Hornady Replaces Berger on Gunwerks

I believe if you do some searching it was Berger that decided to cut back on how many sponsors they had. Can't really blame them in my mind. They can't keep up with production now. Their name is already highly recognized in hunting, competition, tactical, and LR shooting so they have a very solid base of customers to rely on.

I may throw out a bit of caution to the bashing going on. Business and free markets is what makes our world go around guys. If you don't like it don't watch it but the reality is they are doing what every other TV show does. Have you watched any of them lately. They are basically ads for their sponsors, as are the magazines, and retail stores and everything else in our sport. Folks need to sell things to stay in business and provide us with the gear we all want. And Gunwerks, like them or not, have been and still are on the cutting edge of development in this sport. Their rangefinder alone has transformed LR shooting and they are just getting started with it. Now many other companies are wanting that technology in their systems. I don't own a thing from Gunwerks but do appreciate what they have done for this sport.

Scot E.

Nobody is bashing anybody in particular. I was making fun of just about EVERY reality or sporting TV show on the air today... I hate reality TV...Which is why watch Family Guy, comedy movies, and stuff like that, because it's supposed to be stupid & funny...Not a sad attempt at pushing products on people who don't possess the capacity to decide for themselves. Hunting shows have thrived for decades thanks to stupid rednecks buying everything they push that doesn't actually work.

You know how much cover scent I use? None!
You know how many times I've swapped bullet, rifle, ammo, or scope brands because of a TV show? Never.

I use what works for me because it HAS worked for me for years, and it's proven itself to me.

Sure, we all get the fundamental need of Sponsors to support a show. Just pointing out that showcasing a Sponsors product in a show doesn't necessarily make that product better or worse than a non-sponsored product. If Bergers were great when they were a Sponsor, are they junk when they're not a Sponsor? For all I care, outdoor shows can tell everyone when the sun comes up by hocking Rolex Watches but at some point I just not watching. I enjoyed watching June Cleaver prancing around the kitchen with perfect hair, pearls, high heels and a new dress but that doesn't look like my kitchen and it never will.

BINGO!!! I think Scott E might have misinterpreted my humorous anecdote.

For long range hunting, the A-Max bullets work great, always have, but they have to be used in a very specialized way. You really have to be careful to match them up well to your muzzle velocity, game hunted and range you will be hunting at.

At close range, with muzzle velocities over 3000 fps, they are going to expand VIOLENTLY, even more so then the berger. At ranges under 300 yards you better be careful on anything larger then medium deer.

As range increases, they fall into their comfort zone and really start to perform well. From 400 yards out to 1/2 mile or so, they are nearly identical to the bergers in terminal performance from what I have seen and witnessed from others using them.

At ranges past 1000 yards, I would say they expand more reliably then the bergers simply because of their tipped design.

That said, I have also seen them fail miserably at closer ranges. My brother hammered a big mule deer buck dead in the shoulder at just shy of 300 yards many years ago with his 7mm STW, flattened the buck only to see him jump up and dive into a coulee not to be seen again until he was a mile away and on property where we had no chance to recover him.

At the impact site, we found the broken off shoulder knuckle. Now, how this bone was blown out of the deer on a broadside shot and not enough damage was done to the vitals to stop the animal for over 2 miles of running is still a mystery to both of us.

Had the shot impacted an inch farther back, likely it would have taken out both lungs with ease.

My point is simply this. Remember what these bullets are. We get into a lot of trouble sometimes with match bullets which perform VERY well at long range but then when most hunters take them out thinking they will use them at long range and an animal shows up at 150 to 200 yards or on hard angled shots, these bullets are asked to do work they were NOT intended to do.

The higher the muzzle velocity, the poorer your results will be at closer ranges or on harder quartering shot angles. Keep this in mind and understand the weaknesses and strengths of your bullets and use them as they should be.

If misused, we will be hearing more about A-max failures just as we hear from time to time about Berger bullet failures when in fact, 99% of the time its simply the error in the hunter using the wrong bullet for the job at hand.

Used correctly, the A-Max and Berger will perform amazingly well. Used incorrectly, things can go bad very quickly. Last bit of recommendation, use the heaviest A-Max you can use in your rifle.

I know - this is an older post, but good all around advice Kirby. One question? How did you and your brother conclude the bone fragments/damage was from the off shoulder? Did you see damage on the exit side of the deer. Curious because that seems all but impossible. Must have been a bionic buck... either that or he saw a Miss Universe class doe across the coulee and was running on testosterone... :)

Never mind Kirby. I read your post again and I believe by broken off shoulder knuckle, you were simply stating the bone broke off of the shoulder knuckle. Not necessarily the off-side, exit-side, shoulder. My Bad.

That's why I quit watching hunting and fishing shows....It's always 20 mins of advertising, and 10 mins of actual show...

"Hi I'm Butt Dickkiss, and welcome to this week's episode of hunting. This week we're hunting ManBearPigs in the Canadian Alps using our new Winchester ManBearPig Master Blaster rifle chambered in .575 WGAF, shooting the new Winchester piggly wiggly mountain dew 875gr roach stompers, and looking through the all new DayForce XSN 5.5-200x84mm scope with the new laser guided software, which is the same as used on the military's ICBM's, and we're driving down there in the #4 Aquafina, Logitech, Standard, Sprite, Anco, Valvoline, Stihl, CaqQuest, OSHA approved Chevrolet SUV that was given to us by Tom Dick & Harry's Chevy Olds Classic Cadillac....."

Honestly that's about how stupid TV advertisments and hunting and fishing shows have gotten, IMO.

So true...So true

I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember a TV show called The American Sportsman that aired on Sunday afternoons in the 70's and 80's? I used to love that show when I was a kid, lots of great hunting and fishing without all the BS advertisements. Of course, at that time the network actually sponsored the show so there wasn't the pressure to pay the bills by non-stop advertising. That was back when the networks actually put on things worth watching instead of junk like American idol or shows about nymphomaniacs trying to pick a temporary husband out of 100 guys. You could watch the American sportsman and see folks out really enjoying hunting these exotic places without the constant sales pitch of some guy trying to convince you a break action single shot with a blister pack Chinese scope is the perfect setup for Alaska brown bears.

Every now and then I'll sit down and try to watch some of today's hunting shows but it's a futile effort. I can't make it through a 30 minute episode with the constant sales pitch.

That's why I quit watching hunting and fishing shows....It's always 20 mins of advertising, and 10 mins of actual show...

"Hi I'm Butt Dickkiss, and welcome to this week's episode of hunting. This week we're hunting ManBearPigs in the Canadian Alps using our new Winchester ManBearPig Master Blaster rifle chambered in .575 WGAF, shooting the new Winchester piggly wiggly mountain dew 875gr roach stompers, and looking through the all new DayForce XSN 5.5-200x84mm scope with the new laser guided software, which is the same as used on the military's ICBM's, and we're driving down there in the #4 Aquafina, Logitech, Standard, Sprite, Anco, Valvoline, Stihl, CaqQuest, OSHA approved Chevrolet SUV that was given to us by Tom Dick & Harry's Chevy Olds Classic Cadillac....."

Honestly that's about how stupid TV advertisments and hunting and fishing shows have gotten, IMO.

This might be the greatest post I've ever read on ANY forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.