Hornady says NO to the .300WSM

sdkidaho

I emailed and asked if they carried any .300WSM ammunition:

I'm wondering if you produce any rifle ammunition in .300 WSM? Your Superformance ammunition looks like something I would like to try but I'm not able to find anything in .300 WSM at all on your list of available products.

Is that a cartridge you manufacture or plan to? Thanks for your time.

Their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. Sorry we don't and won't. A royalty is required. You might note WSM's are being chambered by fewer gun company's because of inherent feeding problems, increased manufacturing costs, and royalty.
Thank you again for your inquiry.

So is that true? There is inherent feeding problems, and increased manufacturing costs?

The Royalty part is definitely true.

There are occasional complaints as to feeding but not enough to kill the cartridge.

I had one and had no issue and liked it a bit better than the 300mag.

I had no feeding issues either.

Only time will tell if it has the legs to stand the test of time but I would bet it does...

My Browning Eclipse in 300 wsm feeds great an shoots really great to 1K yards....no problem here:D

Between myself and friends we probably have 8 WSM's. No feeding problems reported. I consider it a non-issue with this cartridge in a well designed action.

Translation. Hornady is buddy buds with ruger and would rather make new mostly redundant cartridges instead of supporting other calibers. Dont get me wrong, I like hornady a lot. But i scratch my head when I look at the creedmoor and the new ruger compact magnums. Seems to me if they had just supported the 260 and the wsm's they would have been better off. However, im not a marketing major :)

The short fatties can have feed issues. However, there are very simple solutions. The WSM's are superb performers and here to stay.

+1 here to stay for the 300 at least, love ours, no feeding issues.....My Tikka, my Uncle's winchester both run great and my next rifle will be the savage lo pro varmint in 300 wsm. The royalties issue is what it is but it's to bad they can't work it out, Hornady will miss out on that market.

I have a Ruger in 300 WSM and had a Ruger in 270WSM (till it was stolen) both fed real well. To replace the Ruger we bought a Remington Model 7 in 270WSM for the wife it feeds real well also. I also have a load worked up for the 300WSM with a Barnes 180TSX that has proven itself in 3 different rifles.

Translation. Hornady is buddy buds with ruger and would rather make new mostly redundant cartridges instead of supporting other calibers. Dont get me wrong, I like hornady a lot. But i scratch my head when I look at the creedmoor and the new ruger compact magnums. Seems to me if they had just supported the 260 and the wsm's they would have been better off. However, im not a marketing major :)

I just dont get why they didnt make a .300 and .338 based off of the full length .375 Ruger case.

ok I have to ask what is the marketing theory of these redundant cartridges like the the 375 ruger or 300 wsm ? Admittedly I think the wsm is silly and redundant, I did not own either a wsm or a 300wm and needed one. the difference is minimal and I would not claim either had any significant advantage when shooting 180 grain bullets. Obviously I went with the wsm primarily because the elk season was upon me and I didn't want to scope my L1a1 at that time, I decided I wanted a tikka and ran off to find one and the wsm popped up first. I LOVE MINE DON'T GET ME WRONG but I never understood what winchester gained by reproducing there own mag with a little tweak.............. Did the introduction of the wsm spur sales of 300 mags from people who would not have bought a long action 300 and the ammunition to shoot it?.......... royalties , didn't they get royalties on the long 300?........ gun rags advertising magnum performance when they didn't already, don't think I have seen one that didn't ramble about an old magnum in one of there advertisers new rifles as much as a new mag from one of there advertisers in whoevers rifle................... short action/ rimless vs long action /rimmed ........so what? anyone have a theory from a marketing perspective?