL. Loads definitely compress at 60.2 grains but not too bad.

Anyone load these to the cannelure? That is how they are loaded in the factory ammo and it looks clean.

I hate to admit but I'm OCD and that cannelure looks unsightly sticking far out from the case mouth lol.
I loaded 7mm 162 sst bullets .077 from lands in a 7 RM. Cannelure was way out. They shot best there. I loaded a 270 wsm with the 150 sst and seated it to cannelure, but that's because it grouped good there. No one ever looked at my 7mm rounds and asked about the cannelure sticking out. I never really thought about it.

I load 150 SSTs to the cannelure in 30-06. I'm mag length limited in a Browning A-Bolt II so I messed with powders to find something decent and rolled with that seating depth plus an FCD. Superperformance worked for me. It's a 22" sporter barrel with a 2-7x scope and I can hit 8" gongs out to 600, which is about twice as far as I'd shoot that rifle at something alive. 61.4gr, no pressure signs, 2887 on the chrony.

I loaded 7mm 162 sst bullets .077 from lands in a 7 RM. Cannelure was way out. They shot best there. I loaded a 270 wsm with the 150 sst and seated it to cannelure, but that's because it grouped good there. No one ever looked at my 7mm rounds and asked about the cannelure sticking out. I never really thought about it.

Thank you although I don't really care what other people think about my loaded ammo it's me. Sometimes I worry about myself cause I don't even get upset anymore when I discover I left my fly unzipped in public.

I have had 30-06 that would not shoot as well loaded to cannular so I did as Gunpowder does I ignored the cannular and loaded till the groups showed me what it liked best.
The SST bullet is close to the old Interlock bullet but is a secant ogive bullet and the old Interlock is a tangent ogive bullet.
Being Tangent Ogive bullet didn't stop it from being one of the best killing bullets I have ever used and I expect the same from the SST bullets.

I load the 139gr SST on my 7mm-08 with the cannelure just above the case mouth, this is due to magazine lenght limits and it groups great. The 162gr SST on my 7mm Rem Mag sits close to the lands where it groups best and has the cannelure far away from the case mouth, now that I look at them they do look weird LOL. Both have the cannelure where they group best.

I am sure the animals taken down in the past and future did not know or will care where the cannelure is.

Interesting I noticed last night the COAL listed for some of the different bullets in Hornady's 11th edition is under the max SAAMI COAL for 30 06 of 3.340. The lengths listed would have the cannelure even with the case mouth.

Attachments

• 8AE356C4-B503-4707-B8B6-C3C2853351EA.png
    8AE356C4-B503-4707-B8B6-C3C2853351EA.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 269
Loaded some 117gr SST in my son's.257 Wby. The cannelure is above the case mouth to arrive at the desired length. They shot quite well. I ignore the cannelure position, just load them to your desired length.