Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL gauge verses Sinclair bullet seating depth tool

Mrvmax

I've been using the Hornady tool for a while and it seems to work well for me but after reading about the Sinclair tool I decided to buy it and try it out on my NOS Weatherby Mark V Alaskan and Nosler M48 Independence Handgun.

Somewhere people were commenting about problems with the Hornady but I have never had an issue. I had to buy an extra delrin insert for the Sinclair so it would fit my Weatherby chamber. I started off using the Sinclair tool after watching their video on how to use it. I got all my measurements then decided to try the Hornady and compare. FYI I used the Hornady comparator tool to measure from the bullet ogive on both tools.

So after using both tools I compared my results and there was a difference. Not much though, .001 between the Hornady and Sinclair. I cannot say I prefer one over the other, the Sinclair does not require a new modified case for each caliber but the delian insert on the Sinclair does not fit all rifles. I think both have their plusses and minuses but both ultimately worked well.

With the Hornady, do you measure CBTD of the modified case and the fired case? Then add that to the CBTO measurement. Might be your difference. Hornady over sizes the modified cases.

With the Hornady, do you measure CBTD of the modified case and the fired case? Then add that to the CBTO measurement. Might be your difference. Hornady over sizes the modified cases.
Great point, with Hornady I'm only using the modified case and with the Sinclair I'm using a fired case.

With the Hornady tool you can either send a fired case to Hornady and have them drill and thread it so that you use a fireformed case rather than their generic case or you can drill and tap the threads yourself.

With the Hornady tool you can either send a fired case to Hornady and have them drill and thread it so that you use a fireformed case rather than their generic case or you can drill and tap the threads yourself.
I've made my own but for what I'm doing the modified case is fine. It's on my Matk V and it will probably end of having a lot of free bore anyway. I checked more out of curiosity than anything.

Great point, with Hornady I'm only using the modified case and with the Sinclair I'm using a fired case.
I make my own modified case using a 5/16"-36 tap. You can get them by themselves or with a drill bit kit at Amazon. I use Hornady's LNL, but I might have to get Sinclair's because I cannot pull it out easily off my Kimber 84M Hunter. It has a pin (bolt release) on the way. I have to unscrew the cartridge while in the chamber, and it is an inconvenience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.