Hornady "LOCK-AN-LOAD" progressive press question!!

Alibiiv

Currently I have a Dillon 650XL press that is set up for loading .45 ACP. When the press is running good, it is running good and it does pump out ammo. But....it's like a computer, when it's good it's good and when it isn't the it's a PITA. I am quite mechanical and analytical; however, for some reason this press gives me issues to say the least!! I oftentimes load up small batches of handgun ammunition, maybe 100-200 rounds at a time; 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, 10mm, .44 special and .44 magnum. I have an RCBS Supreme press, and...that's what gets used to make up these batches. For me to get set up on the Dillon to run these small batches off really is not worth the time because we don't shoot these rounds this often, the cost to set the Dillon up to run small batches really does not seem fiscally sound to say the least with the cost of an upgrade kit, and then there's the issue of setting it up and getting the press to run right for only 100-200 rounds. Today I received an email from Brownells advertising the Hornady, Lock-an-Loan progressive press for $549 and I get free shipping. I watched the video on this press, it seems to be pretty much straight forward and making a change over to another cartridge seemed pretty easy with the press's lock and load die adapters. The question is has anyone had any experience with these presses, and are there any other presses that members would consider/suggest for a progressive press.

The Hornady progressive is the only press I've owned. Been loading for 25yrs or so. I can't compare it to any other, but complete caliber swaps are not a big deal to me. I have never timed it, but would guess maybe 5 to 10 minutes total. Most of that would be getting the powder thrower adjusted. I will only use the powder thrower for handgun ammo and some plinking ammo for an AR (using ball powder).

The Hornady progressive is the only press I've owned. Been loading for 25yrs or so. I can't compare it to any other, but complete caliber swaps are not a big deal to me. I have never timed it, but would guess maybe 5 to 10 minutes total. Most of that would be getting the powder thrower adjusted. I will only use the powder thrower for handgun ammo and some plinking ammo for an AR (using ball powder).
Thank you for the reply. I've looked at other progressive presses, this one seems to give the best bang for the buck. It also seems to be the easiest press to make change overs with. I think that if I had a press that is easier to make change overs with I would shoot the larger cartridges more than I do now with the .22s. I looked at the RCBS automatic press, it looked quite complicated to get set up and the cost is almost double the Hornady press.

I have the Hornady AP, and load 22 TCM, 32 H&R, 357 mag, 10 MM, 41 mag, 44 mag, and, 45 Colt
on it. Once you have the dies set in the LNL bushings, the change over is pretty quick. I try to get enough components to load 4-500 rounds at a time. I like it, and it is probably the best value for low volume progressive reloading. If i were to load 1000+ rounds in a session I would go Dillon.

I ran one for several years at work. Worked perfectly and much more efficient than my RCBS 4x4. Great press!

I've used a hornady progressive since late 80's early 90's? and have pumped a lot of pistol ammunition through it. I never made the change when they came out with the newer press even though it was very reasonable cost wise to convert because I never had any issues with the old one. That said, it is mechanical and some parts such as the timing with the pall's need to be adjusted and the shell plate has to be tightened down just right for everything to work properly. I've liked it enough that I gave up 2 Dillon square deals and only run it now

I had a 650 for awhile and like you if you leave it set for one Cartridge and load it works great. To change though it's a PITa just for a few hundred rounds. I sold it to a good friend of mine. Year or two went by and I decided to try the Hornady lnl. It has it's quirks to but it's a far user friendly press.
Seems people go Dillon to hornady but very few the other direction. I've found that most Dillon fans have never used any other presses. That being said Dillon does make good stuff.

