Hornady Interlock: A Classic Performer?

What you have astutely pointed out can be said of several old standbys. I have had the same experiance with Nozler partition's, Speer grand slams in the 180 -190 grain persuasions running at 2900 - 3000 fps out of a Win Mag. These bullets could be bought without mortgaging the house back in the 70's and 80's. They were considered "premium" but did not command the differential in price between plain vanilla. I believe the difference today is not performance but marketing.

I loaded up a ladder for my Tikka T3x 3006 of 165 grain Hornady Interlocks last night. 56-57.5 grains of H4350 to see what groups best.

My goal is to find a simple, affordable bullet that will anchor whitetail at ranges from 0-300 yards.

Anyone have experience, feedback with the Hornady Interlocks? I used them in factory American Whitetail ammo in a 308 and it laid them down.
Years ago I shot a whitetail buck in the left shoulder at 50 yards with my 06 using 180 interlock. It broke his shoulder and fragmented without further penetration, he ran about 30 yards and dropped but required a follow up. I contacted Hornady and the response was "wrong bullet, use Interbonds, not interlocks" …

Hornady interlocks and other cup and cores are solid options for deer sized game when kept below 3000fps. I have seen many deer die a quick death to a interlock bullet and the like. Not fancy, no nonsense and affordable, what's not to like.

My load for old .270 has been IMR4350 and 150 grain Hornady Interlock for over 30 years. They have killed many pronghorn and deer. All have been passthrough shots with large exit holes. They would have been easy to track if they weren't dead right there.

6.5-06, 129 gr. Interlock, 3 pt. mule deer. First round went in behind left shoulder and out ahead of the right shoulder. Follow up shot broke the right hind leg just below the hip, went through the body, broke the front left leg just below the shoulder joint and then exited. Can't much more
penatration then that.

6.5-06, 129 gr. Interlock, 3 pt. mule deer, 130 yards. First round went in behind left shoulder and out ahead of the right shoulder. Follow up shot broke the right hind leg just below the hip, went through the body, broke the front left leg just below the shoulder joint and then exited. Can't get much more penetration then that.

Here is a Interlock I recovered from a big South Dakota white tail shot with an angling shot at about 150 yds. on the run with
a 270Win. It was a 140gr. .277 cal and weighed 82.7 grs. almost 60% retention, the lead core fell out when I took it out of the fare side hide! Guess good performance for a plain jane hunting bullet!

Attachments

• DSC00925.JPG
    DSC00925.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC00924.JPG
    DSC00924.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I have had really good performance with the 7mm 154 in game and also accuracy in a number of calibers. The 140, 6.5, is very accurate in the 264 WM and is devastating on white tails.