Hornady Press Release

seem like this is a thing like how fabulous the WSM cartridges was supposed to be, on paper, but they really aint. I
There just aint no substitute for cubic inches. Bigger is best. Nuff said.

Good enough for me, 180 gr, 300 WSM at 100 yards.

300wsmGroup.jpg

It is a well known fact that the canister powders available to the public are very different that the bulk blended powders used by the Major ammunition manufactures. Each time they load a lot of ammunition they send the powder that will be used to the lab to verify the performance and make adjustments for that specific load. The next lot may or may not have the same charge weight as the previous one.

It is a well known fact that the canister powders available to the public are very different that the bulk blended powders used by the Major ammunition manufactures. Each time they load a lot of ammunition they send the powder that will be used to the lab to verify the performance and make adjustments for that specific load. The next lot may or may not have the same charge weight as the previous one.

It is NOT a well known fact - it's the other way around - the graded canister powders are blended to get the burning rate that we expect. Bulk powders are not blended - if they were, the ammunition makers would not have to do extensive testing from lot to lot.

There are no secret "proprietary propellants" or secret loading techniques.

There is an "Off the shelf" propellant that fits every burning rate slot, for mid sized cases.

If they got the velocity, then you can do it also.

Sorry old buddy but I talked to one of the guys I compete with that is a Ballistician at Hornady and one of my friends at Marlin who was part of the development program for the 308 Marlin and the response they gave me was not in support of yours to put it politely.. I met a Process Engineer at one of the first Dallas SHOT Shows and we became friends who (has since retired from Olin David Towbridge) and had many conversations about this very subject but whatever you say.

Am i write

That must mean I do know what I'm talking about Boss.

Funny isn't it thanks Boss isn't it funny you ask someone to call hornady and confirm but they think they know evrrything.

Cheers Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.