Currently I have a Dillon 650XL press that is set up for loading .45 ACP. When the press is running good, it is running good and it does pump out ammo. But....it's like a computer, when it's good it's good and when it isn't the it's a PITA. I am quite mechanical and analytical; however, for some reason this press gives me issues to say the least!! I oftentimes load up small batches of handgun ammunition, maybe 100-200 rounds at a time; 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, 10mm, .44 special and .44 magnum. I have an RCBS Supreme press, and...that's what gets used to make up these batches. For me to get set up on the Dillon to run these small batches off really is not worth the time because we don't shoot these rounds this often, the cost to set the Dillon up to run small batches really does not seem fiscally sound to say the least with the cost of an upgrade kit, and then there's the issue of setting it up and getting the press to run right for only 100-200 rounds. Today I received an email from Brownells advertising the Hornady, Lock-an-Loan progressive press for $549 and I get free shipping. I watched the video on this press, it seems to be pretty much straight forward and making a change over to another cartridge seemed pretty easy with the press's lock and load die adapters. The question is has anyone had any experience with these presses, and are there any other presses that members would consider/suggest for a progressive press.
After owning a 650 for twenty years, I can tell you that knowing what I know now, I would NEVER buy one, and I was a experienced reloader on a RCBS Rock Chucker before I bought one. With about $2k invested in it for 4 calibers, and loading small quantities like 500, no way. To do a 1,000 or more these days? (insert here no components available for 2 years plus)? I feel sorry for all the guys that rushed out and bought one and are sitting there doing something a Hornady, Lyman, RCBS can do a HELL OF A LOT EASIER. Just my 2cents based entirely on experience.

Dillon makes great presses.

Hornady makes great presses.

Both have quirks. Used both for a while, bought the Hornady LNL AP. 9mm, 40S&W, 5.56 x 1,000's. Would buy another before switching to Dillon or any other for progressive loading.

Bolt gun ammo - I stick with my Rock Chucker, old habits die hard.

Like others I have only used a LnL and only for pistol calibers. There was a learning curve. Some of the issues I dealt with were,
The rotating pivot adaptor on the case feeder would not rotate. solved that by waxing (paraffin) the the pivot and pivot adaptor surface.
Learning to watch the primer level is required, I ran out of primers and would leak powder a few times. You learn the feel and to visually watch the rod.
I lube cases, not required but makes the press run much smoother, keeps powder in the cases.
Learning how to set the powder drop/flare is really straight forward once you've done it a few times.
Highly recommend the RCBS lock out die or a powder check die that alerts screams at you, I can't watch every case when loading several hundred rounds.
Bottom line I like my Hornady LnL progressive.

I've ran my Hornady Progressive since the mid to late 80's and like the 650's powder dropper and primer system better. But the newer, redesigned Hornady dropper should be a big improvement. Honestly I'm considering running my single stage press for smaller runs. I might resize and taper crimp/ regular crimp on the progressive.

+1 on 650 changeovers being a PITA, but my answer was to get a SDB and a 550. 550 is super easy and fast to changeover and once changed much faster than single stage. I do the 6.5 guys setup for long range precision stuff and full progressive for bulk rifle ammo as well as "other" pistol calibers (45LC, 44M, 38spl, etc). For SDB I only run 9mm or 45ACP in volume changing only about every 3 months. Not saying best solution, just the one I currently use. No experince with Hornady presses but if my reloading room was bigger I'd consider some dedicated Lee progressive with no intent of changeovers. I know it's not as good as Hornady but very affordable.

JB

Dillon makes great presses.

Hornady makes great presses.

Both have quirks. Used both for a while, bought the Hornady LNL AP. 9mm, 40S&W, 5.56 x 1,000's. Would buy another before switching to Dillon or any other for progressive loading.

Bolt gun ammo - I stick with my Rock Chucker, old habits die hard.
I started out doing reloading on my RCBS Rock Chucker and it all worked out pretty well. There were a few minor annoyances (how primers were handled, etc) and I decided to upgrade to an RCBS Rebel press where all the downsides of the Rock Chucker got fixed. I am very satisfied and it is a great press.

I have two Dillon 550s and a Dillon 605. One 550 is set up for small primers and the other is set for large primers. My 650 has two complete primer bodies so all I have to swap the small primer and large primer bodies. I also bought some powder bars at an estate sale. I have my "pet" loads so I can just change out the bars and do not have calibrate the powder charges every time I change loads. It sure is different from I first started reloading. When I was in high school, I started with the table top Lee loader that just required a mallet to drive the brass in and out of the sizing die, drive out and seat the primers, and seat the bullets. Later, when I was in college and feeling feeling flush, I bought a Lyman 310 tool. I loaded 38 Special/.357 Magnums with it. Times have sure changed! Now I load for more than fifty calibers. Those Dillons sure come in handy!