Hornady Interlock's shredding -- have you had this happen?

SwedishSurprise

Shooting 140 grain Hornady Interlock 6.5mm bullets in my 1:8.66" twist rifle...and the target, oftentimes, had lots of little holes in it instead of the bullet. Have you had this happen with Interlocks?

Shooting 140 grain Hornady Interlock 6.5mm bullets in my 1:8.66" twist rifle...and the target, oftentimes, had lots of little holes in it instead of the bullet. Have you had this happen with Interlocks?
Nope! That's odd, does your rifle do this with any other bullets/have you tried other kinds? That's got me puzzled.

That exact bullet shoots great out of my 6.5 RPM, tight groups and deadly on deer.

Had that happen once - was hitting the gravel in front of the target at 200 and the target was getting peppered. It was completely confusing at first.
Because it was raining, couldn't see the ground strike or gravel splash.
Took it back to 50 yards, not on target. Back to 25, aimed for dead center - not on target. Aimed for top dead center, hole at the bottom.
IIRC, QD Scope, and something was wedged in the front preventing a proper seating, so I was something like -20MOA.

How fast you pushing it? I can't imagine it coming apart in flight like a light varmint bullet can do...I did have one fragment (.30 cal 180IL started at 2910fps) on a cow elk (135 steps) with a high lung shot, just ribs on entry, shredded the lungs and just fragments against the off side ribs. Go figure?

How fast you pushing it? I can't imagine it coming apart in flight like a light varmint bullet can do...I did have one fragment (.30 cal 180IL started at 2910fps) on a cow elk (135 steps) with a high lung shot, just ribs on entry, shredded the lungs and just fragments against the off side ribs. Go figure?
And I'll bet that elk didn't go far at all after that "Bullet failure" right ;)

Ha! You are right indeed! Funny thing is.. That was a finishing shot. I had dropped her, running, with a spine hit, behind the shoulder. It broke the vertebrae and wadded up in it, no pass through. Rolled her, she tried to get up on front end when I popped her high lung. Just "opposite" of how I figured they would have performed! ha Any elk on the ground is a good one and the bullet that put them there is too! :)

Every experienced elk hunter I know has advised me that "if they're not on the ground keep shooting until they are". I have yet to take one, going elk hunting late September so here's hoping. Bringing my .300 win, haven't decided what projectile yet. I have a stupid accurate load with the 225 eldm but it's a single feed proposition and I'm thinking I'll work up a magazine length load with either the 180 trophy bonded tip or 210 accubond long range (I have these bullets already)

In all the shooting I've done, I've only had this happen once. It was with Hornady 50gr sx bullets out of a mini14. I was pushing them a little trying to find a fur load. Up close on paper you could see a gray trail around the bullet hole. A little further was spray and an irregular hole. That same bullet out of a slower twist barrel worked very well.
In your case I'd be surprised if they are coming apart in flight but combining faster twist and higher velocity could do it.
Every experienced elk hunter I know has advised me that "if they're not on the ground keep shooting until they are". I have yet to take one, going elk hunting late September so here's hoping. Bringing my .300 win, haven't decided what projectile yet. I have a stupid accurate load with the 225 eldm but it's a single feed proposition and I'm thinking I'll work up a magazine length load with either the 180 trophy bonded tip or 210 accubond long range (I have these bullets already)